PDA

View Full Version : Missed Approaches offcircling approaches at EHAM/AMS

ooizcalling
19th Aug 2006, 16:47
Normaly a missed approach off a circling approach involves joining the missed approach proceedure of the let down that you used by the most expediant route.
At AMS however, in times past at least, if you did an approach onto one runway, eg 27 but then circled for another eg 24 and then, for whatever reason, had to carry out a missed approach you did not join the original (R27) missed approach, but instead joined the missed approach of the runway of intended landing (R24).
Is that proceedure still current ?

discountinvestigator
19th Aug 2006, 18:13
It has been some years since I worked on AMS approaches, but I would offer you the following questions:
1. Were you ever cleared for an approach to Runway 27, or were you cleared for the Runway 24 approach, just happening to use the approach aids set up for a straight-in landing (and environmental noise allowance?) for Runway 27? If you were cleared for the offset approach to Runway 24, then you would carry out the missed approach procedure for Runway 24.

2. Does AIP The Netherlands say anything different?

3. Can you name anywhere that you would take out an approach plate for say Runway 09, which could well be circle of an inbound 270 heading, and you would then chose to carry out the missed approach procedure published not for Runway 09 but for Runway 27?

I would assume, but please check with those current, that if you are cleared for an approach, then it is also the clearance to follow that missed approach procedure if you need to go-around, unless directed by ATC or by the Integrated Aeronautical Information Publication and NOTAM updates.

ooizcalling
19th Aug 2006, 19:32
1) There were no approaches for Rwy 24 at the time, not sure if there is now (and therefor the question), so it was an ILS R27 with a break-off R24.
2) The AIP for NL used to say that once you had broken off the instrument approach, ie. for the circling manoeuver, then from that point you would, if required, carry out the missed approach for the intended landing Rwy.
3) That's precisely why I asked the question in the first place. Your 09/27 example doesn't apply because that is the same Rwy albeit different ends, but a break-off to another Rwy such as 27/24 was where it applied.
Can anyone state with certainty the current status (or even confirm my recollections of how it used to be).
Please note, I feel far more comfortable picking up the missed aproach proceedure off the approach that you just did rather than that of the intended landing Rwy.

DFC
20th Aug 2006, 19:39
Yes it is still the case. It applies to circling, side-step or break-off for another runway.

In the event of a missed approach while circling;

1. Inform ATC

2. Turn to the intended landing runway and intercept runway track of that runway while climbing to 2000ft.

Also applies to Groningen, Maastricht and Rotterdam.

Regards,

DFC

ooizcalling
21st Aug 2006, 09:24
Thanks for the confirmation DFC. I have access to Jepp charts when at work but have not (yet) found these instructions but I'm glad you confirmed my memory of them. Do you know where they are written ?

Interesting concept eh D.I. Your missed approach could in some circumstances take you directly towards the next inbound traffic. Scarry !

DFC
23rd Aug 2006, 16:10
For Jeppesens, differences such as this will be in the ATC section under the appropriate country.

Regards,

DFC

Piltdown Man
27th Aug 2006, 00:35
Not every missed approach is to 2,000' though, some initially level off at 1,500'. However, I do like the SID's - every one of them you go straight up to FL60, no exceptions.