PDA

View Full Version : Florida flying

bellend
25th Jul 2006, 07:22
Hi
I am a low(90) hour JAA PPL holder and going to Florida in September. I have never flown abroad before and want to do some flying while I am there. Can anybody tell me what I need to do to go about it and what if any other documents to bring(license,logbook,passport). I am hoping to fly from the Orlando area so any recomendations advice will be appreciated. I have been told that aircraft hire is cheap in the USA ,I currently pay £100 per hour for a warrior so what can i expect to pay in Florida? Also is my license valid in FAA land? as I am not sure Ive been told yes and no so far so am confused :ugh:
Cheers Bellend

See last post for link

BRL
25th Jul 2006, 09:56
Hope this is of use........

http://www.pprune.org/forums/search.php?searchid=415602

bellend
25th Jul 2006, 10:22
Yes thanks,I did go through the search but found so much generally about training that it was a bit overwhelming. Can I ask do i need any additional documents to fly in the states or is the licence log book passport medical enough?

enq
25th Jul 2006, 11:21
Bellend - you will need to have an FAA private pilots licence issued on the basis of your JAR licence. I'm afraid it's a while since I got mine so there's no point telling you the route I had to take as the rules will certainly have changed. Knowing how long administration can take (in any country) you will need to get the ball rolling now to ensure a flight or two.

I use sunstate aviation out of Kissimmee airport when in Orlando but any of the local schools will have websites or be happy to chat about prices.

Regards, enq.

Superpilot
25th Jul 2006, 11:31
I have been told that aircraft hire is cheap in the USA ,I currently pay £100 per hour for a warrior so what can i expect to pay in Florida?

You currently pay £100 for a Warrior that is between 20-30 years old. Expect to pay about $125, or about £70 for a brand new Cessna 172SP.

Paris Dakar
25th Jul 2006, 11:42
bellend,

In order to fly in the US you will need an FAA licence issued on the back of your JAA PPL. The FAA website explains how you go about the process but basically you need to pay a fee to our CAA in order for them to relase details about you to the FAA.

You will also need to tell the FAA which FSDO (Flight Standards District Office) you wish to visit (there is one in Orlando) in order to collect your Temp US licence. You will need to take your licence (JAA), logbook and passport with you when you attend. Please note - the FAA website states that you should allow 90 days for processing your application. If your going in September you need to get your skates on!!

Visa - you don't need one. You are not training therefore you can fly under the visa waiver programme.

You will need to do a BFR (Biennial Flight Review) with whovever is renting you the aircraft. The BFR consists of 1hr groundschool and 1hr flying and is similar to a mini skills test in the UK. Use this flight (and book additional time if need be) to get up to speed with the RT, local area and circuit procedures.

Rental costs will depend on where you hire from, I paid $100 per hr (wet) for a PA28 in March this year and a similar amount for a C172. Avgas was approx £2 a gallon but the price may have increased since then.

PD

bellend
25th Jul 2006, 11:46
Oh bummer, I was afraid of the red tape scenario. I was told that my JAA license would be good for the USA,great advice:D ,I will have to get my ass in gear then and apply soon ,thanks for the information chaps

regs Bellend

Edit- Paris Dakar thanks for the in depth ,great help

Anybody interested in JAA to FAA license certificate follow this link
<http://www.faa.gov/licenses_certificates/airmen_certification/foreign_license_verification/>

Paris Dakar
25th Jul 2006, 11:56
bellend,

No probs matey - PM me if need anything else.

Good luck :ok:

selfin
25th Jul 2006, 12:45
FAA Airman cert issued on back of JAA License..

Last time I was speaking with the Kansas City FSDO (2002) they mentioned this process would be axed; that an FAA license would be needed through a flight test etc. Was this a proposal subsequently rejected or is it indeed the case now?

Paris Dakar
25th Jul 2006, 13:43
Pre 9/11, obtaining a Temp US Airmans Cert was a simple matter of calling up an FSDO and arranging to visit them (20 mins was all it took, and I was on my merry way) and the cert was free.

I would imagine that the FAA looked at a whole array of options available to them post 9/11 - it may well be that one option they might have considered was to stop the issuance of such licences. Personally, I've never heard about them being curtailed but perhaps someone with more up to date info than I may be able to shine a light on this.

PD,

Glasgow_Flyer
25th Jul 2006, 22:20
Unreal - I just logged on to ask exactly the same question.

I'm not that bothered about solo hire though - so assume i could just arrange some "trial lessons" while out there? (I'm going early september - bummed to have missed a shuttle launch by 2 days - but might get the landing!).

I'd love to fly out of one of the strips where folk have their boats and planes tied up outside - just not so practical in Glasgow!

Paris Dakar
25th Jul 2006, 23:54
Glasgow_Flyer,

Yep, just Google some flying schools in the area where you intend visiting, arrange to go along and see what they have on offer - and tell them you want to burn some holes in the sky.

There are dozens and dozens of outfits in the Orlando area alone - I'm sure you will find a great bunch of friendly/enthusiastic people, only too happy to get you aloft. :)

flyboyike
26th Jul 2006, 00:24
FAA Airman cert issued on back of JAA License..

Last time I was speaking with the Kansas City FSDO (2002) they mentioned this process would be axed; that an FAA license would be needed through a flight test etc. Was this a proposal subsequently rejected or is it indeed the case now?

Relax, everyone, it has not been axed, it's still being done, pursuant to FAR 61.75, as detailed here:

http://ecfr.gpoaccess.gov/cgi/t/text/text-idx?c=ecfr&sid=112f71c7154348ff1aea2d1dbaa7bd87&rgn=div8&view=text&node=14:2.0.1.1.2.2.1.10&idno=14

Glasgow_Flyer
29th Jul 2006, 20:34
Glasgow_Flyer,

Yep, just Google some flying schools in the area where you intend visiting, arrange to go along and see what they have on offer - and tell them you want to burn some holes in the sky.

There are dozens and dozens of outfits in the Orlando area alone - I'm sure you will find a great bunch of friendly/enthusiastic people, only too happy to get you aloft. :)

Thanks PD - can't wait to get out there. Got a mate (who has no interest in flying) who was out there last year and did an hours aerobatic flying - just makes me want to jump up and down with excitement when I think about it!!

Bellend - give me a shout if you find something mate - if you are there at the same time (I'm out first 2 weeks in Sept) we could do some beers and a BBQ by the r/w (after flying, of course!!!).

Aeronut
29th Jul 2006, 21:11
Bellend,

Lots and lots of opportunities in Florida.

I would highly recommend getting hold of a copy of the booklet "VFR Radio procedures in the USA".
Loads of useful info to give you greater confidence in USA RT and charts. also has join procedures, flight following, obtaining weather etc etc
Transair do it for £8.50
http://www.transair.co.uk/product4.asp?SID=2&Product_ID=705

bellend
30th Jul 2006, 08:46
Aeronut ,thanks will order today

bellend
30th Jul 2006, 08:50
Bellend - give me a shout if you find something mate - if you are there at the same time (I'm out first 2 weeks in Sept) we could do some beers and a BBQ by the r/w (after flying, of course!!!).[/QUOTE]

That sounds great ,unfortunately I am out last 2 weeks of september with a view to putting it back till october ,PM you with my rental choice

kemblejet01
30th Jul 2006, 14:45
Bellend,

pm me if you are in search of accom. Have a tasty villa close in Kissimmee.

KMB01

DaveW
30th Jul 2006, 19:35
The relevant information is contained in the posts above, but if you want it all collated into a step-by-step guide with links to the relevant FAA and CAA forms, plus info about FSDO locations, then take a look here (http://www.atsx91.dsl.pipex.com/aviation.htm). (Scroll down about 1 screen).