PDA

View Full Version : Tailwheel conversion training?

Andy_RR
21st Jul 2006, 11:49
I'm currently stuck in India on business at the moment, but will return to the UK for 2 weeks in late August. Whilst I'm back I'd like to do a tailwheel conversion, but where?

I've seen the Clacton Aero Club mentioned, and also spoken about it briefly to a guy (I can't remember his name, unfortunately) from White Waltham (WLAC?) who flew a PA-18 into EGBT when I was there last.

From the websites, the CAC 5/8hour courses look like good value for money, compared to the current WLAC prices. Can anyone recommend these courses, or possibly a better way to do it?

I'm about 70TT in C152's and PA-28's but my heart is set on flying tailwheel aircraft (RV-8's) so I think sooner rather than later is a good thing. A full-time course appeals too, as my time in the UK will be largely dedicated to things aviation.

Any info and tips appreciated.

Thanks,

A

Three Blades
21st Jul 2006, 11:57
Try the Tiger Club at headcorn:

www.tigerclub.co.uk

possel
21st Jul 2006, 12:02
Try the Tiger Club at headcorn:

www.tigerclub.co.uk (http://www.tigerclub.co.uk)

seconded - free instruction, free landings

gaxan
21st Jul 2006, 12:02
Henlow Flying Club have a Chippie and Tiger. Call Joe Wright on 01462 851936

Andy_RR
21st Jul 2006, 14:12
Is that a 'not recommended' for Clacton then?

Headcorn is an interesting option. It sounds like a good place to get a check-out in a Tiger Moth too! Are they all radio-equipped aircraft? I have a nasty caveat on my licence due CVD

Can a PA-18-95 haul 100kg of me plus an instructor into the air? Legally?

Thanks,

A

OpenCirrus619
21st Jul 2006, 15:07
Can a PA-18-95 haul 100kg of me plus an instructor into the air? Legally?

http://www.tigerclub.co.uk/G-bbyb.gif
If you're talking G-BBYB (http://www.tigerclub.co.uk/gbbyb.html) the answer is YES.

OC619

Lister Noble
21st Jul 2006, 15:09
I'm booked into Clacton for the 8 hr farmstrip course in August,main reason is I've joined a Cub group and Clacton use a Super Cub,albeit with more power but similar characterstics to the L4.
I am given to understand that Clacton are very professional,and were highly recommended (how many m's and c's?);)
Lister:)

Andy_RR
21st Jul 2006, 15:49
Hmmm... It's all too hard to choose! :} G-BBYB looks beautiful there and the chance of logging a few hours in a Tiger is hard to pass up.

But the CAC course still has me tempted too. I'm assuming a solid, structured course which can whip me into shape. Maybe I'll see you there in August, Lister?

A

Martin @ EGLK
21st Jul 2006, 16:54
I spent a week with the Tiger Club about a month ago doing exactly what your looking to do.

And I thoroughly recomend it. In fact, I'm going back next weekend to do some more flying in the Cub & Moth (between aero's on the CAP-10).

The only issue is that it's a members club with no full time FI's. They'll find some for you but it might not be as structured as CAC.

You also have to make the hard choice of how to continue. To train to solo the Moth or aero's in the CAP. But what a choice!

ps. All have radios. Even the Moth.

Say again s l o w l y
21st Jul 2006, 18:25
There is nothing wrong with Clacton at all, but I would go to the Tiger Club personally.

They are easily one of the best GA organisations in the UK and when it comes to tail draggers I don't think there is anyone to touch them.