PDA

View Full Version : go-around due to ground handling??

crjlover
2nd Aug 2006, 16:11
Good afternoon,
a few days ago, one of the flights of the airline where I work, landing in EGGW received a go-around instruction from ATC in Luton because they told that we have not handling in Luton. After a few discussion and a couple of holdings the flight landed in EGGW.
The handling was arranged but servisair forgot our flight, and a regular SCR has been arranged.
This is the first time that such a thing happen in my knowledge.
Can you provide me some reference or info?
Who can I contact to discuss about these issue??

vintage ATCO
2nd Aug 2006, 17:00
Not really an ATC issue as they would only be acting on behalf of the airport. I'll PM you some contact details.

London Mil
2nd Aug 2006, 17:25
Bet TC were impressed. "Go around becuase the handling agents have screwed-up."

HEATHROW DIRECTOR
2nd Aug 2006, 18:04
Seen similar things happen at Heathrow so not surprised. Nothing to do with ATC. All down to the airport authority.

suppie
2nd Aug 2006, 21:17
How do U mean an airport issue?? If there is a flt plan then there shud be no problem to land atc wise....after landing to be handeled thats annother issue..atleast thats how it works at AMS:8

HEATHROW DIRECTOR
3rd Aug 2006, 07:05
OK, we all know that ATC cannot refuse a clearance other than for traffic reasons. However, if the airport authority rings up and says an aircraft must land (or take off) then ATC has no choice other than to pass this info to the pilot with appropriate instructions.

Noise rules at Heathrow saw several such events during my time there. One night Concorde was late coming back and was going to land just a few seconds after the curfew time. The crew and ATC did their utmost to get it there on time, but at a few seconds to the hour the airport authority said it could not land so it did a go-around from low-level and diverted. The sheer stupidity of such a decision left us all amazed.

I saw a go-around during the day when the authority said an aircraft could not land because it did not have a landing slot. Despite the fact that it was on final approach with a clear runway in front of it and there were no traffic delays we had to send it around (with an explanation to the crew) and it diverted to Farnborough.

These incredible things really do happen... Of course, in all these events if the Captain decided that he wanted to land then ATC would have had no choice but to issue the clearance.

suppie
3rd Aug 2006, 08:29
I understand that part of the story as I had once a 707 comming back from the rwy as the curfew started while he was at the beginning of the rwy.
But for no handler assigned its a strange story..I do work for a groundhandling company and if a stange company comes in and gives me a creditcard they got their groundhandler..anyway its a strange story
And for the flight diverting due no landingslot thats good because some airlines who dont get a landingslot depart from their station thinking they will get the permission to land anyhow:ugh: