PDA

View Full Version : 90 different French / first trip in home built.

Rod1
19th Jul 2006, 09:49
90 different French airfields in 12 years and first trip in home built.

Last week I visited 6 new French airfields and got my total up to 90! All the airfields have been visited VFR and this year I had my self built MCR01 for the first time, which performed very well.

We covered 1600nm at an average speed wheals to wheals of 121kn. Average fuel consumption was 18.5 lph and typical cruse was 128kn. Max straight and level achieved was 148kn and typical rate of climb 2 up at MTOW in hot conditions was 900fpm.

My total fuel cost was £250 against £900 if I had been in my old 180hp AA5B. You really do not need to spend a fortune on running costs to do serious touring and the new breed of VLA class aircraft make superb mounts for serious trips two up.

Rod1

davidatter708
19th Jul 2006, 16:57
dont you mean a dynaero banbi

Confabulous
19th Jul 2006, 20:47
The technical model name is an MCR-01, call it what you like! :E Thanks for the info Rod, very impressive performance for a microlight. Are you using the Rotax 912 or 912S?

How long did the build take? How difficult was it to build?

Rod1
20th Jul 2006, 07:51
She is an MCR01 club with a Rotax 912uls – 490kg MTOW so falls into the VLA cat.

Three years three months from kit arrival to first flight. About 1800 hours excluding paint which I subbed out. The construction was not too bad, but the wiring was a steep learning curve.

With 800 hours, mostly on c of a types, the handling and performance are like comparing a Ford Anglia with a Lotus Elise. I think we will see a migration from the old dinosaur spam cans to the modern VLA’s, which will have an interesting impact on second hand values. My old AA5B, which I sold shares in three years ago and left two years ago is now up for sale, so I got out just in time. The cost of fuel and maintenance is vast in comparison to the MCR.

Rod1