PDA

View Full Version : BA: Was this correct?

QRCC2B
27th Jul 2006, 16:40
Not too long ago I flew from Asia to LHR with BA on the B777. The safety demonstration is conducted by a video presentation and I noticed that the video shown was originated for the B747 (i.e. location of emergency exits did not agree. No upper level with two exits on the B777 and only eight exits on main floor as opposed to ten on the B747.

Was this correct or even legal as wrong safety information was given or is it standard at BA to use a B747 safety demonstration video on their B777 aircraft?

QRCC2B

Getoutofmygalley
27th Jul 2006, 16:52
All safety demonstrations should be relevant to aircraft type. If the demonstration says that there are 10 exits, then there should be 10 exits.

If the demonstration says that you tie the tape on the life jacket in a double knott, then you should tie it and not click "tabs" like you do on the more modern Hoover life jackets.

I would suggest you contact BA giving them details of your flight (date, flight number) so that they can check if you are correct and load the correct demonstration onto the aircraft.

sixmilehighclub
27th Jul 2006, 20:09
The safety demonstration should give information regarding the locations of exits, but this is usually done by stating that there are two exits at the rear of the aircraft and two at the front of each cabin section.

During the demonstration, BA SOPs suggest that the Cabin crew are obliged to physically point out the nearest exits relevant to that aircraft, and to the area they are in.

The relevant safetycard must also be available to each passenger which reiterates the location of the exits relevant to that aircraft.

I however, was under the impression that the new videos BA provide are generic in a way they are relevant to all aircraft in the long haul/ long range fleet. :confused:

sevenforeseven
28th Jul 2006, 01:38
QRCC2B, Asia is a large continent, exactly from where did this flight originate?

Thanks.

QRCC2B
28th Jul 2006, 16:47
It actually originated from the Indian Subcontinent, BOM.

I found the safety information to be misleading as the video did state there were also emergency exits on the upper level. Very true that the cabin crew did point out the nearest exits. I always thought the information had to be accurate.

QRCC2B

keel beam
28th Jul 2006, 19:38
Why didn't you mention it to the cabin crew?

sevenforeseven
28th Jul 2006, 23:43
In my opinion the aircraft should have been grounded, or NOT to fly any passengers until the correct information was obtained.

Indeed sounds to me like a violation.

wiggy
1st Aug 2006, 00:10
Ahh, I saw this happen recently when I positioned ( in a 777) on the flight I was meant to operate ( 744). What happens is that the guys at LHR who provide the stocks of onboard forms, films and safety videos generally provide a package of videos etc based on the scheduled aircraft type ( I know, I know.........), hence ex-LHR we got a video of the 744 procedures and door positions. Fortunately the very sharp Cabin team were on the ball and issued a correcting PA.

BTW QRC well done for noticing, most SLF don't.

411A
1st Aug 2006, 00:14
Have to ask...I wonder just why the concerned cabin crew on the flight ex-BOM in question, didn't notice?

Out to lunch, perhaps?

One would expect just slightly more from BA.

Final 3 Greens
1st Aug 2006, 05:42
I once had the same experience travelling from LHR to CAI.

Then I got off at CAI and discovered that I had travellled on a 747 :\

Funny what the brain can do when you are expecting one aircraft on a route and then board without seeing what you are getting on to.

Bealzebub
1st Aug 2006, 15:28
If any part of the automatic safety briefing is unserviceable then a manual demonstration takes place. Emergency exits are normally pointed out manually even if an automatic presentation is being given.

If the wrong video was being shown it should have been noticed. The supposistion that it was, but was not queried by the passenger concerned, rather begs the question, "so why ask now ?"

411A
2nd Aug 2006, 02:53
...or rather, why did not the concerned cabin crew notice at the time.

One wonders:ugh:

Bealzebub
2nd Aug 2006, 14:10
...Possibly because most of them are facing the passengers, with their backs to the screens whilst pointing out the exits. :rolleyes:

However if something erroneous occurs be it an incorrect safety video or something more serious such as ice on the wings, it is better to question it than wonder 3 months later if it was "illegal" or not.

As far as the safety briefing is concerned, virtually all of it is common to all types save for the exit positions and operation. There is a default in that the operation is also shown on the safety card that the passenger is directed to read, and the location that should be manually pointed out.

Obviously it is not right if the wrong video is shown and it should have been detected before presentation, however in an imperfect world an error detected or suspected by a passenger can be questioned at the time.

sixmilehighclub
2nd Aug 2006, 15:00
...or rather, why did not the concerned cabin crew notice at the time.

One wonders Who knows what had happened during the boarding of the aircraft? Perhaps the cabin crew had an unusually high workload and by the time they were standing in their relevant positions, they were windiing down, or perhaps concentrating on other safety related issues so missed the announcement for the location of exits.

the aircraft should have been grounded Why?

There was actually TOO MUCH information given! The information given would have covered all of the relevant vital things, just with the addition of an upper deck and extra set of doors. They're both Twin Aisle, neither has overwing exits. The demo video points out there are two exits at the rear and two at the front of each cabin section, exactly the same as the B777, theres just more cabin sections on a B747. The safety cards were correct and the video asks you to study them.

Had it been a B747 but the B777 video was shown, then yes, there is a problem as some vital information would have been omitted. This would have required reverting to a manual demonstration conducted by the cabin crew, prior to take off.

Because the information given didn't miss anything out, there is no CAA requirement to ground or delay the aircraft.

Six

ThreadBaron
2nd Aug 2006, 16:50
Six

10 :ok:

QRCC2B
2nd Aug 2006, 17:36
I do realise I should have informed the cabin crew. My bad! Can't comment on why I didn't mention it to the cabin crew. I regret I didn't!

Don't take this the wrong way but I thought it was the cabin crew's responsibility to make sure all safety equipment were in order.

However, this did not occur three months ago. It actually occured a couple of weeks ago.

We were running late and they had also been informed they needed to depart because otherwise the flight would have been delayed by an additional 45 minutes as the runway (s) were to be closed down for three fourths. The cabin crew also seemed to be rather busy as it was a full load and the aircraft had arrived late into BOM.

QRCC2B

chadwick
2nd Aug 2006, 22:04
If the aircraft type is specified in the content of the demonstration, the video should not be used and the manual presentation should be given to the passengers. I there is an emergency and passengers are under the impression they are on a different aircraft type this will/may cause confusion.

All aircraft leaflets should be correct on board with at least one to each set of seats rows on the right and left hand side of the aircraft. In the preboarding checks the IFS should check the correct video is present and never an excuse such as Who knows what had happened during the boarding of the aircraft? Perhaps the cabin crew had an unusually high workload and by the time they were standing in their relevant positions, they were winding down, or perhaps concentrating on other safety related issues so missed the announcement for the location of exits.

A manual demonstration should be carried out by the crew regardless.

No boarding of a plane should be carried out until the IFS/number 1 is ready to accept passengers and all security checks completed. If in doubt issues should be raised with the Captain. Safety is paramount for crew and passengers. No excuse should be given until the cabin is security checked.

Rwy in Sight
9th Aug 2006, 08:09
Could someone explained how a 747 video was found on 777 aircraft?

Rwy in Sight

QRCC2B
10th Aug 2006, 18:36
I have been in touch with BA and the gentleman I spoke to said he would pass on this matter to the managers concerned.

QRCC2B

QRCC2B
10th Aug 2006, 18:39
Could someone explained how a 747 video was found on 777 aircraft?
Rwy in Sight

This is something I also would like to know. I thought the crew did check this during their safety checks? It also must have been used on the first sector, LHR-BOM as this occured on my home return flight from BOM.

QRCC2B

Check Airman
18th Aug 2006, 23:56
I always thought the vids had to be type specific. Some airlines have the cabin crew do it live.