PDA

View Full Version : Revalidation of AFI Rating

quartermilltopo
30th Jul 2006, 22:15
About a million years ago, I was the proud owner of what was known as an 'Assistant Flying Instructor's Rating'. Having spent the last 21,000 hours flying something far too big and complicated for me, I'd love to get back into some instructional flying. Can any professional instructors out there give me some information on what I'd need to do to revalidate my basic qualification? I did my F.I. course with the wonderful Ron Campbell at Cranfield in 1971. I do hope he is still with us?
Thank you for any information you can provide.

theresalwaysone
31st Jul 2006, 00:17
I remeber 'wonderful' Ron Cambell I went to an instructor syposium with Campbell and a CAA examiner at Coventry in the 70s.

Campbell stood up half way through and opened a Birch and Bramson book at the spiining page and started to pull it a part saying it was dangerous. I think that must rank as the most unprofessional act i have ever seen in flying--i never thought much of him after that! what was more amazing is that Bramson and Cambell were both on the panel of examiners.

BEagle
31st Jul 2006, 06:39
quartermilltopo, although yours was a pre-JAR-FCL 'AFI' Rating, the renewal requirements are probably the same as for a JAR-FCL FI(A) Rating lapsed by more than 5 years:

1. Attend a FI refresher seminar approved by the Authority within the 12 months preceding the date of application for renewal,

2. Pass a FI (A) proficiency check within the 12 months preceding the date of application for renewal (you will probably need some refresher flying first!),

3. Submit completed form SRG\1153 to demonstrate to the satisfaction of the Authority that knowledge of the relevant parts of JAR-FCL and JAR-OPS has been acquired.

4. Send the renewal application to PLD for endorsement together with the appropriate fee as per Scheme of Charges.

That's as I read it, but you should check with a FTO authorised to conduct FI training.

You will probably also need to renew your SEP Class Rating.

quartermilltopo
31st Jul 2006, 22:31
Many thanks for the reply, BEagle.
I will put wheels in motion as you suggested.
Happy Flying.