PDA

View Full Version : NORAD 9/11 tapes

garp
3rd Aug 2006, 17:55
The tapes have been released, in the article below you can click and listen to the actual conversations. Chilling stuff, everyone who was at the job on that day, be it in the US or Europe will always remeber that day as if it were yesterday.
http://www.vanityfair.com/features/general/060801fege01

finfly1
4th Aug 2006, 23:00
Gripping, compelling listening. Thanks for the link.

Minesapint
7th Aug 2006, 20:38
The busiest opsroom I have ever seen, with 28 years in ATC at the time, was Terminal Control London. That day I will never forget!

songbird29
9th Aug 2006, 16:43
The NORAD tapes give a good and rather positive image of what actually happened in the Air Defence Ops room. It is in fact astonishing that the tapes were not revealed much earlier as they qualify the negative image of the military in the 9-11 affair.
In the movie picture 'United 93' Ben Sliney, starring "as himself" as chief of Central Flow at Herndon Vga, is very critical about the military support he got, or rather didn't get. From his perspective he is right of course and in the film the military liaison officer is not portrayed as the most efficient person. The higher-ups in the military have made things even much worse by presenting a false picture of the events before a congressional hearing, as we can read in the NORAD tapes story.
But the NORAD tapes reveal as well that the mil air defence staff in the NEADS bunker did a pretty good job, under the circumstances and with all the confusion. But who wasn't confused that day. They tried their best under the severest pressure that one can imagine.
I think it's fair to acknowledge this.