PDA

View Full Version : Silent Atlas

stator vane
6th May 2001, 14:54
just wanted to ask what is going on at atlas.
had a class date for the stateside service and it was cancelled and now silence.

i looked forward to being back in ANC and seeing some of the MARKAIR freight dogs again.

Intruder
7th May 2001, 01:01
Atlas management probably doesn't know what's going on, either. I've heard reports that all hiring for the year is cancelled...

Roadtrip
7th May 2001, 04:34
Intruder - How can mainline Atlas stop hiring for so long with the attrition rate? Are block hours way down?

411A
7th May 2001, 04:45
Not only are block hours way down, they have aircraft PARKED. The freight business is in the pits.

LimeyAK
7th May 2001, 08:01
The attrition has slowed to almost nothing, most folks waiting to see what the contract brings.
Sure the flying is slow, but not just for Atlas,(check out some of the other frieght haulers with A/C parked), still managed a record 1st quarter though.
The flying will no doubt pick up when AACS dissolves into GSS, I hear their attrition is on the rise.

BJBATMAN
7th May 2001, 09:36
This is so confusing. Half the people I talk to say to run away as fast as you can. The other half say just be patient everything is fine.

Hunter58
7th May 2001, 15:42
BJBATMAN

count the sitting tails and decide for yourself...

------------------
There's nothing like a three-holer...

Move_It
7th May 2001, 16:02
Hunter58

Now I’m confused. Are you telling us that if we see Atlas flying ALL their planes in the next few months (during a recession) that BJBATMAN should stay?

HEAVYWHALE
8th May 2001, 01:28
All Atlas A/C are sold the third and fourth quarters. Expect record block hours and profits!

Hunter58
8th May 2001, 18:27
Move_it
if all their tails are regulalrly in the air, they are doing well, and therefore can pay salaries. Airplanes cost a lot of money, sitting or flying. But only by flying they create revenue. No revenues, no salary!

Heavywhale
And where does the cash come from the other 2 quarters? I don't want to be the customer who has to pay that ACMI! Must be astronomical.

------------------

HEAVYWHALE
8th May 2001, 20:13
Hunter,

If you can believe this, Atlas makes more money if the planes are sitting then if the planes fly. Our birds are on long term contracts, so the customer pays us even if we don't fly. If we don't fly, the company doesn't have to pay as much for the crews, and doesn't have to take the hit on maint. on the A/C.

So, as long as we aren't having contracts cancel we are golden. Atlas does well no matter what. Fuel prices go up, we aren't affected directly. We don't fly, we aren't affected initially. It's the golden goose and the cash cow all rolled up into one.

Don't get me wrong, if long term, like over a year or more, things stay bad, I'd be worrying. But when you compare us to other companies like UPS, FedEx, and the rest of them. No one, can touch us! Our profits are consistently over the 25% mark! Do you have any idea what companies like UPS and FedEx are making for profits? 6-8%

Now you say, can they afford to pay us??? you are a smart man, you tell me?

Silver Thunder
9th May 2001, 19:44
Stator Vane,

My personal theory is that hiring will resume once the ALPA contract is settled, or when we secure additional flying contracts. Rumor is that several large customers are just waiting for us to resolve our problems.

One thing to remember. Atlas can reliably move freight cheaper than anyone else in the sky.

Hunter58
10th May 2001, 12:57
Heavywhale

you fly the airplanes, I am in the business of looking how to pay them. You have contracts? Are you so sure they are valid and honored? From broke companies like Aerofloral? With what money? The creditor's?

Contracts can be cancelled any day, regardless of what is written in them. You go to court against one single customers, and all will definitely walk out!

Strange enough you don't believe management a single word when it comes to pilot issues (like AACS). But you believe them every single comma, when it comes to contracts? Lucky you, but I would be very supicious!

------------------

thatwasclose
10th May 2001, 14:59
It seems the time has finally come. The dreaded F word is in the air at Atlas. This is a first for the company.

CargoRat2
10th May 2001, 15:26
Is it Atlas mainline or GSS pilots that are strike busting for LH today? (FRA-JFK)

------------------
rgds Rat

Beaver Driver
10th May 2001, 16:02
Rat
Once again, mainline Atlas doesn't yet have a contract, so we have to fly when and where they tell us, or be fired. Having said all that, my guess is that it is the folks at AACS that you and others have so vociferously supported for so long.

CargoRat2
10th May 2001, 16:09
Beaver: me supporting? Couldn't give a stuff about GSS/AACS/Mainline. Correct me if I'm wrong, I've mentioned things like reciprocity, wet-leasing & what-have-you (Lets not open that subject again!).
My question is: Isn't flying for LH today technically "scabbing"? (note question, not accusation.)

------------------
rgds Rat

DownIn3Green
10th May 2001, 21:08
Sounds like it to me, Rat.

Seems like Beaver and the other Atlas guys want their ALPA status when it pleases them, but when it comes to crossing the line, well, your question is valid:

Just who is flying the LH cargo?

Funny how if AACS flys their cargo it would be a different situation. Or would it?

Beaver Driver
10th May 2001, 21:14
Rat D3G
Two things. First their union has not yet requested ALPA/IFALPA mutual support. And, Atlas is still an at will company as we have no contract yet. The company can fire us for ANY reason. One would assume that not flying when you were told to would be a good enough reason. Once we get a contract If mutual assistance is requested you can be sure that we will respond.

[This message has been edited by Beaver Driver (edited 10 May 2001).]

BUSDRVR
11th May 2001, 05:32
All you Atlas mainline and AACS pilots better get up to speed on the industrial relations front. Read the book, confessions of a union buster by Marty Levit. note the similarities.

A captain I flew with long ago told me "All the crooks are in the Aviation or oil business" he is right.

THe actions of the company are not anew. it is the same old card trick. why do they use the same one? because it is effective, unless the pilot group has solidarity! First they divied, then they conquer!

Zoner
12th May 2001, 00:37
It's official, 105 furloughed today. More to come.