PDA

View Full Version : Becoming an ATPL ground instructor

ecosystem_repair_man
19th Jul 2006, 20:08
Recently started my CPL but unfortunately had to pull out due to a major financial `reality check.' While feeling a bit crap about this, a friend of mine suggested becoming an ATPL ground instructor - that way I could keep my foot in the aviation door and perhaps pick up the CPL at a later date. The same friend also told me that to become one of the above, you don't necessarily have to have loads of airline/flight crew experience. This is important, as I have loads of teaching experience (10 years teaching science-based subjects in higher education) but obviously very little flying experience. The questions I would ask therefore are:

1. What are the job opportunities and rates of pay like?
2. Is what my friend says about experience correct?

Thanks in advance for any help on this subject.

E_R_M

Capt Pit Bull
19th Jul 2006, 20:55
Most groundschool instructors have significant experience in the aviation field. Not always as pilots (although some do) but as other aircrew or engineering related trades.

You wouldn't be on a particularly strong wicket without some depth of aviation related knowledge to fall back on, although it is not a necessity. I did that for several years during the early 90's with a engineering degree to offer as the basis for teaching electrics, but I was already working at the school in question as an AFI so I was a known commodity

Its a bit of an assortment of lost medical folks, mostly fairly aged, and often ex service, with the odd youngster thrown in.

Regarding your conventional teaching background - its a very different kettle of fish. The pupils are highly motivated so a lot of the normal workload associated with keeping them on task is reduced or absent altogether. But bear in mind you may have extremely experienced pilots, either foreign licence conversions or ex-miltary chaps who will expect you to have deep knowledge. For the less experienced students, giving them a useful education as well as teaching them to jump the exam hoops is the mark of the expert.

Offering several subjects will help, many guys are 1 or 2 trick ponies.

Pay? Can be reasonable. I'm a bit away from it now, but in '96 I was on 24K. I understand OAT pay about 32K now. As for other schools, I can't say, but I would imagine there is a wide range at the bottom end.

Job opportunities? Theres a bit around at the moment, but probably more schools offerring the training than is long term sustainable. But you also have an aged workforce so there is a need. But its very niche. I don't know, but maybe 50 guys in the whole country?

It was remarked to me recently that recruiting ground instructors is difficult. Quite a few applicant, but weak.

I hope that helps a bit. Where did you do your groundschool? Frankly its a who you know situation.

CPB

RVR800
20th Jul 2006, 08:32
From my understanding of this CPBs has hit the nail on the head......

ecosystem_repair_man
20th Jul 2006, 09:52
CPB,

Thanks for this - did my groundschool at Bristol (who were excellent) and I have some contacts at BCFT. I also noticed a recent OAT job ad that stated "...Experience as flight crew is desirable but not essential." It also went on to say that they were seeking qualified JAA theory instructors. Not quite sure what this means - would have to obtain a qualification over and above my generic teaching certificate?

Thanks,

E_R_M

Capt Pit Bull
21st Jul 2006, 07:54
ERM

Although flight crew experience is not necessary, they will probably be looking for something aviation related.

e.g. some folks I have known, active as ground school instructors at varous points:

ex RAF Engineer.
Engineer with a lot of time at Airbus on systems design and testing.
21 year old Aero Eng graduate.
mid twenties Aero Eng with a few years at Westlands under his belt.

(we advertised in national papers for the last 2, IIRC in the Times employment section, rather than Flight, in despair at the quality and availability of the people answering our ads in flight.)

If you rummage around the various schols websites, some have profiles of their intructors. (I discovered this whilst trying to track down an old work colleague.)

What subjects did you teach? You might have a possible in there, as I know some schools also run Maths / Physics courses to sort out folks before they begin the course proper. Might give you an angle.

You need to be able to demonstrate clear well structured lessons, deep enough knowledge level to cope a little bit deeper than the sylabus. You will probably end up with a much more didactic teaching style than you would use in a school. you can (a) get away with it, because the students are very motivated and (b) it is necessary due to time pressure to shoehorn the material into the contact time.

Regarding the JAA qualification, I can't help you with that. Haven't been involved with GS for a while, when I was there was only an approval system for CAP 509 (full approved ab initio) courses which involved being observed by the CAA, but for exempt training (most students) there was no requirement for any qualification on the part of the instructor.

Best contact the CAA or one of your contacts and ask them.

PM coming your way as well.

pb

Whopity
22nd Jul 2006, 10:05
JAR-FCL 1.055
CHIEF GROUND INSTRUCTOR (CGI)
19 The CGI shall be responsible for the supervision of all ground instructors and for the standardisation of all theoretical knowledge instruction. The CGI shall have a practical background in aviation and have undergone a course of training in instructional techniques or have had extensive previous experience in giving theoretical knowledge instruction.

THEORETICAL KNOWLEDGE INSTRUCTORS
20 Theoretical Knowledge Instructors in licence and ratings examination subjects shall have appropriate experience in aviation and shall, before appointment, give proof of their competency by giving a test lecture based on material they have developed for the subjects they are to teach.
You have to convince the CGI to employ you, and the CGI has to convince the CAA that you have adequate experience and competence to be acceptable. Don't forget you also need credibility with your students.