PDA

View Full Version : A340 Engine Failure into Mumbai

Analyser
13th Aug 2006, 18:38
A Jet airways A340 requested for a priority landing in Mumbai today due to engine failure.Flight originated in LHR.It had lost the number one engine. Normal landing and taxi to the bay. The type of malfunction is still unclear. This is the second failure for the Jet airways A340 fleet, the first being an engine failure two hours after takeoff from LHR less than a month back. In that instance the crew dumped fuel and returned to LHR for landing.

There has also been a case of dual engine stall or surge on one of their
A330's operating from Delhi to LHR a fortnight back.ECAM called for shutting down both engines but they came online within a minute or so.Details area bit sketchy but they were climbing thru FL340 with anti-ice selected on.
Jet has the rolls royce engines on their A330 and this sounds similar to the Qatar incident on June 1 into Shangai.

jettison valve
13th Aug 2006, 21:39
> In that instance the crew dumped fuel...
... giving outstanding honour to my nickname... :D
But seriously: Very bad luck for JAI at the moment, IŽd say. The A340s should have only about 6000FHs / 700FC (?) by now, and this is already the third engine change (one was - :ugh: - "planned").
> (A330) ECAM called for shutting down both engines...
Seriously...?! I would expect "ignition to continous" or something that makes more sense...!
Namaste,
J. V.

NWT
14th Aug 2006, 07:13
RR engines stalling is a known problem, especially on new or recently overhauled engines. (to do with reduced tip clearance I believe) RR has issued various bulletins about this. Why the Jet one had both stall together is more than likely just bad luck, or may have been to do with icing. Both engines recovered straightaway. Probably took longer to complete the god awfull Jet Airways paperwork than change the engine....(why do some airlines have such poor/confusing/old fashioned paperwork...?)

picu
14th Aug 2006, 09:07
If I recall correctly, the Qatar 330 which had a dual flameout at Shanghai had GE engines.
Would be interested to learn more about the Jet Airways RR powered 330 though, as I fly the same type. Any more info on this anywhere?
Cheers

Torquelink
15th Aug 2006, 12:36
Jet's 330-200s also have GE engines - not Rollers. Their A340s are -300s on lease from SAA and are CFM powered.

satyanu28
17th Aug 2006, 05:04
Hi Torquelink,

checked with Jet Airways tech. They got Rolls on the 330-200s