PDA

View Full Version : SVFR - Can anyone help

steve_atc
19th Aug 2006, 16:20
Can anyone explain, as briefly & as simply as possible, SVFR & the rules/regulations attached to it. I understand it is a flight made in a CTR which is Class A , or in any other CTR in IMC or at night..... but is there something a little deeper that im not picking up on, surely there must be some weather minima? And is there any difference for a helicopter flying SVFR?

Im finding it hard to grasp the whole picture and im sure its not as complicated as im making it.

Thanks for your help.

airac
19th Aug 2006, 18:03
Try to think of it as an IFR flight that cannot comply with all the CAS regulations. i.e it is a special favour to allow an A/C to enter or leave CAS although the A/C or crew cannot meet all the requirements of IFR flight within that airspace.
Thats about as simple as I can put it.

happ1ness
19th Aug 2006, 18:10
Try this which also might help you with the weather requirements?
SPECIAL VFR (SVFR)
Only available in CONTROL ZONES.
Clearance must be obtained and followed
The pilot must remain clear of cloud and in sight of the surface and with a minimum flight visibility of 10km (3km with IMC rating). Will not be issued when visibility is less than 1800m or ceiling less than 600'.
Pilot absolved from remaining 1500' above the highest fixed obstacle within 600m, but must still be able to glide clear following an engine failure.

Hope this helps

spekesoftly
19th Aug 2006, 19:38
And is there any difference for a helicopter flying SVFR?
Yes. The 1800m vis/600' cloud ceiling restriction only applies to fixed wing departures. So ATC may issue a SVFR clearance to a helicopter below such Wx minima.

Also worth mentioning that some ATC units may have their own more restrictive Wx minima for SVFR flights within their defined CTZs.

It can get quite 'interesting' in Class D CTZs, where it's not unusual to have a mix of IFR, SVFR and VFR traffic.

Will not be issued when visibility is less than 1800m .....etc
Sorry to be pedantic, but that should read: Will not be issued when visibility is 1800m or less ......etc

BigBoeing
19th Aug 2006, 19:58
So...

The visibility of 1800m and below only applies to outbound departure clearances, so if the airport has not imposed its own limit, in theory what is the lowest visibility that an a/c could get a SVFR clearance if it was for example, transitting the zone or inbound? There seem to be now figures for this. Thanks for help

steve_atc
19th Aug 2006, 20:03
Sorry to be pedantic, but that should read: Will not be issued when visibility is 1800m or less ......etc
[/quote]

A simple slip of the fingers! i knew what i was saying in my own mind!!

bfisk
19th Aug 2006, 20:07
As far as the US is concerned:

SVFR is a clearance that allows aircraft to operate in controlled airspace, below 10,000 ft, within the lateral boundaries of airspace designated for an airport; ie in and above classes B, C, D and E below VFR weather minima, without having to go IFR.

Requirements during day: 1sm vis, clear of clouds.
Requirements during night: same, except PIC must be instrument rated and the airplane must be equipped with

Ref FAR 91.157

ATCO2
21st Aug 2006, 22:51
Hi,

Some regulations say: PIC of helicopter must ask for SVFR clearance. Helicopter may fly SVFR with 800m of VIS and 500 ft of ceiling and in formation they have to have 1500m of VIS. These are minimums applicable to SVFR. Depends where you fly, check there regulations for SVFR minima, it could be different from state to state.

Best regards,