PDA

View Full Version : What Sick Pleasure Do They Get??

gorgeous spotter
18th Aug 2006, 17:25
Heard on Radio Five Live tonight that a Excel Airways plane was diverted from Egypt to Italy when a message had been written on a sick bag that there was a bomb on the plane. Pilot then announced that they had had a note of the threat and he was diverting to Italy. Radio Five Live were doubtful that Pilot should have told all passengers and crew about the threat but to be honest, he did the correct and only thing he could do and I think that I would rather know, albeit be terrified, and the Pilots then brought the plane down safely. So, begs the question, why do people do this sort of thing? What pleasure do they get? Only a sick person who had obviously just enjoyed a flight would endanger the lives of other people. Its going to be difficult to specify the difference between a real threat and a hoax when you have nutters like this in our world; for the sake of a laugh please you idiots, just get a life. Thank the lord it was not a real threat, but what would this diversion have cost?, not to mention all the inconvenience for everyone. Anyhow, hope that everyone concerned with that particular incident is ok but doesn't it make you wonder about some people?? If I have got this wrong I apologise; only reporting what I've just heard on the radio

Gorgeous

TightSlot
18th Aug 2006, 19:06
Anyone can get a passport - and they do! I've often thought that Passports should be a privilege and not a right, and that they should be withdrawn from offenders in various categories.

That must be the old fascist in me coming up for air - rant over. And now off for a deep night Ibiza, with a planeload of people who will no doubt prove my darkest feelings correct.

Sigh!

gorgeous spotter
18th Aug 2006, 20:23
Anyone can get a passport - and they do! I've often thought that Passports should be a privilege and not a right, and that they should be withdrawn from offenders in various categories.

That must be the old fascist in me coming up for air - rant over. And now off for a deep night Ibiza, with a planeload of people who will no doubt prove my darkest feelings correct.

Sigh!

TightSlot, lucky you!! - thanks for the reply and have fun

Gorgeousx

bealine
18th Aug 2006, 21:58
I just have a feeling someone has written this note, rumoured to have been on a sick bag - it may even hae been a child - on an inbound flight earlier as some sort of sick joke. Being charter passengers returning from a good time in Ibiza, Majorca or the Costas, I really hope they didn't intend to ruin other peoples' holidays maliciously!

If they are caught, (and it shouldn't be too hard to work out who was sitting in the relevant seat on the previous flight or two), I hope the courts insist on a relevant sentence to ensure the lesson is rammed home! (In the case of an adult, jail - if a child, some form of community service.)

Final 3 Greens
19th Aug 2006, 05:53
Bealine

If they are caught, (and it shouldn't be too hard to work out who was sitting in the relevant seat on the previous flight or two), I hope the courts insist on a relevant sentence to ensure the lesson is rammed home!

Sadly, I don't see how a court could convict on a probability, the criminal test is beyond reasonable doubt.

It really is a sick thing to do, costs the airline a lot of money, disrupts the schedule and impacts the pax's enjoyment of their holiday.

gorgeous spotter
19th Aug 2006, 08:29
Bealine

If they are caught, (and it shouldn't be too hard to work out who was sitting in the relevant seat on the previous flight or two), I hope the courts insist on a relevant sentence to ensure the lesson is rammed home!

Sadly, I don't see how a court could convict on a probability, the criminal test is beyond reasonable doubt.

It really is a sick thing to do, costs the airline a lot of money, disrupts the schedule and impacts the pax's enjoyment of their holiday.

Thanks F3G; my sentiments exactly.

Gorgeous

angels
19th Aug 2006, 16:10
Final3 and Gorgeous - Take your points, but I trust the police will check back to see who was sitting in the seat and the seats around it for the last few flights.

The reason is the pax can be asked to submit handwriting tests. Handwriting experts can determine this sort of thing.

It may not work, but surely its worth a try? Convict one of these arseholes and sling him/her in the slammer for a while and I think this sort of nonsense would reduce dramatically.

Final 3 Greens
19th Aug 2006, 16:19
Angels

Interesting, I didn't know that.

What level of conviction rate do they get?

patdavies
20th Aug 2006, 07:50
Final3 and Gorgeous - Take your points, but I trust the police will check back to see who was sitting in the seat and the seats around it for the last few flights.
The reason is the pax can be asked to submit handwriting tests. Handwriting experts can determine this sort of thing.
It may not work, but surely its worth a try? Convict one of these arseholes and sling him/her in the slammer for a while and I think this sort of nonsense would reduce dramatically.

They can be asked, but they cannot be forced.

1) the sick-bag could have been sat in the seat pocket with this writing on it for weeks before someone noticed

2) unless the flight is full pax can, and do, move around between seats

3) the required burden of proof for a criminal conviction is 'beyond reasonable doubt', not 'he was sat there so must have done it'.