PDA

View Full Version : Becoming an instructor

AWYRCYMRY
7th Aug 2006, 10:56
Hi guys & galls, at the moment i am only 25 HOURS into my PPL and once i finished that i want to become a flying instructor, what EXTRA training do i need to do to become one.... as soon as i get enough hours i want to join a little airline (aer arran). as a reminder i am only 15. 16 in 13 days YAHOOO.

PPL152
8th Aug 2006, 22:17
Hey Kid

Basically a Flying Instructor must get a Flight Instructor's rating (FI), and this is possible after achieving the Commercial Pilot's Licence (CPL).

That's the minimum to start off with, so... PPL, CPL, then FI.

Good luck.

AWYRCYMRY
18th Aug 2006, 00:15
Hey Kid

Basically a Flying Instructor must get a Flight Instructor's rating (FI), and this is possible after achieving the Commercial Pilot's Licence (CPL).

Good luck.

When can i start (im 16 on sat)

Oktas8
18th Aug 2006, 10:07
Start now.

But you have to be 18 to get a CPL issued.

PAPI-74
18th Aug 2006, 20:48
If you are intending to go into the airlines, get your ATPL exams done, not CPL. Do the IR and MCC, then you are ready to apply. FIC next and instruct while getting hours.

Always allow more cash than the FTO quotes.

You will need to get a life skills to cope with the students, and never give up

mcgoo
18th Aug 2006, 21:35
Hey Kid
Good luck.

you can be a flight instructor with just a ppl but you won't be able to earn money from it unless you have a cpl but with your age it might be worth doing first and building hours instructing until you are 18 and can get a cpl, it would save you some time

DC-8
18th Aug 2006, 21:46
you can be a flight instructor with just a ppl but you won't be able to earn money from it unless you have a cpl but with your age it might be worth doing first and building hours instructing until you are 18 and can get a cpl, it would save you some time

You must pass all the CPL theory exams to get a FI rating if you only have a PPL, but you don't have need to pass the CPL flying test.

mcgoo
18th Aug 2006, 22:25
yes and therefore you do not need to be 18

BEagle
18th Aug 2006, 22:42
And jusy who, pray, is going to employ some 17 year old kid as a FI?

DC-8
18th Aug 2006, 22:51
And jusy who, pray, is going to employ some 17 year old kid as a FI?

You can give training with your own plane or in an Aeroclub. Do you think age makes a pilot better than another?

BEagle
18th Aug 2006, 23:21
Not necessarily - but experience certainly does.

CaptAirProx
19th Aug 2006, 11:48
BEagle,

Surely with the right 'Top Cover' from the CFI a 17yr old rookie could be guided into a very fine FI in the future. He may be lacking in life skills which would mean making sure he started off with far less demanding characters, but I bet he could have a good pair of hands on him.

This industry needs some life put back into it.

Kaptain Kremen
19th Aug 2006, 12:02
A good CfI may be able to help guide a 17 yr old, but as Beagle says, I'm not sure they would employ him. i think some, (though not all), of the schools customers may not feel comfortable with his age. Not fair, but I think it's just the way it is.

CaptAirProx
19th Aug 2006, 12:23
KK,

I understand where you're coming from. If this bloke knocked on my door and he came across as a mature lad then the age thing is irrelevent to the customer. I may not employ him full time but I would allow him to do trial lessons and give him students that had no issue with it all.

If the bloke wants to get his FI rating - let him I say. If he can afford it a that age then he can afford to live on very little too! If he is serious about being an instructor for a career - lets get him hooked now as this industry is crying out for career instructors.

We all had to start somewhere. And admittedly he can't be let loose on everyone - he could well be an asset given time and patience.

I just think if the fella comes across as older - he can pull it off.

Kaptain Kremen
19th Aug 2006, 12:36
Sounds fair. The customers aren't quite irrelevant though, but I suppose they will hopefully be won over by his ability and maturity once they have met him.
God luck!
KK

raviolis
19th Aug 2006, 13:26
If you are intending to go into the airlines, get your ATPL exams done, not CPL. Do the IR and MCC, then you are ready to apply. FIC next and instruct while getting hours.

hi
I, too, am interested in becoming a flight instructor. Although I am only 35 hours into my PPL, I am not actually too bothered about airline jobs. Not for now anyway.

Correct me if I am wrong. Is this the correct path to gain a FI qualification ?
PPL + 150 hours
CPL
FI rating

I wouldn't touch the IR (too expensive) but would consider an IMC rating to be a bit more flexible with clouds and "elements".

Does it sound reasonable ?

thanks for your help

theresalwaysone
19th Aug 2006, 14:35
You can give training with your own plane or in an Aeroclub. Do you think age makes a pilot better than another?

QUITE RIGHT perhaps a 17 year old might have a better attitude that the ageing BEAGLE

DC-8
19th Aug 2006, 20:51
Correct me if I am wrong. Is this the correct path to gain a FI qualification ?
PPL + 150 hours
CPL
FI rating

You need 200TT of which 100 must be PIC time if you have a CPL or ATPL. And if you hold a PPL you also need 200TT but 150 of PIC instead of 100, as well as the CPL exams passed (but not the licence).

AWYRCYMRY, I've been reviewing the JAR-FCL's and they say if you want to get a FI(A) rating you must be at least 18. Maybe in the UK is different, I don't know, so try to get more info. Anyway, as CaptAirProx says, you can do trial lessons with your plane or in an Aeroclub, so no problem!

Good luck!

sam34
20th Aug 2006, 11:17
a little question :
all the instructors are paid or not ? are there instructors voluntaries ?

DC-8
20th Aug 2006, 11:26
are there instructors voluntaries ?

Yes, if they're giving instruction with a FI rating based on a PPL licence. A PPL can not earn money by flying.

sam34
20th Aug 2006, 12:18
ok, but I am living in France and I know even throught you have a CPL with FI rating you are not paid here. You may earn money but rarely. So with CPL and FI are you sure earn money in Uk ?

lokas
23rd Aug 2006, 09:06
Also just wondering, if you had a PPL and were wishing to get FI rating, would you need to pass a Class 1 Medical?