View Full Version : 'Outside my limits'

frostbite
9th Aug 2006, 14:33
I heard what seemed like a strange one a few days ago.

Aircraft (type unknown) approaching Southend, advised 'Clear to land 06, surface wind 080 degrees, 08 knots'. Visibility was good.

Response was 'That's outside my limits, returning to Biggin'.

What on earth couldn't handle those conditions?

oliversarmy
9th Aug 2006, 15:06
Me !!! :eek:

Lol

lobby
12th Aug 2006, 12:46
Almost certainly outside the crosswind limits for a hot air balloon:)

Saab Dastard
12th Aug 2006, 12:51
Maybe they were referring to the landing fee?

SD

SkyHawk-N
12th Aug 2006, 13:05
Maybe they were referring to Southend :E

Final 3 Greens
12th Aug 2006, 13:15
What on earth couldn't handle those conditions?

Someof the older stuff from Old Warden, but unlikely it would be flying from Biggin.

Daysleeper
13th Aug 2006, 08:18
Just a thought could it have been a larger jet positioning in for maint? Southend aint exactly huge and they could have required a minimum headwind component to make their performance calcs work?

Bumz_Rush
13th Aug 2006, 08:34
Still no idea, but please can some one in ATC, put us out of our misery.
Bumz

sir.pratt
13th Aug 2006, 08:49
a balloon was my first though, unless it was a ppl student on their first solo cross country and got the x-wind component mixed up, thought it was a downwind x-wind landing, and took the safe (to them) option

rightbank
13th Aug 2006, 11:08
I suspect that this was to do with landing distance. From memory I think that the landing distance available (LDA) for Southends runway 06 is around 100 metres or so shorter than 24. For some biz jets that will give a problem for public transport operations and they will need a fair headwind to get in legally. This problem is compounded by some aircraft now having a different landing distance requirement (LDR) depending on the glideslope angle with angles of 3.4 degrees or less requiring more runway than 3.5 degrees or more. 06 PAPIs are only set at 3.0deg whereas 24 ILS is 3.5 deg. Hope this helps.

Although not relevant to Southend, aircraft that are certified for steep approaches e.g. London City, which is 5.5 degrees, have yet another set of landing tables in which the LDR is shorter still.