PDA

View Full Version : Passenger Announcement Etiquette

speedrestriction
14th Aug 2006, 21:53
Are there any particular rules for the routine passenger announcements?

Any particular dos or don'ts?

Should humour be avoided on early flights?

Should jokes be the preserve of the LHS?

You get the idea. Interested in hearing all opinions.

SR

IFixPlanes
15th Aug 2006, 16:00
Any particular dos or don'ts?
Search for Monty Python's "Bored Airline Pilots"

Capt Claret
16th Aug 2006, 07:05
From my Ops Manual; Pilots must be aware of the possible misinterpretation of the content of passenger PAs. Care must be taken to avoid gender, religious, racial, and political comments, even in a jocular vein.

If memory serves there used to be a reference to the "politically correct brigade" in years gone by.

CamelhAir
16th Aug 2006, 07:29
Should jokes be the preserve of the LHS?

Considering most pax haven't the faintest idea which pilot it is talking to them, even if they could tell what the difference is between ranks, jokes are not the sole preserve of the captain. In fact, jokes should only be the preserve of those can genuinely carry it off. And only then if the situation warrents it.

Aussie
16th Aug 2006, 11:52
Anyone care to comment... Is it always the Capt that makes the PA call?

Why cant the FOs do it?

Aussie

Keygrip
16th Aug 2006, 12:42
FO's do do announcements - I think what speedrestriction was asking (with regard to the humour being left seat only) is that there will be a fair number of FO's who respect their position in the food chain, and may not want to attempt to lower the perceived professionalism of the flight deck without an approval from the Commander.

I'm not suggesting that they SHOULD - I'm suggesting that their will be those whose personal attitude to the position they hold may place their own limitations upon themselves.

aw8565
17th Aug 2006, 00:05
I once heard a story, possibly an urban (aviation?) myth, that a pilot said ... "and we're currently passing overhead Liverpool, so hold on to your wallets..."

In the version I heard the pilot got into trouble with the Management, although I heard it again and was told there were 30 odd (stone cold sober I'm sure) Liverpudlian football fans on board.... eek.

A locked and reinforced flight deck door suddenly becomes your best mate in the world!

Bealzebub
17th Aug 2006, 08:46
This subject seems to come up frequently.

Passenger addresses seem to elicit a lot of myth and folklore stories.

The truth of the matter is that they are part of the professional communication from the flight deck to the cabin. There is no question that a bit of humour does have its place in certain situations and usually when it happens it is spontaneous rather than planned. However for the most part the announcements are done in a manner that conveys the same professional attitude the speaker has to his or her other tasks, and for the most part that it what the customers want to hear.

Humour is a very subjective thing, and what one recipient may find amusing another may definetaly not. A passenger who has been subject to any number of the stresses induced my modern air travel, may well be less than entertained when the Pilot decides to portray himself as a comedian or clown, and it is not something that is often encountered.

As with many things, it is a question of common sense and awareness. People visiting a comedy club expect to be entertained. Passengers on an airplane expect a high degree of professionalism and since their only contact with the flight deck crew is over the PA, this needs to be handled carefully.

There are many do's and don'ts, but these vary from individual to individual and from situation to situation bearing in mind the overall requirements.

CamelhAir
17th Aug 2006, 19:05
I once heard a story, possibly an urban (aviation?) myth, that a pilot said ... "and we're currently passing overhead Liverpool, so hold on to your wallets..."

True story, happened on Easyjet. However, the company commended him, after the press, and the usual assorted outraged citizens, got hold of it and acted suitably outraged.

jockeypants
17th Aug 2006, 19:22
.. how 'bout leaving the briefing to the "pilot flying" (PF)?

We're a few in my present company excercising this concept, seems to work.

With regards to cracking jokes on the "PA" I'm not personally seeing it as my job to entertain the pax in this way, I'm guessing my bad landings should cover that item of the flight ;-).

The way I see that pax see 'us' is; we're hired to fly paying pax from 'A' - 'B' history shows that's their only expectation.. My point is; keep up our 'pro' apperance and fullfill their expectations..

Still I do enjoy this one (suppose to be true and presented few weeks after the US discussion on whether or not to carry arms on the flightdeck):

"Ladies and Gentlemen, this is your captain speaking. I'd like to welcome you on board this _ _ _ _ flight from Las Vegas - LAX, we expect sunshine along the route and a strong tailwind why we're expecting to arrive 30min B4 schedule. I'd also like to inform you that my F/O today is carrying a 44' Magnum with a soft grip capable of 'putting' a hole in you the size of the Grand Canyon, which if you look out to your right we're passing right now!"

Enjoy..

Airjockey..

gashcan
25th Aug 2006, 21:59
I have a few pet hates on the PA, but the one I hate the most vehemently is

"......so, sit back, relax and enjoy the flight"

Aaaaaaaarrrggghh!

hetfield
26th Aug 2006, 16:22
"......and remember it's always XYZ-Airlines who loves you and your money."
:)

AlternativeProcedure
26th Aug 2006, 17:37
Hi Folks,

On the issue of passenger announcements, can u give examples of what you say in your PA’s? I'm still new in this business and I want to sound as professional and as eloquent as possible. So full text examples would be much appreciated. You can PM me if you wish. Thanx!!

AP

Capt Claret
27th Aug 2006, 00:57
AlternativeProcedure

"Good afternoon ladies and gentlemen, First Officer Claret speaking. On behalf of Captain Bloggs it is my pleasure to add our welcome to that of Joe/Joanne your cabin services manager and his/her crew, aboard Alternative flight 1234 to Rome. We're climbing through 15 thousand feet on our way to 33 thousand feet, which is 10 kilometers above sea level. Expecting mostly smooth conditions enroute, the seat belt sign has been extinguished and you are free to move about the cabin. However, it is a company requirement that whilst seated (pause), you keep your seatbelt fastened (pause), incase we encounter any unforecast turbulence.

Our route today takes us across the English channel, overhead Paris, Venice then on descent into Rome. We expect to have you disembarking at 1230 Rome time to a pleasant autumn day, a light southerly breeze, some scatered cloud and a pleasant 18 degrees. There is a one hour (don't know what it is really) time difference, the time in Rome is now 11:15.

I'll come back to you just prior to our descent into Rome with an update of the weather and arrival time, for now, please sit back, relax, and enjoy the inflight service."

AlternativeProcedure
27th Aug 2006, 19:15
Nice one Capt Claret, very professional.

Lucifer
28th Aug 2006, 01:36
Engage brain - the professional voice for the airline should be nothing other than professional. If culture requires a modicum of tasteful humour that remains professional, then great, if you know whether or not you are tasteful...if you don't know then leave it!

Do you want the business class to continue spending or not...?

cwatters
28th Aug 2006, 08:09
Can I appeal for more info when there are long delays on the ground? The worse thing about waiting is the boredom. Oh and just so we know who to blame.

Strepsils
29th Aug 2006, 10:16
cwatters - When there are delays there are always passengers screaming that "we weren't told anything, there was almost no information"

The honest truth is that more often than not, we don't know either!

If you're told the aircraft is late in, and should be here in an hour, that's all we've been told.

We know how frustrating it can be when you're delayed, and it makes our life a lot easier to keep the passengers happy, but we can only tell you what we know. Sometimes we're told that " ..xyz might happen" but we're loath to pass this information on in case it doesn't, which only results in hordes of passengers screaming "..but you said!"

Trust me, delays are just as frustrating for crew as they are for passengers, but sometimes we just have to grin and bear it:}

PAXboy
2nd Sep 2006, 12:13
I certainly agree with gashcan that "... so, sit back, relax and enjoy the flight" is pointless.

This question crops up regularly in one forum or another and the SEARCH facility should provide many more threads from history.

When these threads come up, I always make the same point: Audibility. When you are speaking to ATC, they are listening through high quality headphones in a room that is (hopefully) fairly quiet.

We are sitting in a room that has air noise from outside, probably some engines as well. On the inside people are chatting, air-con is blowing and a meal service might be in progress. Headphones that are in service are listening to privcate music OR you just interrupted the film soundtrack!!

So .. speak clearly and slightly louder than you might otherwise have done. Often times, I have heard a voice whispering away in the speaker above my head (or offset by one row if the original specifier of the a/c did not put speakers above every row!) and I hear nothing of what is said.

Of course, if you are in a turbo-prop then Shout! So, on behalf of the crew, I hope that you have a nice and relaxing read of this thread and that we will see you on PPRuNe Forums again very soon. If there is anything that you require, then just press the button marked Moderator.

A Very Civil Pilot
2nd Sep 2006, 14:57
some of the terms I've learned not to use:

'Fog' when 'early morning mist' is better.
'Thunderstorms'..........'heavy rain'
'Terminal' ..................'stand'
'Final destination'.........name of airport.

Generally altitude, speed, eta, routing, wx at destination & any significant landmarks out of the window suffices.

PAXboy
2nd Sep 2006, 22:01
I would echo AVCP in that, 'turbulence' is usually interpreted as 'being thrown all over the sky'! Before departure: "We might feel some small bumps as we go up through this cloud - but it's all clear above." and this can be reversed prior to let down. If it is likely to be medium turbulence then, "We will go through some bumpy clound on our way to the clear air above them" and so forth.

If you encounter the choppiness when crossing form one jet stream to another: "... sorry that I have had to put the seat belt sign on for this bumpiness but we are just going through a place were two streams of wind cross and we should be out the other side before long."

Elixir
7th Sep 2006, 21:23
I have to admit I usually end my PA with "...sit back, relax and enjoy the flight with us this evening". It usually seems like an good ending to the spiel, now I can't think what else to say to round it off!

In my company its always the Captain that does the welcome PA and the PF does the inflight PA's. The pax always like to hear the Captain's voice but it seems more sensible for the PF to say where we are, where we are routing, and then to thank them at the end. And its good practice for when moving across to the LHS!

A37575
9th Sep 2006, 12:50
please sit back, relax, and enjoy the inflight service

As a serial grumply old man I just hate to be told to sit back and relax and as far as enjoying the service - forget it with LLC where you are lucky to get a dried sandwhich. Also hate an Aussie LLC that has poncy types gushing "Ladies and gentlemen - BOYS and GIRLS before practically very bloody PA. Same airline scares the pax by announcing while taxiing that the aircraft is going to another destination other than to the one on your ticket. It is supposed to be hilarious.. Or how about this from the gender bending clown in the purser's suit "You will find a life jacket under your seat on which there is a whistle to attract passing sailors...

JetSetJ
9th Sep 2006, 16:51
Just on the topic what's your opinion of having a pilot with a local accent, for example Scouse or Southern or even Northern, doing the pa's??

Is it considered good or bad, whenever i board an aircraft i always think it's nice to have a pilot with the local accent - i suppose i feel as though i can relate to him/her more!

JetSetJ:ok:

low n' slow
10th Sep 2006, 11:58
After having flown as PAX in my beloved S340, I came to two conclusions:
1)
There is absolutely no need to do a PA because of the unbelievably loud noiselevel in the cabin. The PA will just add to the discomfort. There is no point in trying to shout either as this will produce a sharp noise in the speakers that will wake anyone that has had the good fortune of being able to sleep between the wrath of two CT7's.
2)
If one does engage in a monologue with the PAX, do not ask them to enjoy the flight. They are most likely booked on a connecting flight which they are about to miss as we are being held of in the middle of rush-hour. For some reason, our airline only carries stressed out, angry passangers. Also, when there's only one operator flying from an airport, do not pull the classic "thankyou for choosing xyz-air"...

/LnS

fkelly
14th Sep 2006, 01:03
"And finally ladies and gentlemen, I'd strongly recommend you pay attention to the safety brief because we have our own exits up front"

clicker
14th Sep 2006, 22:55
Remember when I was with AE of a skipper that didnt refer to the towns we were passing but the vineyards.

And before anybody suggests it, I believe he just liked the odd drop of wine with his meals.

theresalwaysone
17th Sep 2006, 13:27
I certainly agree with gashcan that "... so, sit back, relax and enjoy the flight" is pointless.

HAVE you tried saying "Sit forward and have a **** flight"