PDA

View Full Version : Grass strip flying - where do I start?

mazzy1026
21st Jul 2006, 12:04
Right then.....

My scenario:

Completed my training at Liverpool in a PA38 (£100+ per hour) and I live in Ormskirk. I want to try out some farm strip flying, perhaps in a tailwheel (or something cheaper than renting from a school) and experience flying at it's best.

I know of Barton, which I believe to be an excellent place (and I know of a nice chap there who runs a good group) however I am keeping an open mind. I know there isn't exactly a million airfields in the North West, so I am open to suggestions...

Ideal situation is to be involved in a well run friendly group, which won't break the bank and is situated somewhere nice/nearby if possible.

I think that my main point is that I want to experience the joy and freedom of flying (I.e not having a large commercial airport as my only base) and don't really know where to start!

Thanks in advance,

Lee
:ok:

possel
21st Jul 2006, 12:13
Right then.....

My scenario:

Completed my training at Liverpool in a PA38 (£100+ per hour) and I live in Ormskirk. I want to try out some farm strip flying, perhaps in a tailwheel (or something cheaper than renting from a school) and experience flying at it's best.

I know of Barton, which I believe to be an excellent place (and I know of a nice chap there who runs a good group) however I am keeping an open mind. I know there isn't exactly a million airfields in the North West, so I am open to suggestions...

Ideal situation is to be involved in a well run friendly group, which won't break the bank and is situated somewhere nice/nearby if possible.

I think that my main point is that I want to experience the joy and freedom of flying (I.e not having a large commercial airport as my only base) and don't really know where to start!

Thanks in advance,

Lee

Lee

Your problem will be that most tailwheel groups will not want a new member without tailwheel experience - too risky! I was lucky and joined a group with a tri-gear aircraft operating off a strip. Now, ages later, I am doing some tailwheel training. You are more likely to find a group with a Cessna/PA28 etc who will take you on.

Good luck

mazzy1026
21st Jul 2006, 12:15
Thanks pos - I see your point actually, I am very much open to tri-gear also. I think the main idea was the grass strip (I.e. the atmosphere and surroundings) not necessarily the aircraft :ok:

Rod1
21st Jul 2006, 12:24
Contact Mike Edwards at Barton. He runs a very good group which has a 172 and a Citabria TW. It is a first class group and low hours will probably not be a problem.

Rod1

mazzy1026
21st Jul 2006, 12:28
Cheers Rod - I have been in touch with Mike, and so far I am considering this group......

robin
21st Jul 2006, 13:07
Why don't you try contacting the local PFA strut. They may be able to help and advise - or event take you to one or two

http://www.pfa.org.uk/struts.asp

Mariner9
21st Jul 2006, 13:12
Mazzy, will be grass stripping in your vicinity saturday and have a free seat, check your pm's :ok:

High Wing Drifter
21st Jul 2006, 14:21
Your problem will be that most tailwheel groups will not want a new member without tailwheel experience
I suppose the exception proves the rule, but I bought into my group before I had completed the conversion. I think it depends on what type, a benign Cub or a demanding Auster?

mazzy1026
21st Jul 2006, 14:26
I think it depends on what type, a benign Cub or a demanding Auster?
Good question! Don't really know to be honest - I have seen the Citabria, which is very nice, so something similar I suppose. :ok:

bingoboy
21st Jul 2006, 18:50
Mazzy, what about the microlight club at Ince, very near to Ormskirk and you can't beat the 3 axis ones for farmstrip size fields.

mazzy1026
21st Jul 2006, 23:08
Bingo - I have thought a bit about this also. I don't know a lot about microlighting, so will have to do some research into it. May even take a trip down there.

Anyone know anything about Ince Blundell, like the aircraft they fly?

magpienja
22nd Jul 2006, 14:43
Hi mazzy I fly from there you will find weightshift micros lots of fixed wing micros a very few g/a types, the school has a very nice ikarus C42 fixed wing as well as two new GT450 weightshifts which are all available for hire, go and take a look around, they are a very friendly bunch just tell one of the instructors what you are doing I think you will be pleasantly surprised

Nick Axworthy.

http://www.wlms.co.uk/ibfc.htm

The above is there web site.