PDA

View Full Version : 15 year old, training for PPL

rafhawk
24th Jul 2006, 18:14
Hi there guys,

I am 15 and i live in Bournemouth Dorset, and i am about to start my PPL training, so that i can hopefully get my licence as soon after my 17th birthday as possible.

I can just about finance my PPL, but i am just wondering what my best option is for flying after i get my licence???

Do i go into a syndicate, get a small aircraft???
If so, what aircraft can you recomend as the cheapest? and rough running costs.

Regards, Rob

tmmorris
24th Jul 2006, 19:34
You need a lot of money to own your own, even if it's small/microlight type. Others on here are owners - not me - but I've often seen quoted for example that you need to be flying >250hrs a year to be worth it - that's 5 hours a week, or at typical club hire rates spending >£20,000 a year on flying. If you can afford that, good luck to you! if not, then a group is usually the cheapest option.

Where in the country are you, and are you by any chance in the ATC or CCF(RAF) cadets?

Tim

rafhawk
24th Jul 2006, 19:42
You right, i cant afford that much just yet.

I live down in Bournemouth , Dorset, and i am a member of my local Air Cadet Organisation. I have flown regularly in the Grob Tutor 115e and in the Viking Glider

Thanks for your post, Regards.
Rob

foxmoth
25th Jul 2006, 10:53
If you do a search you will find loads of posts on groups. I thoroughly recommend a group round a PFA type, ours costs us 85 pounds/month + fuel and landing fees, that is for a 3,000 outlay and a 5 person group - even if we only fly 1 hour a month that is still almost the same as hiring a club aircraft - then we are flying for about 26/hour + landings! A largergroup would be even cheaper.