PDA

View Full Version : RR Merlin Spares

Brian Abraham
28th Jul 2006, 03:48
The thread on the Mosquito got me to thinking how on the world do people keep the Merlin powered airframes in the air. Is there a ready supply of spares, or shops who build new cranks, cams, pistons etc etc. Hope so and long may they prosper.

chevvron
28th Jul 2006, 07:42
There's a guy in California who rebuilds Merlin and Packard Merlin engines, whether he actually makes parts I don't know. (Dave Zeuschel Racing Engines I think)

Mark22
28th Jul 2006, 19:21
There's a guy in California who rebuilds Merlin and Packard Merlin engines, whether he actually makes parts I don't know. (Dave Zeuschel Racing Engines I think)

Dave was killed in a F-86 Sabre accident many years ago perhaps 15-20.

The gentlman you might be thinking of is Mike Nixon of Vintage V12.

http://www.tehachapinews.com/home/viewarticle.php?cat_id=383&post=13433&signin=1

Mark22

treadigraph
28th Jul 2006, 21:41
Dave was killed in a F-86 Sabre accident many years ago perhaps 15-20.
Yes it was 1987 (it says here). Gosh, that long ago...?
The gentlman you might be thinking of is Mike Nixon of Vintage V12.
Also Dwight Thorn in California and a chap called Tor (?) Sandvik at JRS in Minnesota (?), who was the late John Sandberg's engineer, both do Merlin rebuilds in the US, largely for the Reno racing market I think. Not sure that they machine new parts though... Wasn't there another thread on "new Spitfires" on here a while back?
Pretty sure that Mike Nixon did the Merlin that ended up in The Fighter Collection's most recent Hurricane restoration (now emigrated to Canada!).

chevvron
29th Jul 2006, 07:59
Got my info from viewing the addresses on packing cases when 'Dirty Doug' owned Blackbushe, so I'm not surprised it's out of date!

Mike51
30th Jul 2006, 05:52
Also Dwight Thorn in California and a chap called Tor (?) Sandvik at JRS in Minnesota (?), who was the late John Sandberg's engineer, both do Merlin rebuilds in the US, largely for the Reno racing market I think.
You're thinking of the late Sam Torvik, who passed away a few years back. Since then, the JRS Enterprises engine shop has closed.

Reno Merlins these days are prepared by Mike Barrow and Rick Schanholtzer, Dwight Thorn having retired a few years back. I believe that Jack Hovey still overhauls Merlins, but not for racing.

treadigraph
30th Jul 2006, 09:16
I had a feeling I hadn't quite got his name right - I hadn't heard that he'd died. There was a good article in Pilot about Torvik, Nixon and Thorn several years ago - longer than I had thought I guess!

Yak11Fan
2nd Aug 2006, 23:27
Why go all the way to America to get a Merlin when you can have one built in the UK?
Maurice Hammond has been quietly building Merlins for a good few years now.

Mr C Rolls
11th Sep 2006, 10:53
Some one mentioned the TFC Hurricane that's gone to Canada,It had the engine rebulit a Retro Track and Air, there the people that rebuild all the BBMF Merlins. As for making parts I would contact them they seem to have thousands of drawings and are making new camshafts,rockers,gears,liners etc.