PDA

View Full Version : Expedite Descent

On standby
20th Aug 2006, 09:31
When ATC ask us to expedite descent what is the minimum rate required?

spekesoftly
20th Aug 2006, 09:50
According to UK CAP 493, expedite climb/descent is used: "To require a pilot to climb/descend at best rate". It does not specify a minimum ROC or ROD.

On standby
21st Aug 2006, 11:34
Thanks for the info'. Will look it up.

lobby
21st Aug 2006, 12:53
The BEST rate for who? The Pilots, ATC or the Accountants.

eastern wiseguy
21st Aug 2006, 13:35
I think ULTIMATELY the pilots.......climb like your life depends on it ....because IT DOES:cool:

Carnage Matey!
22nd Aug 2006, 23:42
Giving the aircrafts best rate could lead to some very interesting TCAS events.:eek:

catocontrol
22nd Aug 2006, 23:45
what about more than normal? ;)

Jagohu
24th Aug 2006, 21:21
Giving the aircrafts best rate could lead to some very interesting TCAS events.:eek:
In this case not giving it can lead some even more interesting TCAS events though... :)

begbie
8th Sep 2006, 09:09

I personally would not ask you to expedite all the way when directly underneath/on top of another aircraft. I work in london TMA and generally ask only for expidition thru a level before the cleared level in these circumstances. I'm sure most of my colleagues are the same. My feeling is that some controllers use the term far too often when it is completely unnecessary. When controllers use expedite in every second transmission I feel that they reduce the effectiveness when thay really do need it. A pilot on frequency hearing expedite every two mins may start to doubt how much control the controller actually has, i know I would!

Jerricho
8th Sep 2006, 14:56
IMHO, "expedite" instructions should include the reason for the expedition.

"Maintain 3000, expedite through 5000, traffic holding at *wherever* at 6000........."

FlightDetent
11th Sep 2006, 09:42
In this case not giving it can lead some even more interesting TCAS events though... :)

Nice :ok: :D :D :D

KiloKilo
11th Sep 2006, 15:13
I rarely use expedite climb or descent. But in any case I do mean the best you can give me. And it is in your benefit because it is then always for seperation. However when a pilot reads back "Roger expediting" I still have no clue on his ROC or ROD as it is not clear at the time what the expedite really is that the aircraft can do or what the pilot is willing to do. So basically I still am not 100% sure this way if I can guarantee separation. Better would be ofcourse to give a specific rate, just a shame if it turned out the pilot could do better.
As well the perception of an expedite climb or descent from a pilot's point of view vary a lot. Sometimes when I give to the same company, same path, same aircraft type a ROD of 1500' or more one pilot will come back as if it would be a low ROD and another pilot will readback; Expediting!

In other words I try not to use it, but when I do I suggest you go down like a brick or climb like a rocket ;)

Dances with Boffins
12th Sep 2006, 14:14
climb like a rocket ;)
Unless you're in a A340, in which case just close your eyes and pray.. :{

MancBoy
12th Sep 2006, 15:59
I've seen various rates from 6500 fpm from a 767 to 1000 fpm for a TU154, which nearly got my fingers burnt and would never attempt again by the way!

Expedite can never be used to ensure separation and in my opinion should only be used as a last resort if headings aren't going to work.

The best phraseology I have heard from a TC controller is "wop on up", not exactly standard.

KiloKilo
12th Sep 2006, 16:55
Unless you're in a A340, in which case just close your eyes and pray.. :{

But that is part of ATC-101;

Never climb an A340 straight to it's requested level; use as many IFL's as you can. Specially in the summer period. During winter periods ons sometimes can have the luxury to skip an IFL. ;) ;)

dunadan06
16th Sep 2006, 08:14
I use "increase your ROD/ROC" or something like "Descent FL060, to be out of 090 within 15Nm".
It does the job, usually:rolleyes:
When I use "expedite", I mean "expedite", really:eek: ;)

KiloKilo
16th Sep 2006, 10:45
My experience using a location or time as a condition to a descent doesn't always work with some companies from a particular region. And then to use it for separation can be tricky.

dunadan06
16th Sep 2006, 11:12
My experience using a location or time as a condition to a descent doesn't always work with some companies from a particular region. And then to use it for separation can be tricky.
If the condition in time/distance doesn't work, by the time you find out the "deal" is not done :eek: , it's time to use the "expedite, you :mad: " phraseology (with the right voice :O )

M609
16th Sep 2006, 16:14
Heard this while eavesdropping on Vilnius APP some time last year.

Scenario: Formation of 2 F-16s in radar trail inbound Vilnius for a practice approach, passing FL200-ish.

Vilnius approach: "MA01 flight, expedite decendt to alt. 4000ft"

A/C: "Wilco, MA01"

50-ish seconds later......

A/C: "MA01 4000ft maintaining"

Solved the first conflict beautifully, but they did plummet past another a/c! :ouch:

Never use it unless you know what to expect! :D

Made a dreary day as liason in Siauliai tower a bit more fun :E