PDA

View Full Version : Method used by BA 744 drivers to step.

retard-retard
29th Jul 2006, 16:03
I am interested to know what the BA SOP is for initiating a step climb?

Do you simply wind in the new altitude and hit the button or do you use V/S to make a steady climb without using CLB power to get you there?

Cheers.

Mark.

ETOPS
29th Jul 2006, 16:36
retard-retard

The trainers preferred method is to use VNAV climb but manually select CLB2 from the Thrust ref page. Use of V/S discouraged as there is no min speed protection.

However, I can't be bothered so just let it use CLB ..........:bored:

retard-retard
29th Jul 2006, 16:49
Haha, thanks ETOPS, so you do just wind it in and punch the dial then!

Which I presume is what the 'trainers' want you to do but without slecting CLB2 in THR REF page?

And I'm getting really technical now :bored: is the THR REF page incumbant to the T7 and is the same function as the THRUST LIMIT page on a 744?

Thanks again, ETOPS.

Mark.

BOAC
29th Jul 2006, 17:18
Not forgetting, of course, ETOPS, RVSM climb rate restrictions - assuming the old lady can generate that much:)

TopBunk
29th Jul 2006, 17:43
BOAC

Lack of thrust is not usually a problem, believe me;)

BOAC
29th Jul 2006, 18:26
Ooh! I was going to say....but I thought better of it:) l

Manual Reversion
29th Jul 2006, 22:56
Not BA, but if a crew member is asleep in the bunk,then V/S and very gently up to the next altitude

retard-retard
30th Jul 2006, 01:24
Yes, Man Rev, that's what I suspected.

It then negates the feeling for the PAX of acceleration and slow down once at the OPT FL.

I guess every airline has it's preference, according to VIR they do use V/S to accomplish step ALT resultant.

It's interaesting to know that everyone is different.

Thanks for helping me out.

Mark.

ETOPS
30th Jul 2006, 10:03
I've no objection to V/S at low altitude , but at the weights we fly at (full all the time don't you know ;) ) you could get close to the "yellow" if distracted. VNAV will at least protect you from that.........

Joe le Taxi
2nd Aug 2006, 10:38
BOAC - VNAV now has an algorythmn that ensures compliance with RVSM max climb limits.

BOAC
2nd Aug 2006, 20:48
Interesting - which update and a/c type?

Joe le Taxi
4th Aug 2006, 13:10
search me! .. but it was incorporated (B744) about 3 months ago, (or at least from being instructed to use V/S, we were then instructed to use VNAV, because RVSM considerations had been incorporated). I can't remember whether VNAV now gives a restricted vertical speed in the last 1000', or just that the TCAS now has a new programming which stops it panicking when it approaches an a/c at an adjacent FL at >1000fpm. Either way, VNAV is what we use now.

NB I'm not BA, but I would imagine all operators get the same updates.