PDA

View Full Version : Greatdane Helicopters

Lightning_Boy
16th Aug 2006, 15:24
Has anyone got any info on greatdane helicopters? Looking to do my CPL LST in a Schweizer and wasn't sure if they did CPL or just PPL. Tried email and phone but no response.
Any info would be appreciated.

Many thanks

LB :ok:

Flying Lawyer
16th Aug 2006, 16:37
I was told recently that GD no longer have a Schweizer.

As far as I'm aware, they do/did PPL training only.

Again as far as I'm aware, there isn't currently a Schweizer available for training in Wales.

Given your location, a good starting-point would be to speak to Ray Jones who lives in Abergavenny but instructs/examines out of Gloucester. I don't know if he does CPL training but, if he doesn't, he'll know the nearest place for you.
If you'd like his contact numbers, PM me.

Hughes500
16th Aug 2006, 18:36
Sadly Colin Larner who ran Great Dane died recently, hence no reply. If you want to come down to devon I will sort you out.

Bomber ARIS
16th Aug 2006, 21:50
I am deeply saddened to hear this. Colin was a good friend.

belly tank
17th Aug 2006, 00:45
How do the schweizers compare to the 22 as a trainer, im aware that the have a longer tbo on components but interested to hear some thoughts

Hughes500
17th Aug 2006, 06:20
Best summed up with the following
R22 designed as a 1+1 personal heli
S300 desighned to teach people to fly ( the military )

One of the schools where I worked the average 1st solo on R22 was about 20 hours on a 300 about 15 which just about sums it up.
As an instructor the 300 is much more forgiving and much easier to fly.

Lightning_Boy
17th Aug 2006, 11:26
So sorry to hear about Colin. I never got to meet him, but was told by a friend that he was a great guy and instructor. :(

Thanks FL and Hughes please check your PM's

LB

vincecox50
3rd Oct 2015, 16:43
I first met Colin back in 1999, when i went tio enquire about ppl h.
I flew many times with him and a friend Stefan Weiss.

Colin let me initially fly for free so that I could get a feel for what I wanted to do.
He was such a nice guy, nothing too much trouble.

I left Dragon Helicopters some 14yrs ago, and only today have I found out about the sad death of Colin.

RIP Colin my old friend, thanks for your help advice and support. Never forgotten.

I'm sorry and appologise if this thread is ill timed and upsetting for anyone.

Vince