PDA

View Full Version : Royal Aeronautical Society

XL319
1st Aug 2006, 07:21
Is anyone a member of RAeS? If so, is it worth joining?

McAero
1st Aug 2006, 15:59
I'm an associate. You need at least 5 years post grad work experience to be a member these days. Yeah, it's worth it. Been to a couple of conferences and you meet some interesting people.

Lucifer
1st Aug 2006, 16:32
Definitely worth it.

Chinchilla.612
1st Aug 2006, 20:08
Yes to the first question. And a very big yes to the second question.

Takes a while for the application process to work it's way through, but definately go for it. The grade to apply for will depend on your background, so check the details on the website before submitting the paperwork.

Good luck.

Chinchilla.

john_tullamarine
2nd Aug 2006, 01:39
MRAeS. Gives you access to a range of useful stuff. In my view, well worth the annual dollars.

Hasher
3rd Aug 2006, 15:55
All I got was news letters and a large fee each year, think it is good if you are an enginner but not as a pilot, it means nothing on a CV.

XL319
4th Aug 2006, 07:30
Thank you for your comments. Im in the process of joining, however i had concerns about what you got for your fee. Let's hope it turns out to be fruitful.

mrloop
4th Aug 2006, 16:00
The other thing to consider is that if you make MRAeS you can then apply to FEANI (European engineers institution) for the (unfortunately named) prenominal title of Eur Ing which is useful if you have UK qualifications and want to work in Europe.

Eur Ing MrLoop MIMechE - not sure whether it is worth investing in the RAeS as well

Mad (Flt) Scientist
4th Aug 2006, 16:46
On a very trivial note, Membership will also let you apply for chartered engineer status, too.

Which is useful for signing off people's passport applications, if nothing else. ;)

AirRabbit
6th Aug 2006, 21:51
MRAeS. Gives you access to a range of useful stuff. In my view, well worth the annual dollars.
I agree completely, particularly if you're able to attend some of the many conferences and technical presentations held each year! And, currently the RAeS are making a considerable effort to provide more services as well.