PDA

View Full Version : Flight Deck Visit

NI-RYAN
17th Aug 2006, 20:19
Flight Deck Visit
Hope this doesnt sound a stupid question, but can you still get these?
I am travelling to europe soon and would love to go up to the flight deck, but with recent security fears, are these stopped? or have they been for a long time?
Thanks

GreatCircle
17th Aug 2006, 20:46
On stand after arrival is your best bet. Ask before departure.

Canada/UK/Europe after 9/11, no visits.

USA - never could before 9/11

I welcome enthusiasts after shutting down; perhaps that 5 mins made their day for whatever reason.

Hope that helps.

Mudfoot
20th Aug 2006, 12:49
USA - never could before 9/11

I dunno - quite a blanket statement, depends on the situation. During an overnight flight from Washington to Europe in late '80s, and due to my professional relationship with an airline, I was invited onto the flight deck (jump seat) of an A310-300 for almost the whole flight, given a full review of flt deck ops, even tried to answer a few questions ("Hey, how come this vector's display is scrambled?"). At the time, I was customer service rep to a then-major player. Crew was very professional, candid and happy to have an interested visitor. I didn't interfere, never touched a thing, and they never for a moment lost touch with flt deck goings-on.

Too bad things have changed, eh? I'm glad you accept requests on-stand, it must be rewarding to see a child (or even adult) with an utter wide-eyed "Wow-WEEEE" expression, you can make their day. :D

Cheers, y'all.

Doors to Automatic
20th Aug 2006, 19:13
Too bad things have changed, eh? I'm glad you accept requests on-stand, it must be rewarding to see a child (or even adult) with an utter wide-eyed "Wow-WEEEE" expression, you can make their day. :D
Cheers, y'all.

Or change their entire life as my jumpseat ride into LHR did 20 years ago today! (See my thread in the "Where are they now?" forum).

Yes it is too bad things have changed!