PDA

View Full Version : No easy answer!!

Dpilot
5th Aug 2006, 21:15
Can some one please help me out with this one?

Here is the back ground.

ME!
FAA CFI CFII MEI
JAA CPL Multi/IR

Student
FAA PPL and owner of owen a/c a G-reg.

Problem!
Can I give IR instruction to this student using the privileges of my FAA liceance if we remain VFR and only file VFR?:ok: :=

Whopity
6th Aug 2006, 08:51
Essentially you want to exercise the privileges of a rating that you hold i.e. for FAA IR. That should not pose a problem.

Secondly you are legally entitled to fly the aircraft in UK (International) airspoace both IFR and VFR so don't see why the VFR only bit comes into it. The instructon is for a FAA rating, therefore nothing to do with UK ANO as its not for the issue of a UK licence or rating so you don't need UK FI rating.

All seems quite reasonable.

Next question is one of payment. If no payments were made, very benevolent of you to provide free IR training, it would be a private flight and quite legal. To hire the aircraft to the student it must be maintained to public transport standards, not private.

Therefore it would seem possible to do it for FAA IR but you could not do it for a JAA IR.

DFC
6th Aug 2006, 19:58
You can do it for the FAA rating provided you;

1. Remain VFR and VMC

2. Are not in any way paid for your services.

So feel free to give free flying to your "student".

Knowing the Irish Weather, you may find it a bit difficult to complete many instrumenty approaches VFR.

Regards,

DFC

Dpilot
6th Aug 2006, 20:36
Thanks for the input guys, I've got one other question to ask. I want to keep one logbook for all my flights be they FAA or JAA,should I make a remark stating if these flights are conducted with FAA or JAA licence, or should I maintain two logbooks.

DFC
7th Aug 2006, 20:57
1 Logbook will do.

Provided that you hold the licence/rating/medical etc to complete a flight then there is no need to record that fact in the record of that flight.

The authorities can check that you had a valid certificate if they decide to check and your logbook is merely a recording of the flights you completed.

Regards,

DFC

pilotbear
15th Aug 2006, 09:44
I think you should check with the IAA. You are using an FAA licence to teach in a UK reg aircraft in Irish Airspace. Usually, you need two out of the three to be the same.
I had to get approval to renew my UK instructor rating in my Austrian reg A/C in Irish Airspace.
Might be wrong but worth a phone call.:ok:

malc4d
18th Aug 2006, 13:31
Hope I'm not throwing cold water on it for you, BUT.. . . .
As far as l know about the newish FAA/TSA rules you can only give instruction as long as it is not for a new rating, ie not for a checkride. Otherwise you and your student must go through the same TSA bull**** as for flight training in the States. :=
Also as an FAA instructor have you completed your fssa training and . . . . . . .
Suggest you visit www.aopa.org/tsa_rule/ or www.tsa.gov/assets/pdf/recurrent_flight_school_module.pdf
hope this helps
malc :ugh: