PDA

View Full Version : ppl confuser

newbie008
23rd Jul 2006, 12:15
Is this book a substitute for the student pack you can buy for £200 or whatever they charge you, or is it meant to be used alongside the packs you can buy from the training schools??

wnjmurphy
23rd Jul 2006, 12:59
A substitute, no. You will still have to buy the study pack, though the confuser is a useful addition in my opinion to anything else you have. Read the books, do the examples, go through the confuser questions and your well away.

Mercenary Pilot
23rd Jul 2006, 13:00
Definitely NOT a substitute! Use it for exam prep after studying the books, it’s very good for this purpose but it doesn’t teach you the subjects.
:ok:

EchoMike
23rd Jul 2006, 16:42
The confuser is aptly named . . .

There are also occasional typographical errors (I seem to recall one in lat/long, and one in specific gravity) so if you don't get the *exact* answer they do, don't be overly upset. It is more important that you inderstand what concepts they are trying to get you to learn than to correctly answer some of the seemingly contrived questions in the book.

It is an adjunct to your course, but it is in no way a substitute. Don't be afraid to ask questions and ask for explanations, too.

Best Regards,

Echo Mike

newbie008
23rd Jul 2006, 16:54
thanks for the advice. This is the first time ive actually looked in this part of the forum and the threads on fatal crashes have scared the sh*t out of me!! Im actually reconsidering whether or not i do my ppl now.

Papa Charlie
23rd Jul 2006, 17:20
thanks for the advice. This is the first time Ive actually looked in this part of the forum and the threads on fatal crashes have scared the sh*t out of me!! I'm actually reconsidering whether or not i do my ppl now.
Do you drive a car? There are many deaths on the roads every day but we still drive cars, don't we .......?
Most road deaths are never reported (well not in the national media), but planes, boats, anything-out-of-the-ordinary are reported.
Don't let these incidents stop you from achieving your dreams - otherwise none of us would venture out of bed every morning with the worry that we are not going to see the end of the day!
Just enjoy it and listen to your instructor regarding how to fly safely.
:ok:

tmmorris
23rd Jul 2006, 18:45
Quite right, Papa Charlie - don't worry overly, newbie008. There was a thread on here a while ago about the relative risk and although flying came out more dangerous than driving, it's only about the same as owning a motorcycle - not generally regarded as suicidal, though definitely a higher risk than staying at home.

Tim

EchoMike
24th Jul 2006, 13:27
Go out there and do it.

If you never do anything that has even the slightest degree of risk, either real or imagined, you'll never do anything. When you are 108 years old and say "Gee, I wish I'd done X when I was younger." then it is too late, and you can't go back.

Papa Charlie is correct - airplane incidents are "news" because they are unusual - a Piper Cub knocks over a runway light and the media screams "Another Airplane Disaster!!!!!" yet in the US (for instance) almost 600 people a week are killed, not just hurt, killed in auto accidents - that's close to 100 a day - and you don't read about that . . .

Do it while you can - you will never regret it. Fear comes from lack of information, knowledge is your co-pilot and the more you know the safer you are.

Get a couple of hours training and you'll see it isn't nearly as dangerous as the media would have us believe - remember, they want to sell newspapers, what really happened is irrelevant.

Best Regards,

Echo Mike (FAA Advanced Ground School Instructor, FAA Aviation Safety Counselor)