PDA

View Full Version : go around p.a. announcement?

mstram
17th Aug 2006, 22:02
On those (presumably rare) occasions when you've had to fly a "go around" / missed approach, do you usually make an announcement to the passengers?

If so, what have you said ? ..... any humourous announcements come to mind?

Mike

(I tried to search for "go+around" but the search engine tells me that "around" is too common a word and was ignored :confused:

Capt Claret
18th Aug 2006, 00:41
Missed approach/go round - yes make a PA.

Humour - No. Enough people will be of the "we climbed vertically and I thought I was gonna die" mind set that humour is no appropriate. Also one assumes the workload will be high enough, depending on a/c type and other traffic, that there won't be time for jokes.

What to say - Basic reason (generalisation only) for go round. No need for concern. Expected landing time.

Getoutofmygalley
18th Aug 2006, 15:08
Within easyJet, the Cabin Crew normally make the following announcement:

Ladies & Gentlemen

For operational reasons the Captain has considered it necessary to climb back up rather than continue the landing on this occasion.

This is a completely normal procedure and is not a cause for concern. The pilots will give us more information as soon as possible. In the meantime please remain seated with your seatbelt fastened.

Thank you.

After a couple of minutes, the pilots will make an announcement once they have finished getting the aircraft back into the hold and finished on the radio with ATC.

Tigger4Me
18th Aug 2006, 15:46
I can't remember the airline but was on a charter flight some years ago from Corfu to Gatwick. On finals into Gatwick and about to cross the motorway we started to climb out. Immediately the PIC came on the PA and said despite being given permission to land by the b*gg*rs in ATC (his words not mine), there was another aircraft on the runway. He continued, "I'll just give you a circular tour of West and East Sussex and we'll try again." No panic from the pax, just a few giggles and my wife's hand tightened a few more notches around my knee. Thank goodness she is no longer a nervous passenger as in the current climate I doubt I would ever get her in the air.

Cornish Jack
18th Aug 2006, 18:33
LGW to Lanzagrotty earlier this year (pax) and did a late GA. Capt came on the cabin address to explain "out of limit crosswind". Lady partner a little agitated but relaxed when the principle was explained. Second approach - no prob. Wondered later if (since it was F/O's leg) there had been a left seat take-over to up the limits??

mstram
18th Aug 2006, 20:11
I'm sure the bean counters absolutely hate hearing about go-arounds :)

But on a nice VFR type day, when given plenty of warning (i.e. a total "non event") it must be a little bit fun for the crew to do a go-round .. isn't it?

Mike

Olof
18th Aug 2006, 20:45
those are the tricky ones...when you least expect it

fireflybob
18th Aug 2006, 22:45
It's a matter of opinion but if the weather is close to limits (crosswind, cloudbase etc) for the approach then it's worth pre-empting a possible GA with a PA before the event takes place.

Suitably worded this makes the pax think you are superhuman if you manage to land and dont have to GA!

Kestrel_909
19th Aug 2006, 18:45
Someone once said to me or I read ''every approach is a set up to a go around, only convert it to a landing at the last minute.''

I remember my first time on the Eurotunnel, the PA before leaving had mentioned about short stops/slowing down in the tunnel that were perfectly normal, had I not be warned I would have been a little edgy about it when it happened.

Even a quick few words to say 'nothing to worry about and shall be landing in a few minutes'' can ease most passengers.

loubylou
24th Aug 2006, 19:36
At Edinburgh a few years ago an aircraft on a visual approach had basically left himself too high and had to go around. Then, when downwind made his PA to the effect that ATC had left them too high on the approach and they were having to go around and try again - but not to worry. Unfortunately the captain had pressed the transmit switch instead of the intercom . The ATCO said " whoops!" and the captain then apologised and said he couldn't very well tell the punters that it was him that had got it wrong!

louby

mstram
24th Aug 2006, 22:09
>an aircraft on a visual approach had basically left himself too high

I saw something very strange a few years ago while watching landings at CYYZ. A passenger jet was on short final ~2 miles out and was obviously VERY high, yet I hadn't heard any unusual transmissions on the ATC freq. At about 1 mile final the plane just descended like a stone and made a reasonably decent landing that I can recall. The only other thing of note that I remember was that it was very windy ~30-40 gusts, how that affected the extreme height I don't know.

I remember another time seeing a go-round by a 747 cargo jet, the plane was almost in the flare ~70-100 feet up, when it noticeably "wobbled" ... (incipient stall ??? / flare too high ?) before pouring on the power and flying away. .. Someone might have had to change their underwear after that one :)

Mike

chiglet
24th Aug 2006, 22:27
Had one GA/Tight Orbit on finals as pax[B737]....zilch from FD. when back in work [Manch Tower], was told a total c*ck up on a visual apc.
Had another as jumpseat in a 146 "Cabin not secure at d/h......GA, no announcement then either.
watp,iktch

Coanda F. Eckt
28th Aug 2006, 13:24
You should absolutely do a PA following a go-around, explaning the basic facts, and you should do it as soon as possible. To some passengers a go-around is VERY scary. A promtp but relaxed anouncement can be very helpful. Would avoid trying to be too funny.

javelin
30th Aug 2006, 20:53
Coming back from the Caribbean a couple of years ago in the back of one of ours, wife and friends either side. Got to about 4 miles and went round.

All eyes on me, as though I knew anything, placated everybody, landed off the next approach.

Turned out it was the first snow at MAN and a wheel had fallen off the snow clearer while doing a run..............:ugh:

I was highly amused when I found out :ok:

Biggles' Apprentice
31st Aug 2006, 11:56
A little rule of thumb...

If it's PIC fault then say nothing much and be curteous and re-assure.

If ATC/traffic issue, then you can afford to be slightly levitous, though one person I know went over the top with 'all that were left were the disabled spaces and we have to wait'.

At all times re-assure. A GA is absolutely routine and should never be sensationalised, however, the announcement is VERY secondary to the safe execution of the GA.

GANNET FAN
31st Aug 2006, 14:19
EZY to Nice, winter and appalling conditions, very low cloud and heavy rain. Having flown into Nice very many times and knowing the layout of the airport, just about on the threshold, watching closely out of the window and saw we were aiming directly into the new terminal, well off course. Go around and a very Greek sounding voice giving the reason there was another aircraft on the runway. I don't think so. Why not just say bad conditions and trying again. I will confess to prefer flying anything rather than EZY

Biggles' Apprentice
31st Aug 2006, 14:41
a very Greek sounding voice giving the reason there was another aircraft on the runway.

He's a bloody cheapskate, isn't he?. You'd think he could afford to hire a proper pilot rather than try do everything himself.

ThinkRate
6th Sep 2006, 13:55
Whatever you do, do not do this: http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?t=111563

TR
-------------------------------------
ThinkRate! ThinkRate! Don't Think!