PDA

View Full Version : FAA Comms failure

cahelo
25th Jul 2006, 04:02
Hey folks,
A couple of questions came up while reading if someone could be so kind as to clarify for me... I depart from a class D airspace into uncontrolled airspace. I have comms failure while out there. Let's say I'm equal distance from a class G airport and the takeoff class D.

What is recommended procedure other than squaking 7600?

Is it then ok to enter the class D airspace without a radio or a light gun signal considering you need radio communications to enter class D? Should I go to the class G airport? If I really wanted to get back into that class D (as it's my home base) what would be the procedure? Do I fly over at 2,500? Would I be able to see a light signal from 5 miles out (staying outside of D)? Or can I just proceed back to the airport as I've squawked 7600?

If anyone wants to follow up with class B & C that'd be great, but not necessary. The regs say you need radio communication (& clearance for class B) but someone told me you can just go in as you've squawked 7600 so I just want to be sure.

Thanks for the help!

Jerry.

411A
25th Jul 2006, 14:32
If VFR, yes you can return to the class D airport, enter the traffic pattern, and look for light signals.
It is not necessary to squak 7600, unless you are within the thirty mile vail around a Class B area, ( but underneath the floor, for example, while enroute to the class D airport).

A better alternative might be to land at the class G airport, then telephone the class D tower and advise them if your planned actions.

cahelo
26th Jul 2006, 01:13
Thanks for the reply!