PDA

View Full Version : Intensive PPL Courses - what if you run out of time?

Seagull61
21st Jul 2006, 20:29
Hi,

Due to various reasons I am going to the states in September to complete my PPL course. I`ve read a lot of posts about this suubject, but my query is, if due to weather, a/c going tech, availability of instructors etc I am not able to complete the GST in time would I be able to come back to a UK school and simply complete it there - obviously after some sign off of my logbook hours and their validity from the UK? I`m planning on getting it all done, but I couldn`t stay in the US for more the 4 weeks for work reasons etc..........don`t wanna come home PPL-less and jobless!!

Any ideas???

Mercenary Pilot
21st Jul 2006, 21:50
Do the ground exams before you go, dont mess about in the states with studying. If you dont finish, get your logbook signed up when you leave and then finish it in the UK. Won't be a problem, if it is...go to a more helpful school .

whiskeytangofoxtrot
22nd Jul 2006, 05:21
Is it a FAA (US) or JAA (european) PPL course? That difference will be significant I think. I would guess (ie, not sure) having a half-finished american PPL course would be harder or impossible to take into account if you have to finish it in an european country for a JAR-PPL.

Perhaps someone else knows more about the issue?

Seagull61
22nd Jul 2006, 08:12
Hi

The course I`m doing is a JAR PPL. I am planning on completing the course, but a few posts i`ve read raised the concern in my head that there is a slim chance I may not be able to complete in time.

Obviously taking the exams beforehand is wise, but I`m not in that fortunate position whilst living here in Norway don't speak the lingo.

If I came back without completing I kinda hoped that I could just perhaps spend a week in the UK with a good school and get it then.

Just trying to cover my bases.

cal368
22nd Jul 2006, 09:23
For what it's worth, I did my FAA PPL in the states a few years ago. I was out there for six weeks but managed to get it done in three weeks flat. But get the ground school out of the way first. I didn't and it meant the first week I was there I spent every non flying minute awake with my head in a book. The only problem I can recall at the time was I could only get one slot with an examiner close to the airfield so it was a wee bit of pressure to pass first time. I'm sure you'll be fine.

Paris Dakar
22nd Jul 2006, 13:46
Seagull61,

Out of the list of obstacles you identified in your initial posting - I would imagine that the weather will be the only one that could hinder your plans.

If your intensive course is three weeks, and you are adding an additional week for contingency, then my guess is that you will be fine.

My PPL was done 11 years ago (when the minimum number of hours required was 40) and I added an extra week just to be on the safe side. My flying was completed in 14 consecutive days and I fitted my exams in as I went along.

Don't forget that the days are long and you will fly two or three times a day - every day. 07.00 flights can be common, so that means out of your bed by 05.45ish if you are walking to the airfield.

Good Luck - and if you have any queries please PM me and I'll help in whatever way I can.

PD

bigmac69
22nd Jul 2006, 16:10
I recently returned from the states after completing my PPL. As you intend on doing, i also stayed for four weeks. I assume you are talking about Florida?

With it being storm season there now, you will undoubtably lose some time due to weather. However i managed to finish the whole course in four weeks, and towards the end, i knew the weather was going to be bad for the w/end, and as i only had the skills test to do, went away for a night. Over the whole four weeks we lost about four days to naff weather.

I would not recommend only allowing three weeks at this time of year,(some guys where going back disappointed, or having to book new flights...expensive!). But four weeks should be plenty....and some...probably. And yeah, if by some bizaare act of God you don't, then you can complete back home as long as you are doing JAR PPL, which you have already said you are.

You will definately have a more sociable time if you do the exams before you go, but they are really not too much of an issue if you are prepared to get your head in the books every night, i managed to crack the first 6 off in 8 days, and deliberately left nav till later, and i am by no means a brain box!

All the best.......Have a great time ;)

Seagull61
22nd Jul 2006, 16:37
Thanks all for the advice.

I`m doing a 4 week course, but have 10hrs at the moment logged and hope for more before the time I leave. As for the exams, I`m hoping to knock a couple off before I go, on my next trip back to blightly.

I`m heading to AAA in San Diego and was concerned when I read a blog from somone who didn`t complete due to various reasons. May have been a one off case , as I`m had PM`s from other people who didnt` have the same trouble.

...but it begged the question.

LH2
23rd Jul 2006, 14:37
Sorry if I sound a bit repetitive, as I've mentioned this a couple times already, but there is the possibility of doing your JAR-FCL PPL with at least one UK registered facility in Spain (Google Fly-in-Spain), possibly there are others as well. Cost is about the same as in the U.S. and you don't need to put up with the Yank Immigration Service being all paranoid about giving you a visa, expensive air tickets, etc.

If you can't finish it in three weeks or whatever time you've alloted for it, you could take the Ryanair back to Jerez on Fridays and finish it over a couple weekends.

btw, this is mostly for the benefit of others considering doing the same, I know Seagull is probably booked in San Diego already.

/LH2

acuba 290
23rd Jul 2006, 15:46
I've done my PPL there at Fly-In-Spain in 4x weeks, but actually it took only 18x !!! flying days (because of weather);) Very good school, nice locations to fly, very good place to learn

the_daddy
24th Jul 2006, 10:40
Seagull61....

I just PM'd you with some info on this...

I've posted about AAA before and it got removed, hence the private message.

Nothing to worry about though, if you don't finish, just get your log book signed/stamped and head on home.

bladewashout
24th Jul 2006, 10:46
I did about half the course in US, didn't get a license and transferred back home.

It's no problem but I would recommend that you get a complete copy of all your training records, instructor comments and notes for each lesson so that you can use them for the new training company and to get your hours verified when you get your license.

And expect the UK training company to want a couple of lessons to get you up to speed when you get back and they can recommend you for a test!

BW

gcolyer
24th Jul 2006, 11:38
I done my PPL in Florida in 21 days. Well 17.5 to be precise as I lost 3 days due to weather and 1.5 days dues to christmas.

I took exam before i went to florida and studied ready for another. I sat the Met exam and took my skills test the morning I was due to go home.

Best advice is to do all the study and exams before you go and prepare for long days and nights.

If you don't get the study and exams done before you go, then use any time on the ground especialy bad weatehr days to study. Also aim to do at least 2 exams a week for the first two weeks.