PDA

View Full Version : What GPS?

ZoomZoom
24th Jul 2006, 14:38
Dear all

What GPS do you have and what are the pros and cons.

I was looking at a Garmin 296 but really need to know is it value for money and practical for my use as a PPL or should I be considering another model..

Any help wopuld be appreciated.

ZZ

Chequeredflag
24th Jul 2006, 14:45
I have a Garmin 296. Didn't use it at all during training (not allowed), but use it all the time now (though I still draw routes on charts and work out wind corrections etc, 'cos the GPS might pack up, and anyway I like doing it!!) The 296 is a fab bit of kit, lots of functions, including airspace incursion and terrain warnings etc, and a good battery life, 7 - 10 hours. Well recommended, but never get too reliant on it, you never know when Dubya might switch the system off!!

acuba 290
24th Jul 2006, 14:50
hopefully one day 396 will work in Europe also and then maybe 296 will be a bit cheaper on market...For me 296 is still too expensive :uhoh:

Rod1
24th Jul 2006, 15:18
A 196 is the best value for money. Also posible to get second hand ones. If you are intrested in a second hand one I may know of one.

Rod1

Longbow55
24th Jul 2006, 15:43
I bought a 196 in April, like it allot but don't know it very well, will get allot of use starting Monday on my trip.

I did have an airmap 500 for aprox 2.5 years and loved it, kinda wish I still had it as it can have both the Americas and Atlantic database in it. the detail compared to the Garmin unit and data base isn't quite as good as i remember.

I think looking at the unit for the function/utility you want is priority and the niceties secondary. for myself, the panel layout in the 196 was what I needed for a back-up system, the rest, approcahes, ect. were the benny, just my thought.

tmmorris
24th Jul 2006, 16:25
Lowrance Airmap 1000.

Pros: nice big screen, excellent mapping*, good route planning facility, ability to turn any waypoint into a pseudo-VOR, runs on aircraft power, comes with loads of accessories (several different brackets, external antenna, &c.).

Cons: not cheap (though cheaper now), *excellent mapping costs extra for UK, no automobile mode despite having the mapping for it, uses AA batteries fast if not powered from cigar lighter, quite large, monochrome only (there is of course the 2000C which is colour), no IAPs in database, only ICAO-coded airfields in database (and if you create a waypoint yourself it can't be designated as an airfield).

Would probably buy AvMap now if starting again, despite huge cost.

Tim

whiskeytangofoxtrot
24th Jul 2006, 21:19
As partly offtopic, I am not sure if you are aware, but it is possible to connect Garmin *aviation* GPS units to FS2004 using the GPSOut.dll library add-on available here:

http://www.schiratti.com/dowson.html - the gps needs to have the "Aviation IN" -protocol selected and it needs to be in "simulator mode" as well. It's the "AV400" switch in the configuration file if you wonder. A serial port cable is naturally needed.

It's a great help to be able to fly real scenarios at home using the simulator, while working the GPS unit. Much more fun and useful than using the built-in simulator mode of the GPS in my opinion.

Steve N
25th Jul 2006, 09:37
TMMORRIS thanks for the info on the Airmap 1000.
What is your opinion of the standard UK base map?
What level of detail is on it?
Does it show MATZ? I read there was a problem.

Ta

IO540
25th Jul 2006, 10:06
I still carry an old Skymap 2, usually living in the emergency bag with an EPIRB and an Icom radio.

Recently I was seriously tempted to buy the wonderful Avmap EKP IV - IMHO the best VFR/IFR handheld GPS currently out. (Navbox has just added route download support for it too)

But, as far as I can tell, it uses the same Jepp base data as all handhelds on the market, which means that Class A airways are not shown, other than just centrelines.

So I will keep the Skymap for emergencies, and will stick to my tablet computer running various GPS map applications, including Memory Map which can show the exact copy of the CAA chart.

tmmorris
25th Jul 2006, 12:43
Basic UK map wasn't great, which is why I shelled out for the upgrade. And no, there are no MATZs - annoying, as I fly out of one and they always ask me to report the MATZ boundary outbound!

T

dublinpilot
25th Jul 2006, 12:58
I use a PDA + PocketFMS (http://www.pocketfms.com)

Pros:
Relatively little cost if you already own a PDA. (Software is free. For €50 you can get more detailed maps.)
Software updates are frequent and free. They listen to their users and implement many of their suggestions.
Database updates are also free.
PC version makes planning very simple and quick, and they transfers all data to the PDA.
Maps are clear, detailed, and customisable (unlike memory map).
Colour display.
Unlike many Garmin units, PocketFMS has VRPs included within its database.
More extensive coverage of airfields than most dedicated units.
Worldwide mapping database, with no restriction on what FIR's are loaded.

Cons:
Not a dedicated aviation unit. It comprises PDA, GPS and Software. More interaction=more possibility for difficulties. (In practise once you get it to work, there isn't usually problems after that.)
Database doesn't come from a big company like Jeppesen, and may (and does) contain some errors. Once you flight plan in conjunction with your paper chart, you should stop any such error.
Screen is not as readable in direct sunlight as many dedicated aviation gpses.

I hope that helps you with your decision!

ZoomZoom
25th Jul 2006, 21:30
Thanks to all of you thus far, I am slowly educating myself....

Has anyone used / seen the Garmin 295, saw one advertised for 300 squid.

White Bear
26th Jul 2006, 21:36
Zoom Zoom,
I own and have used a 295 for over 4 years.
Good:
I enjoy the ability to combine the colour moving map and large readouts for altitude, ground speed, course, track, X track, destination and ETA all on the same screen, and the ability to quickly zoom in and out on the moving map.
It gives early warnings about entering controlled air space, can do Vnav etc, and of course has lots memory for preplanned routes and weigh points as well as a ‘direct too’ button for access to pre-entered commonly used destinations and a ‘nearest’ button for when donk’ stops.
It is relatively easy to change destinations in flight, or you can use the cursor to do so. ‘Paging’ through the screens will give access to an HSI, GPS position readout etc, and thing I find handy, local sundown and sunrise times. Different screens provide access to each airport frequencies, runway length, etc. I'm sure you can Google lots of info on what it can do for you.
If I mount it on the Yoke, or on top of the panel there is no problem with reception using the small antenna mounted directly on the unit, but Garmin do provide a remote antenna with the unit.

Bad:
Battery usage, if used on internal batteries the life is only about 6 hours. (6 AA batteries) If you have the ability to use onboard power, then it’s not a problem. On a couple of occasions when I did not pay attention when turning it on, I inadvertently adjusted the contrast to the extent that I did not think it was ‘on’. Just be careful.

In short it is a very good unit, and I have been very pleased with it. I’m sure the 296 and the 396 are better still, but given that I only fly VFR, and that most of my flying is done in the relatively flat region of the Mid West, I have no need of terrain readout, and for now I do not see any need to upgrade.

300 U.K. pounds sounds OK, since a 296 costs about $1500.00 new in the U.S., but I have no idea what the cost is in the U.K.

Regards,
W.B.

ZoomZoom
11th Aug 2006, 22:05
Many thanks for all your advice