PDA

View Full Version : Bye Bye

radarman
17th Aug 2006, 17:32
Another strange bit of aviation language, like the 'Sir' thread. Out in the normal world, grown men (and women) take leave of each other by saying 'Goobye', 'Cheers' or 'Bye'. Why is it, then, that when we put headsets on, we all say 'Bye bye' as if we were two-year old toddlers?

GreatCircle
17th Aug 2006, 17:38
R/T discipline in the New World...well, a shocker.

"bye bye" becomes "so long", "see ya", "have a great day"....:rolleyes:

ILS 119.5
17th Aug 2006, 17:39
Its because we need TLC and wrapping in cotton wool just lika a two year old does before they go to bed. ;)

Whirlygig
17th Aug 2006, 17:47
I don't tend to call anyone "Sir" but I do say "Bye bye"! However, it is more of a "Bu-bye" rather than putting equal emphasis on both words.

"Goodbye" seems a little formal and "Cheers" (although a favourite of mine) is perhaps a little to casual, "Seeya", I'm sure, would make anyone cringe so "bye-bye" it is!

Cheers

Whirls

HEATHROW DIRECTOR
17th Aug 2006, 17:52
When I was operational it was usually "Good-day"..... but doesn't anyone remember "Chugalug" ??

despegue
17th Aug 2006, 18:01
Chugalug....

Wasn't that used by Dan-Air to get directs from Maastricht? I believe they had an agreement involving crates of beer:E ??

RAC/OPS
17th Aug 2006, 19:17
Quite disconcerting the way the Irish say 'Good luck'! They know something I don't??

Wonkavater
17th Aug 2006, 19:46
There's nowt wrong with saying 'bye bye' as long as its Bob Holness type 'b-bye for now' rather than a Matthew Corbett 'bye bye kiddies, bye bye'. :E :E :E

NorthSouth
17th Aug 2006, 20:21
"BYE bye?" C'mon guys this is a serious waste of bandwidth. Surely "bye" is the preferred mode unless you're in Sleepy Hollow. Same goes for the dreaded new six digit frequencies. Having to add that extra 0 or 5 when you're calling vacated and acknowledging frequency change to ground with the next guy behind you at 300ft waiting for a landing clearance seems like a gross waste of airtime.

Maybe all ground freqs should be tenths of MHz only?

NS

Whirlygig
17th Aug 2006, 22:40
"BYE bye?" C'mon guys this is a serious waste of bandwidth. NS
If you think THIS is a serious waste of bandwidth, try a trip to Jet Blast!

I like the comment about the Irish saying "Good Luck!" - I'm of Northern Irish parentage mesel' so I'll try that next time from N'arch

Cheers

Whirls

QFIhawkman
17th Aug 2006, 22:53
I've always said "Ba-bye!" to be honest.

However seeing as how civilian controllers treat military pilots on this forum, I may well say "Ta-ra f**k knuckle" in future.

Lets see how THAT goes down shall we?

QFI

Gonzo
17th Aug 2006, 23:12
QFI, you seem to have a real chip on your shoulder about civil ATC, and the evidence is on more than one thread...care to explain?

Whirlygig
17th Aug 2006, 23:19
Nah Gonzo, QFIHawkman is a well balanced chap; a chip on both shoulders!

Cheers

Whirls

Sorry but someone was gonna say it; might as well be me!

Gonzo
17th Aug 2006, 23:26
Never be afraid to say what everyone else is thinking! :E

So come on QFI, let's hear it!

PPRuNe Radar
18th Aug 2006, 11:44
On the basis of QFIs post, a new procedure is required :ok:

Mil Controller: 'Request Cleared Flight Path (or Radar Corridor) for VYT XX please.'

Civvy controller: 'Negative, remain clear of my 10 tracks, we will be operating surface to FL450. Tell the pilot he's a f**k knuckle. All other mil aircraft callsigns, co-ordinated.'

:ok: :p

Beetlejuice
18th Aug 2006, 13:11
However seeing as how civilian controllers treat military pilots on this forum, I may well say "Ta-ra f**k knuckle" in future.

QFI
Although I had a minor formation of 9 of them on frequency the other day, I don't usually get to talk to many Hawks. However, I would like to give my total support for QFI Hawkman. As a polite and civil Civil Controller, I would say that "Ta-Ra f**k knuckle" should certainly go down in the annals of Aviation Folk Lore, and maybe even into the MATS Pt 1 Appendix E!

Nice one QFI! I'm sure you must impress your students immensely.

:*

ronnie3585
18th Aug 2006, 13:42
Quite disconcerting the way the Irish say 'Good luck'! They know something I don't??

Coming back from the UK last week on hand off i said good luck to the controler, to which he replied in a very genuine tone - "with what?".

Classic brits!

H Ferguson
18th Aug 2006, 13:53
Quite disconcerting the way the Irish say 'Good luck'! They know something I don't??;)

hmmm, you'll just have to keep on wondering:) ;)

i always say bye bye when i'm changing from one controller to the next one.

if the controller says , EI-#$% contact 123.45.

i'll say .contact 123.45 #$% bye bye.

instead of , contact 123.45, switching frequency EI-#$% good day.

it's less formal and takes less time and let's him know i'm gone from his frequency.

:ok:

rolaaand
18th Aug 2006, 14:04
I've always said "Ba-bye!" to be honest.

Lets see how THAT goes down shall we?

QFI

Looking to get a rise out of people QFI? I think you'll find that civvy ATC bends over backwards to help mil. pilots,even if we do give you grief on an internet forum for not listening out on frequency,dropping at 7000fpm to 1000 above coordinated civvy traffic setting off a TCAS alert,flying RIGHT up to the edge of the TMA leaving me twitching as to whether you'll turn away from my traffic or not,or whatever else has got me wound up this week. We work closely and effectively at ScOACC with our RAF colleagues to get you transits accross extremely busy aispace often at the cost of expedition of civilian traffic.Think about that the next time you route from Valley almost direct to Leuchars in your non RVSM aircraft at FL340.
Ta-ra f**k knuckle is good though! It would make me laugh anyway.

The Jolly Roger
18th Aug 2006, 14:05
I must say I was quite impressed with some British Pilot the other day saying "Slan" on freq....For those of you not Irish, this means goodbye "as gaeilge" (in Irish)....

Think I'm gonna start diversifying and start saying "Adios" and "Salut" and "Cheerio old chap" (oh thats english!!!)

JR

jtor
18th Aug 2006, 15:39
But it's always nice to hear when a pilot or a controller speaks in languages... For a Finnish pilot it's always great to hear when some controller tries to say: "Terve", "Moi" or sth like that in our language, that's why I try to say the greetings to controller in his/her language - if I remember the right way to do it :)

Seommoro... :E

side-saddled
18th Aug 2006, 18:18
What is a f**k knuckle anyway?

I've searched several adult websites and found no mention of one.
Is it some sort of top secret weapon military pilots use on each other in the shower?

QFIhawkman
18th Aug 2006, 22:18
Hi gentlemen,

It would appear that I owe you all an apology! Having checked my postings on this forum, there are at least two which I haven't posted myself.

I think that some wag has been at my computer while I was at the tea bar. That'll teach me to leave my profile open eh?

Apologies if my absent mindedness, and someone elses "sense of humour" has caused any genuine offence.

(And for the record, I'm not entirely sure what a f*ck knuckle is, aside from being a matey term for a person who is not well loved).
It does have a ring to it though!

Regards.
QFIhawkman. (The **** knuckle).

RNGrommits
18th Aug 2006, 22:34
I always say G'day at the last transmission. No I'm not from Oz. Sue me. It just makes the world a nicer place and its only one word.

SATCO
18th Aug 2006, 22:46
I'll go with Heathrow Director on this one (not so much the chugalug though!) It was then, is now and always shall be, "g'day", s'far as I'm concerned.

Having said that, it's all wrong anyhow, 'cos there aint nowhere I ever saw nor know of now where it's standard R/T, so EVERYONE can knock it off! :=

There's another thread alive about excessive R/T loading (vis-a-vis reading back six digits for frequencies etc). Aren't we all missing the point here?

SATCO
18th Aug 2006, 22:48
Apols RNGrommits... didn't mean to miss you from the "g'day" scenario - we were clearly doing a parallel posting!

RNGrommits
18th Aug 2006, 23:05
Apols RNGrommits... didn't mean to miss you from the "g'day" scenario - we were clearly doing a parallel posting!
No-worries. If you were talking face to face you would always be polite, No reason not to be on the RT. Similarly, if you were listening to a frequency and the controller sounded like they were working there arse off, short & sweet as a pilot works just as well. If a pilot is a baby pilot (GAT obviously, cabair, 1st navex etc) and the needs a bit more help, we will always give that bit more consideration too. Standard RT works, but there is always a bit of flex. If the controller is too hung up on standard RT then they are going to have a high BP and an early cardiac. Disrection, and your professionalism as an ATCO sorts the boys from the men(no gender discrimination meant) and is something that a seasoned controller should pride himself on.
Not meaning to teach you to suck eggs.

Scott Voigt
21st Aug 2006, 00:32
Gee I thought that it was bu bye that we were saying from the old Saturday Night Live TV show... The skit from TBA and the flight attendent <G>...

regards

Scott

Standard Noise
21st Aug 2006, 05:05
Mostly I say 'bu-bye' and sometimes 'good luck'. But if it unsettles the English, I think I'll say 'good luck' just that little bit more often....:}
'Tara f**knuckle', mmm what an interesting addition to section E that'd be!

RMGrommits-"If a controller is too hung up on standard RT then they are going to have high BP and an early cardiac." Phew, that's me saved from the scrapper then.

tobzalp
21st Aug 2006, 05:20
I never call a pilot Sir and never carry on with the bye-bye/g'day rubbish.:D :ok:

Standard Noise
21st Aug 2006, 05:34
I never call a pilot Sir and never carry on with the bye-bye/g'day rubbish.:D :ok:

Aah, the George Michael approach!

Odi
21st Aug 2006, 06:35
Up here at the Ice Station we get the Norwegian pilots (and some locals) who say "So long".

This gets shortened to "S'long" which then, inevitably, gets shortened even further to "Slong"!!

2Bsure2Bsure
23rd Aug 2006, 13:43
The one time I said "bye" instead of "bye-bye", I was giving a frequency change and the pilot took it as being 5, (i.e 118.75 instead of 118.7), which is why I think most controllers say "bye-bye".
But I guess now with this 6 digit stuff it would be 118.750 so should I revert to a single bye? Or do I really care?