PDA

View Full Version : Rejected Takeoff

pondy
15th Aug 2006, 07:20
While on the take off roll by day at speed around 100 kt with V1 as 143 kt, a large bird was seen crossing the aircraft's path. Immediately thereafter, a thud was heard followed by loud rumbling sound from the No.2 engine. The captain rejected the takeoff safely. Post flight inspection showed damamge to one blade which had to be changed. Was it right for the captain to have rejected the takeoff without checking the engine parameters?

Polarhero
15th Aug 2006, 07:31
Let me have a think about it ................ :hmm:

Yes!!!!!!!

:ugh:

pondy
15th Aug 2006, 07:35
Ya I feel the same but the air safety guys feel other wise. They feel unless the engine showed any signs of damage, no cognizance must be taken of the rumbling sound

Polarhero
15th Aug 2006, 07:50
In an ideal world we would only use the cockpit indications to make a decision.

So lets look at the other indications, large bird seen, a thud and then a rumbling. I think it would be a reasonable assumption that you had got the bird.

But if you are below V1 and your not happy then why not abort if you suspect that you have problem, better than getting away and having to come back one engine down.

:ok:

Intruder
15th Aug 2006, 10:47
YGBSM!!!

"The air safety guys" are yet again second-guessing the Captain's decision -- a decision very specifically left to him alone by regulators and the company policies. He makes that split-second decision, avoids further damage or injury, yet is still questioned on the decision.

Thta's why I have essentially NO FAITH AT ALL in corporate "air safety guys" -- they are puppets for bean counting mismanagers!

BOAC
15th Aug 2006, 12:51
Pondy - why not get the "air safety guys" to issue an instruction to all crew that "in the event of a suspected (large) bird strike before V1 with audible engine vibration but no instrument indications, the take-off is to be continued?"

That should sort the men from the boys and interest your insurers too:)

Capt Claret
16th Aug 2006, 07:14
A large hawk flew into No4 on a BAe146 I was PF & PIC of a few years ago. It was the loudest bang I've heard in an aeroplane. The takeoff was rejected from about 80ish kts.

F/O Bloggs (not to be confused with Dunnunda's F/O Bloggs) said during the taxi back, "I checked the engine perameters and there was nothing abnormal. I would have continued."

On inspection one fan blade was bent through 90 degrees, blood & guts everywhere.

Our flight was to have been about 3.5 hours over the GAFA (Great Australian F&$% All) with very few close range alternate strips available.

IMHO, the human brain is not all that good at hearing a bang, scanning a swathe of instruments and making a determination that its go or no go, in the time available in your scenario. And, there's no time for a committee meeting to decide on the next course of action. There is no shame in rejecting a take-off

Big bang, I'm < V1 & can stop, stop.

Lear35A_Jockey
17th Aug 2006, 20:05
Here in the USA it is standard practice with most company SOP's to ALWAYS abort t/o for ANY "significant abnormality" under V1, especially given the circumstances of your scenario. In the time that it takes to evaluate engine instrumentation changes you could be much closer to your V1 speed resulting in a rejected t/o at a much higher speed. With adequate runway remaining, this would not be a problem. However, with a shorter accelerate/stop distance available, you could impose a very significant strain on the passengers (which of course is a high priority with most company SOP's). As I see it...your Captain made the right decision, he was thinking of the passengers, and did not break any regulatory guidlines in not waiting around for changes in the engine instrumentation.

INLAK
21st Aug 2006, 16:00
Here in the USA it is standard practice with most company SOP's to ALWAYS abort t/o for ANY "significant abnormality" under V1,

What about a tyre failure?

Max Angle
21st Aug 2006, 16:22
why not get the "air safety guys" to issue an instruction to all crew that "in the event of a suspected (large) bird strike before V1 with audible engine vibration but no instrument indications, the take-off is to be continued?"Yup, that would be a good one, I guarantee the silence will be deafening.