PDA

View Full Version : So they've got a pay rise!??

TheComparer
7th May 2001, 22:04
L1011: If what you're saying is true is that you're saying that all Singapore Airlines pilots have got a pay rise! Oh my god! What a great achievement. Kudos must go to the pilots and ALPAS. Well done to you all. It's good that you put the squeeze on stingy Singapore Airlines.

So what is the new deal for pilots of 744s for example? Let me get my last edition of Flight Internation

Oh look. What I've found!

SIA Mauritius wants 744s for LHR, LAX, SYD and 777s for PER and BNE!

Blah blah blah

-----Depending on your basing, the current annual salary (including allowances and year-end bonus (Hoorah!)) is approximately a) STG 78000 in LHR (What the hell is STG!!), b) USD 113.000 in Los Anglaes, c) AUD206,000 in SYD or AUD 168000 in PER / BNE. In addition, subsistence allowance will be paid for each hour away from Base (for meals and incidental expenses whilst on flying duty) and a BONUS depending on the company's performance (which is at an all time high this year I believe).

If type qualified a gratuity of STG (Bloody STG again) 21000 LHR, $30 000 LAX, AUD 55500 SYD / PER / BNE is payable upon completion of the contract period of 3 YEARS with prospects for extension!

If given 777 conversion traning, a gratuity of AUD 92500 PER/BNE is payable upon completion of the contract period of 5 years with prospects for extension.

Free air travel... yeah whatever

Annual Leave: 4 CALENDAR WEEKS!

Yeahn yeah yeah whatever.
------
So has ALPAS got an improvement on that or what?

what_the_hell_was_that?
8th May 2001, 00:47
My dear friend, have you really never heard of Sterling (STG) or art thou taking the pi*s?

Perhaps I should give you a short history in our two currencies……

STERLING
The term is derived from the fact that, about 775AD, silver coins known as “sterlings” were issued in the Saxon kingdoms, 240 of them being minted from a pound of silver, the weight of which was probably about equal to the later troy pound. Hence large payments came to be reckoned in “pounds of sterlings,” a phrase later shortened to “pounds sterling.” After the Norman Conquest the pound was divided for accounting purposes into 20 shillings and into 240 pennies, or pence. In medieval Latin documents the words libra, solidus, and denarius were used to denote the pound, shilling, and penny, which gave rise to the use of the symbols £, s., and d.

DOLLAR
Originally, a silver coin that circulated in many European countries; in modern times, the name of the standard monetary unit in the United States, Canada, Australia, New Zealand, and other countries. The Spanish peso, or piece of eight, which circulated in the Spanish and English colonies in America, was known as a dollar by the English-speaking peoples. Familiarity with this coin resulted in the official designation of the United States monetary unit as the dollar in 1792. Canada adopted the dollar and monetary decimal system in 1858; Australia in 1966; and New Zealand in 1967.
If you would like to investigate this topic further you will find that your forefathers were using the sterling in the colonies long before Benjamin Franklin stuck his mug all over your ‘new fangled’ dollar bills.

But hey, it’s only money!

(Greetings from the Motherland)