PDA

View Full Version : Frederick Valentich

muddergoose
19th Jul 2006, 00:34
Does anyone know what happened to Flight Service recordings of the Valentich radio tranmissions? Would anyone have a copy they could pass on to me?

Duck Pilot
19th Jul 2006, 01:23
Was that the pilot who went missing in Bass Strait many years ago,after reporting to the FSU that he saw UFOs ? Very sad and interesting story.

B772
19th Jul 2006, 05:06
Does anyone know what happened to Flight Service recordings of the Valentich radio tranmissions? Would anyone have a copy they could pass on to me?

I remember reading years ago the file was closed and the tapes destroyed.

I doubt if there are any "copies" in existence.

jack red
19th Jul 2006, 05:23
You will find the original transcript HERE (http://ufologie.net/htm/valentich.htm) .

archangel7
19th Jul 2006, 06:47
http://members.ozemail.com.au/~vufors/valensum.htm

this one is a better read, these are the actual people who investigated the disappearance of Frederick....Paul Norman is a UFO investigator I met him once at Moorrabin Airport, very intelligent bloke and lots of stories to tell..

Natit
19th Jul 2006, 08:19
The electromagnetic effect from the UFO may have stalled his engine (since he did report the engine was rough-idling or "coughing") and caused him to crash into the water.

From the site archangel7 posted.

The engine "stalled". There ya have it folks :eek:

jack red
19th Jul 2006, 11:09
Yep......simple Natit .........the engine stalled folks :eek: ..............from the electromagnetic effect from the UFO ?

Bummer ain't it.:ugh:

Roger Standby
19th Jul 2006, 12:24
maybe he should have used a little more juice as he let the clutch out?:}

Traffic_Is_Er_Was
19th Jul 2006, 13:04
I remember as a young FSO in Melbourne listening to a cassette tape one of the Watch Super's had of Valentich's last transmissions. Who knows if that tape still exists.

Pass-A-Frozo
19th Jul 2006, 13:13
So did he sound like he was packing darkies?

Traffic_Is_Er_Was
19th Jul 2006, 22:29
From memory, and the tape wasn't that clear as he was fairly low and the transmissions were fairly short, he seemed to be confused. I've heard the stories that it was a stunt and he flew off to a new life etc, or that he got unsettled and disoriented by reflections from the Cape Otway lighthouse, so it's hard to say. I had conversations with the FSO on duty that night who was in comms with him and I think he was pretty certain he went into the water.
Maybe he's in a hangar in Roswell?

Dubya
19th Jul 2006, 23:30
I have a copy of the tapes..... I was an FSO

I do not know how to get the audio from the cassette into the computer. I could get my 9 year old son to show me how, but otherwise, does anyone have any ideas of how to do it..

.. and IMHO, he was ****ting bricks, and genuine about it, too.....

tinpis
19th Jul 2006, 23:40
Was that around the time the B & B Frightener went in?

Dubya be worthwhile copying that onto a disk.
Lots of places will do it for you.

Traffic_Is_Er_Was
20th Jul 2006, 00:31
Dubya: "I was an FSO"

In Melbourne, mid-eighties?

Deaf
20th Jul 2006, 00:40
"Was that around the time the B & B Frightener went in?"

Les Barnes went in 74/75 (engine failure couldn't stay up on one and a night ditching with fixed gear) the Valentinich business was a couple of years later. The were a lot of interesting stories at the time and I think the consensis was that he was in Bass Strait the question was "what about the a/c".

I never heard of any resolution of the landing/fuel theft/TO incident at Colac that evening.

Woomera
20th Jul 2006, 01:30
I recall the incident but can't find a report in the ATSB database. Anyone know the ATSB/BASI Occurrence Number?

There's also a B707 in Bass Strait as many will recall!

Sunny Woomera

gaunty
20th Jul 2006, 01:37
Wooms old chap, the B707 wasn't an extra terrestrial alien culture, it was a culture alien to the real world.:{

3 Holer
20th Jul 2006, 02:57
Steady on gaunty, the B727 was hot on the heals of the 707. You're not going to say anything derogatory about her are you?

Could only find the summary (http://en.wikisource.org/wiki/Aircraft_Accident_Investigation_Summary_Report_Ref._No._V116/783/1047) report W.

jumpuFOKKERjump
20th Jul 2006, 04:18
I have a copy of the tapes..... I was an FSO So was I, long after Fred's disappearance. It was a sort of initiation into ML FSC to hear it. Was especially poignant for me as I knew Fred (not particularly well, but we shared huts on camps a couple of times) from our time in AirTC. Regardless if it were real or not it was easy to hear he was sh1tting blue bricks.

Much as I'd like to hear it again Dubbya, be careful how you distribute the audio. Part of the initiation was to be told it was an illegal copy & I'm not sure what the consequences would be if you are sprung with it.

So how is Strobes getting on?

archangel7
20th Jul 2006, 06:51
To those of you who have heard the tape..... Did it sound legit? What was the tone of his voice like? In other words, does it sound believable?

I would love to hear the tape, I think we all would.... it should be available to the public... and why is it an illegal copy? What is the government trying to hide from us? Who cares? What’s the difference whether we hear it on tape or read it on paper?? I guess the tape revels a lot more…like the tone of his voice and the last transmission of the strange sound which was heard that interrupted the last statement of the pilot. If there is nothing to hide then why can’t we hear the tape? by hiding the tape the authorities can come up with a number of conclusions to the case, such as "he was disorientated" or confused with the light house and come up with another million other strange excuses... but, if we listen to the tape it is obvious enough that a UFO was the cause of the disappearance of Fred and the 182. Also, considering that during that period there where an outstanding amount of UFO sightings especially around the Port Phillip bay area.... and there have been witnesses who claim to have seen a Cessna chased by a cigar shaped object...I think the tape revels everything and the public deserves to know the truth...The tape should be available for the public to listen to especially for his family… or at least for accident investigations..How are we supposed to improve aviation safety in the GA if it is prohibited the see the hard evidence to a particular case so we can prevent its recurrence ??

disco_air
20th Jul 2006, 07:02
you tell 'em! :D

If you just look here....

http://www.lichtschwerter.de/neuralizer2.jpg

The lights you saw were swamp gas refracting light from Venus, you will ask no further questions.

...Disco :}

archangel7
20th Jul 2006, 07:10
Dubya.... I guess the best way to do it would be to use an audio recording program on your computer.... play the tape on a tape player and record it on your computer if you know what I mean...:)

Thanx, Archangel

archangel7
20th Jul 2006, 07:11
HAHAHA ROFLMAO @ disco_air

Pass-A-Frozo
20th Jul 2006, 07:36
Archangel:

I can neither confirm nor deny that the RAAF has no information relevant to this incident. :E

archangel7
20th Jul 2006, 08:19
The RAAF?
yeah right, good luck to the RAAF.... They are nothing special anyways... :cool:

Roger Standby
20th Jul 2006, 08:46
Archangel7,
I am happy to discuss with you what they told me. Just hang on 'til I get my foil hat on.sssshhhh! (http://www.discoverynet.com/~ajsnead/allsongs_1/x_files.html)

Pass-A-Frozo
20th Jul 2006, 09:15
The RAAF?
yeah right, good luck to the RAAF.... They are nothing special anyways... :cool:

Fine .. no Air Defence radar recordings for you :p

so who exactly in the gummint do you think is hiding something?? I know.. Workplace relations? :E

Woomera
20th Jul 2006, 09:15
I'm here............. :E

archangel7, be nice! Otherwise Frozo may do something naughty over your house in an F-18, F111 .. or something! :}

Sunny Woomera

archangel7
20th Jul 2006, 11:24
In an F111???? hahahahah

Yeah... he might drop a landing gear on my roof... so I better watch what I say huh? :ugh:

Led Zep
20th Jul 2006, 12:03
Dubya, you want this program
http://audacity.sourceforge.net/

archangel7
20th Jul 2006, 16:09
WOOMERA.....Where RU when needed????
"jsutapplhere"... :confused: are you seriouse? What is wrong with my post? I just want to hear the tape... that’s all! Nothing wacky about that mate! Maybe the wacky thing about this is that someone in 1979 claims to be chased by a UFO (which doesn’t have to be an aliencraft from another world....no one said that!) and disappears...its an interesting topic and we are all just stating the obvious and the evidence at hand...nothing much woomera can do about that I don’t think...An open general discussion!! otherwise we all might as well join a communist party and ignore the facts and forget about freedom of speech! which is what this site was Intended for in the first place...:ok: jsutapplhere people like you, are of the insecure type that are lining up like sheep to follow the media shepherd wherever it takes them and you call out for people like woomera to take over whenever people step out of line?"ohhh he shouldnt say that, it sounds too wacky"? To be perfectly honest, you sound like an idiot! I'm sorry Woomera but I find it ridiculous to see that there are people out there who don’t appreciate other peoples comments. Everyone has the right to an opinion!!!!!:ugh:

Roger Standby
20th Jul 2006, 16:51
I can see a wrist slapping coming on...:=

The Voice
20th Jul 2006, 23:09
The Valentich tape was played to FSO's on course in Henty House - to demonstrate how one should act when one was under the pump like the FSO was .. I was on one of the many courses in '89. I've also subsequently listened to it again since then.

The FSO outwardly, sounded cool calm and collected, the reverse could be said for Valentich.

Angel, yes, to answer your questions - it did sound legit and believable.

Having been on the other end of the maydays, I'd take a lot of convincing that the transmissions were anything else.

Having said that, there are of course, others with converse opinions.

As for the legality of the tapes .. remember that the original recording was on to the tapes that belonged to DCA/CAA/AsA and it's many other variants :ugh: , as such, any copy of those tapes would have, shall we say, not necessarily been kosher ... nothing sinister in that.

So Angel and PPL ... chill ...

Disco Stu
21st Jul 2006, 00:14
Deaf muses:

I never heard of any resolution of the landing/fuel theft/TO incident at Colac that evening.

Might also be the reason nothing is ever spoken about the Army Reserve excercise a couple of years later that spent some time looking in farm sheds around western Victoria. I understand they found all manner of interesting 'things' during that particular excercise.:mad:

I happened to be riding shotgun for a mate doing some Class 4 currency (now NVMC) in eastern Victoria that night and we listened to the whole thing, courtesy of frequency re-transmit.

1978, hell! that is nearly 30 years ago:eek:

Disco Stu

archangel7
21st Jul 2006, 06:30
Many people believe that UFOs are almost never reported by airplane pilots. Is this a fact?Has anyone one of you guys had to report a UFO? ...
I personally haven’t but I know of a work colleague who has experiences this. He tried to report it to ATC but before he had the chance he reckons there was a zap of light in the cockpit and he then lost all his electrics… I know he wasn’t talking crap because I saw the MR confirming they installed the new radios signed by the LAME and the Chief Pilot made him right an incident repot. And I asked the CP about this and he said it was true! Apparently it was a triangular shaped flying object just hovering above an area in Melbourne, for a few minutes and then just disappears at fantastic speeds! …. I personally believe that the prime suspect in the black triangle phenomena is the Aurora, the highly classified surveillance aircraft that according to the Pentagon does not exist. There were increasing numbers of reports of black triangles in the sky; triangles that could perform manoeuvres and achieve speeds that conventional aircraft couldn't match. I remember reading about it in the newspaper a while back that apparently in 1985 it was accidentally listed in the U.S. Department of Defences budget request for the following year (1986) listed under the heading of 'Air Breathing Reconnaissance'.

Possibly this is an unmanned aircraft which is capable of speeds in excess of Mach 6.....given the theory that this craft is powered by a new "pulse" type engine (or PED's - Pulsed Detonation Engines). I believe that the Aurora craft was designed to replace the aging SR-71 and F-117 aircraft used in top secret reconnaissance operations.

archangel7
21st Jul 2006, 06:39
http://www.dnw.aero/gallery/photogallery/LLFimages/elac.jpg

http://www.goldfm.org/antenne/aurora4.jpg

Arm out the window
21st Jul 2006, 07:00
Watch out for those black triangles - they can get you in trouble, particularly if you approach unauthorised!

amos2
21st Jul 2006, 09:51
Wot's that old expresion?...

"how can I soar with the eagles when I have to put up with with a bunch of turkeys on the ground?"

:{ :{

Grow up fellas'

archangel7
21st Jul 2006, 10:46
:mad: WHAT THE FKKK

I am fed up with the Random comments from people like amos2... I think you are the one that needs to grow up mate!.. I said it before and I’ll say it again, WE ARE JUST HAVING A GENERAL DISCUSSION... and amos2 if you have nothing to say which has nothing to do with the current topic please just stay out of it and keep your immature critisisms to your self... Why is it so hard to stick to the topic??? :ugh:

amos2, I ask you a random question then..The question is, are you soaring with eagles or pecking with turkeys? because by the looks of things, you are pecking with the turkeys..I believe that we were not created to fit in but to stand out. It takes attitude – speaks our mind.. And... if you want to discuss Great Aviation Quotes I would be more then happy to open up another thread regarding that focus.. I'm sure there is one already, otherwise stay out of FREDS thread

amos2
21st Jul 2006, 12:22
"FREDS thread"...

don't ya just love it! :p :p

muddergoose
22nd Jul 2006, 12:01
Dubya...I sent you an email. Did you get it?:8

Binoculars
22nd Jul 2006, 14:00
Archangel, perhaps you should look at your own posts before calling others idiots. Let me quote a couple of classics.....
by hiding the tape the authorities can come up with a number of conclusions to the case, such as "he was disorientated" or confused with the light house and come up with another million other strange excuses.
Disoriented or confused? Damn, but they sure are strange excuses, never heard in GA accident reports before. You've got me thinking now.
but, if we listen to the tape it is obvious enough that a UFO was the cause of the disappearance of Fred and the 182.

Now that you mention it, of course it is obvious; how could I have been so stupid? (hang on, you said you hadn't heard the tape? :confused: :confused: ) Never mind, your clinical and piercing analysis is fast convincing me that this has been a massive gummint conspiracy. Every ATS employee who has heard the tape is clearly a part of it. ****, wait a minute, I've heard the tape! Aaarrgghhh!!!!

Now as if I weren't feeling guilty enough already for my part in this matter, you land the killer blow....
Also, considering that during that period there where an outstanding amount of UFO sightings especially around the Port Phillip bay area.... and there have been witnesses who claim to have seen a Cessna chased by a cigar shaped object..

Oh no! Not the cigar shaped object!!!!!! And witnesses!!! :hmm:

When I was working in a FSU not a million miles away from the Torres Strait, a coastal surveillance pilot of a rather dramatic and self-important disposition (now an airline pilot somewhere in the world) burst into the FSU one morning after going off task with several semi-hysterical radio calls about mysterious objects surrounding his aircraft and diverting to our little airport. He related in a horrified voice the fear he felt blah blah blah. I told him to make a cup of coffee (mine's white and two thanks) and oddly enough, faced with a massive wall of indifference, not to mention thinly-disguised skepticism, the cup of coffee appeared to pacify him and he left without ever asking to use the phone to contact Canberra, Sixty Minutes, or the Chemtrail Society. Never said another word about it in fact.

Now, 25 years later, faced with your devastating and unanswerable critique, the repressed memories are coming back to me, and I'm not at all sure I'll be able to overcome the guilt at being part of this conspiracy. I'm going to have to be the first to break...oh god, I'm so sorry everybody...I have proven to be the weakest link..... now there is a knock at the door, both doors in fact, and loud voices and lights, and two objects, one saucer shaped and one cigar shaped, and oh dear, it's not looking goo

archangel7
22nd Jul 2006, 14:19
just read the following link....

http://members.ozemail.com.au/~vufors/valensum.htm

The Voice
22nd Jul 2006, 22:24
Welcome back Bino's .. :)

so, that is how you came to cross to the dark side :}

Angel, I believe that we were not created to fit in but to stand out buddy you're doing a good job there.

surfnsun
23rd Jul 2006, 12:36
Just to add my two bob's worth....

I joined the team in the ML FSC late '79. A copy of the tape was held in the centre for replay on the old Tandberg on the watch super's desk.

Evidently the content of the recording was analysed, but I understand nothing conclusive could be drawn from it

For those who know the FSO involved, a cool and professional operator.

I probably missed a reply to an earlier Q, but, anyone know how Strobes is??

archangel7
23rd Jul 2006, 20:55
Deos anyone have the tape?

I would love to hear it........PM me, if anyone has the tape

:O

Woomera
23rd Jul 2006, 21:40
archangel7. Chill out before you get sent to the cooler for a stint!

:mad:

archangel7
23rd Jul 2006, 21:47
HAHAHAH im sorry........Ok no tape for me lol

The Voice
23rd Jul 2006, 21:57
Angel .. why do you want to listen to the tape?

archangel7
24th Jul 2006, 00:23
Because...I want to hear Steve Robeys response to the situation and how he managed the peculiar radio call. I have been researching the case for a long time now and it is at my own interest to listen to that tape. I think it is important to hear the tape to because I'm sure it will answer some of my questions... like the tone of his voice... I think it would very interesting, I personally do not believe that Valentich was perpetrated a hoax or was disorientated... I think that listening to the tape could either prove me wrong or right... also the mysterious metallic sound that was recordedand which has never been satisfactorily explained even by the NASA scientists who analysed the tape. Not that I would have an answer, but like i said, it is at my own interest to study the tape to answer some questions because i have read books and articles on it and it would be interesting to compare what they say on the tape. I would like to come with my own conclusion...

archangel7
24th Jul 2006, 00:36
Also, this all happened before I was born.. So i think its only fair that I listen to it! heheh:}

tinpis
24th Jul 2006, 01:00
Archangel I can vouch for this guy :ok:

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y150/tinpis/timetravel.jpg

archangel7
24th Jul 2006, 01:19
HAHAHA ROFLMAO jeez thats funny :D

Binoculars
24th Jul 2006, 14:15
All DCA/DOT/DOTATG/DOA/CAA/ASA employees, we must now band together. We must put aside past enmities, we must forgive those who have transgressed under the interminable pressure combined with the grip of the hop or grape. Such irrelevancies must be cast aside and we must unite. This guy is on to us I tell you. Silence must be maintained, and eternal vigilance restored, for I have no need to tell you of the consequences should this story get out. Imagine if Ray Martin got hold of it?

UNITY ABOVE ALL!

The Voice
24th Jul 2006, 20:55
bwahahahaha .. what was that old saying?

Telegram, telephone, tell an FSO?

:oh:

separator
24th Jul 2006, 23:54
Binos,

You have said too much already.

The High Council will be calling you soon to "discuss" this with you.

Say farewell to your loved ones now.

sep

(HC Master-at Arms)

muddergoose
29th Jul 2006, 02:50
DUBYA,
If the tape you have is a cassette and not reel to reel:) connect the headphones socket into your sound card. There will be 1 of 3 sockets on this card that will do the job.
CLICK ON: START BUTTON
PROGRAMS
ACCESSORIES
ENTERTAINMENT
SOUND RECORDER.
This will record your tape and save it as a .WAV file. If anyone has already done this can you email the radio tranmission to [email protected]
How odd, it sounds as if most air traffic contollers have been initiated with these recordings but one suggests do be careful whose hands it ends up in. Where is the logic in that?
Archangel17 email me.

allcoded
14th Feb 2012, 20:02
I am opening this thread in the connection with the older thread from 2006 called "Frederick Valentich" that is located here:

http://www.pprune.org/dg-p-general-aviation-questions/235327-frederick-valentich.html

where "Muddergoose" requested for audio tape of Valentich's case, and "Dubya" replied that he has it. I am interested what has happened at the end - has anyone been able to convert the recording to digital?

If any help will be needed I will gladly help as I also have the equipment and can make all sorts of different formats if there will be need. I am also interested in the tape.

Best Wishes.

avidnonaviator
29th Sep 2013, 05:49
Hi Muddergoose,
Dubya is not going to respond to your request. I have contacted him, he claims to have the last 3 mins of the live tape. That's a real shame because it should be at least 7 mins long. So he can fly a plane but he can't get an entire conversation, and he can't transfer it to digital. That's got to be a bit of a worry. The tape I heard went for 14 minutes. At about 30 secs after 7:00pm Valentich said " Melbourne DSJ, Cape Otway proceeding for King Island." Then there is about 6 mins of other traffic and coms. Then at 7:06:14 Valentich says " Melbourne DSJ is there and known traffic below 5000ft?" His last words were at 7:12:28, where he said "Delta Sierra Juliet, Melbourne..." and he stopped mid sentence, and the unusual metallic sound began. That went for 17 seconds. Then the flight service officers discussed their appropriate response considering that the pilot reported engine trouble, so they went to 'alert' phase. :uhoh:
When I told DUBYA that he was missing most of the conversation he became very childish and said " what did you think, that he was having a discussion with the aliens or something?"
Forget about Dubya. ::ugh:
There is a new cable TV doco on this case, and it has the actual metallic sound from the original tape. It's been made by the Science Channel, and it's title is "The Unexplained Files". The Valentich story is the first story in the series, in episode one. Look for it on either youtube or find a torrent file for it. It is in hi definition. Enjoy. :)

By George
29th Sep 2013, 06:47
On October 24th 1978 I flew a Chieftain (VH-MBT) as part of the search for that aircraft. Unusually, we found nothing despite combing the area for hours. I've been in a few searches over my career and we always found something, however small.
When Dr Ian Tippett disappeared in a PN68 off Wilsons Prom we found an oil slick and a few seat covers. With young Fred Valentich, not a trace. Certainly a strange one.

dubbleyew eight
29th Sep 2013, 07:34
is it still true that there has never been a pilot survive a ditching into Bass Strait?

witwiw
29th Sep 2013, 11:04
is it still true that there has never been a pilot survive a ditching into Bass Strait?

No, not true.

One of two pilots survived a ditching on an Aero Commander (not sure of the year, mid 80's possibly) but was not able to be rescued despite being found floating alive by an AN F50. The rescue effort was an absolute shambles, a blight on the SAR arrangements at the time, and a bloke died where he shouldn't have. The ABC did a good doco on it called "Search without Rescue" - well worth a look.

TWT
29th Sep 2013, 11:20
vOmPRYPT8kQ

john_tullamarine
29th Sep 2013, 11:49
685 WJC 1983.

http://www.atsb.gov.au/media/24698/198302284.pdf

B772
29th Sep 2013, 14:52
witwiw.

The day/date was Sunday 17 July 1983. The AN aircraft was VH-FNO a F27-400. At one stage FNO with passengers onboard was operated at 300 ft AMSL.

You are correct about certain aspects of the rescue attempt being a shambles such as aircraft being requisitioned that were not suitable.

In hindsight the outcome may have been different if the Aero Commander had turned around and headed for the Tasmanian coast as suggested by ATC.

VH-XXX
30th Sep 2013, 00:46
About 20 years ago a chap left Latrobe Valley in his Thruster like aircraft for his destination of Yarram. This flight was obviously pre-GPS days and the conditions were 7/8, so the pilot found a hole and went VFR over the top.

He estimated the most suitable time to descend based on his usual speed of around 50 knots. He couldn't find a hole so searched around for a while and found one.

When he descended he was well and truly over the beginning of Bass Strait. He saw a small island nearby, headed for it and landed immediately. There was a very strong northerly on top of the clouds that he wasn't aware of. He had landed on Cliffy island and done some damage to his undercarriage so there was no way he could take off.

Through some sheer luck a nearby boat spotted him land and he was able to arrange a ride back and the later recovery of his aircraft by boat.

So there you have it, a successful near ditching in Bass Strait!

aroa
30th Sep 2013, 01:42
"Search Without Rescue" was funded by Dick Smith, I believe.
Its very sobering watching to see how brain dead bureaucrats can kill someone by following a "rule" book. Common sense to save a life is just not on !! Or allowing a SE helicopter to effect a quick rescue.:eek:

Wasn't the last time that SAR cock-ups prevailed either. A C 206 out of Mt Isa for Atherton got lost in the smoke, CNS, MBA ATH region, last light and beyond. The only thing available in those days for location was TVL radar. All they had to do was get him to climb and head SE and he would have been on the screen in less than 30 mins.:ok:
But no..we'll direct him to CNS by the strength of his voice /radio signals! NO VDF either, so due to his distance to/from CNS...OR the mountains, as the signal waxed and waned they never did get to bring them in.
AND to really make it cruel, he was flown around for 2 and a half hours before fuel exhaustion dropped them all into the drink or the jungle, never to be seen again. :mad:
ENOUGH time to go to TVL... AND back again.
Mega search after at a cost of mega millions, but nary a thing ever found.
Dont think a UFO involved in this one.!
See if you can get the transcript ...Never even a response to my requests.

And as for the windsurfer off Cape York for TI...and missed.
That wasnt the only 'bum steer' of that episode. :mad

VH-XXX
30th Sep 2013, 04:50
So it turns out that wreckage was possibly found 5 years later....

No Cookies | The Advertiser (http://m.adelaidenow.com.au/news/truth-was-out-there-after-all/story-e6frea6u-1226419389593)

dubbleyew eight
30th Sep 2013, 05:28
is it ever possible to get copies of the tapes of a loss in bass strait?

the incident I'm thinking of involved a 172 out of warnambool.
there has been so much bull**** discussion locally that I would just like to hear the tapes myself to get some inkling of the facts.

The pilot was Bill Bell in a 172 between Warnambool and King Island about 10 years ago.
he used to do my biennials. I wonder to this day what actually happened.

VH-XXX
30th Sep 2013, 05:50
http://www.pprune.org/pacific-general-aviation-questions/106736-cessna-ditching-off-victorian-coast.html

uncle8
30th Sep 2013, 12:17
W-8
I have met Bill Bell and was involved with him when he was ferrying from USA.
I was also involved with SAR when he disappeared and listened to the ATC recording of his Mayday message.
The Mayday call was made because of "engine failure" yet there was the loud roar of C172 engine at 2400 RPM in the background.
Bill had some deep personal problems which any of us might find hard to come to terms with. RIP Bill.

dubbleyew eight
30th Sep 2013, 12:55
does anyone know what the aircraft rego was. (the aircraft bill was flying)
I've heard that it was the sweetest 172 on the airfield and also that it was the oldest heap of crap in the area.
I wish people would stop telling me dribble.

not you ppruners. the guys telling me dribble are on my airfield.
Btw Trish still has not been able to dispose of bill's hangar because there was no body. 10 years now. heavens the mess these vanishings cause.

Fantome
30th Sep 2013, 15:06
ahem......with little encouragement I can talk drivel with the best of 'em

that's what the petticoat government says.......bless 'er

on the other hand the plumbing is still in A1 shape

(if you are not incontinent you might just be.....ALL AT SEA)

there as many books on UFOs that purport to tell the IV (no Virginia, we are not really talking about drips) story as there are hypotheses and wild flights of fancy as to who Harold Holt is shacked up with today

Fred's nickname was Ivan......before you make ridiculous assertion of obscurity

and speaking of Russians there is a pilot of Russian descent called George at Clamback and Hennessy who tells some exceeding droll yarns about RC , his unwonted swims and his scepticism about your average life-raft's serviceability

FROM WIKI -

History of Incidents - Aviation

The first aircraft to go missing in Bass Strait was a military Airco DH.9A that was engaged in a search for the missing schooner Amelia J in 1920 — it was believed to have gone into the sea off the southern coast of Flinders Island.

One of the first Bass Strait airliners, the de Havilland DH86 'Miss Hobart', went missing soon after entering service in 1934, only a small amount of wreckage being found on the Victorian coast. A year later, a similar aircraft was lost with all on board off Flinders Island.

During the Second World War, several aircraft — mostly RAAF Bristol Beaufort bombers — were lost during exercises in Bass Strait while on training flights out of air bases, mostly Sale, Victoria. These accidents were probably caused by the inexperienced crew crashing into the sea while performing low-level bombing practice — similar accidents occurred over land.

In 1972, a de Havilland Tiger Moth flown by Brenda Hean and Max Price went missing while on a flight from Tasmania to Canberra as part of protests against the flooding of Lake Pedder for a hydroelectricity scheme. It was believed to have crashed at sea somewhere between the East Coast and Flinders Island. Sabotage by pro-development interests was alleged.
The most famous incident, and the one that has been the inspiration for paranormal explanations, was the Valentich Disappearance in 1978.

^ Millwood, Scott (2008) Whatever happened to Brenda Hean? Crows Nest, NSW. Allen and Unwin. — based on the research into the documentary of the same name — has some material regarding the suspicions.

Broxam & Nash, Tasmanian Shipwrecks, Volumes I and II, Navarine Publishing, Canberra, 1998 and 2000,

Kevin Killey and Gary Lester, The Devil's Meridian, Lester-Townsend, 1980,

Macarthur Job, Air Crash, Volume One, Aerospace Publications, Canberra, 1991,

Jack Loney, Mysteries of the Bass Strait Triangle, Neptune Press, 1st ed. 1980.

By George
30th Sep 2013, 15:25
A Rockwell RC112 Commander (VH-MHW) ditched in the Bass Strait in the late seventies. The pilot was Glen Conrad, who was rescued, none the worse for wear, by a fishing boat. He went on to fly in South America in some 'interesting' operations and ended up in the Sudan flying for the U.N. He has written a book called, 'Walk a mile in my shoes'.
He also completed a few ferries from the US and is now retired. I keep in touch with him and recommend his book.

mansion
1st Oct 2013, 02:39
I met him on the Welshpool wharf after the rescue.. I had just flown down a photographer and journo from 'The Age' for the story... Had also flown MHW a few times too...

uncle8
1st Oct 2013, 03:16
George,
Thanks for the info. I've just downloaded the book and look forward to reading it.
I remember that ditching - there was no PPrune in those days, so the facts were hard to come by, but there were some stories. One was that the captain of the fishing boat was.....wait for it..........his brother in law!! Another was that he had written another aircraft off not long before the ditching.
Hope this part of his life is covered in the book and thanks again for bringing it up.

Fantome
2nd Oct 2013, 18:06
WALK A MILE IN MY SHOES - GLEN CONRAD

Book Description
Publication Date: January 20, 2003
After being set up by a CIA operative organization and arrested many times by the US Department of Treasury, Conrad pulls off one of the greatest known escapes from a war zone in battle-torn Zaire. Accepting death before defeat he repossesses his aircraft from President Mobutu Se Se and his Generals. Later, whilst setting up a food supply airlift to Bosnia Conrad became a prisoner in Russia. He was eventually documented and recognised by the US Government and the United Nations for his courage, persistence and character.

This is the story of one man's battle to achieve his goal of becoming a pilot with the Royal Australian Air Force in the 1970's and the subsequent journeys on which life took him...and he took life!*

This often-humorous autobiography travels time and distance, revealing a man whose efforts and successes are the direct merits of his personal courage and self-motivation. Conrad's escape from El Salvador is a gripping testament to his driving force and determination, personifying him in the minds of all that know him.

Eventually becoming the owner of two Lockheed C130 Hercules aircraft, Conrad rises to the top, working for agencies of the United States Government, repossessing aircraft from the Greek Air Force and flying famine relief for the United Nations. All is not well among factions of the CIA however, and Conrad is a marked man with the US State Department and many Divisions of the US Government eager to aid his demise.

This is an inspirational story of true personal achievement and courage under fire. Conrad is a man who is not afraid to perpetually strive for the keys to his destiny, challenge the future and give fate a helping hand when it is needed.*

This is his story.

*Show more

Editorial Reviews
About the Author
In an awful way, world hunger leads to broken sprits, malnutrition and death. On the other hand, the same problem gives to others the opportunity to do something concrete about it; to turn it into a way of healing and ultimately, inculcation of pride. The United Nations "World Food Program" is such an inspiration.

I know this because I spent four years seeing up close the atrocities of dictators and their self-interested military and non military leaderships. Dictators such as ex President Mobutu of Zaire held positions of power by way of force. Generals to these presidents, such as Baramoto of Zaire, Adid of Somalia and Taylor of Liberia , provide the administration for the force while the population provides the pathway for cheap cultivation of commercial goods to be sold on open markets ensuring the powerful their much needed luxury and the level of protection they desire. Such are the spoils of force.

I spent many days on many separate occasions in United States, African and Russian jails,
where I used the time to consider what I could do in response to the overwhelming power directed at me from horrendously dark corridors of US Government Departments and Intelligence Agencies. I gave long, hard thought to the deception and manoeuvers of the murderous dictators and generals who wanted me and my aircraft stopped from delivering food because this weakened their hold on the controlled civilian population. The generals mainly wanted the aircraft to move troops while it is alleged that some US Government agencies including the "NACA" (National Air Carriers Association) just wanted to assist their mate " Southern Air Transport", (S.A.T. was recreated from Air America). S.A.T.'s hope was that I would be arrested and my challenge to reduce the cost of airborne food delivery by military aircraft would be finished. The powerful could continue on as usual.

Make a difference. Stop the reign of bullies. Speak up when government's lie. Don't complacently accept that people should starve. That's the democratic thing to do.
As for me, I did what I set out to do. I survived. I found support from the US Department of State and the Department of Treasury and stayed out of jail, beat Southern Air Transport, airdropped thousands of tons of food and became an advisor to the United Nations.

My integrity restored, I moved back to Australia, my experience only detectable by a wry smile and a slight limp on cold crisp mornings.

By George
2nd Oct 2013, 23:43
Yes, that's Glen. He has led an interesting life. Some of us just fly from ILS to ILS and others do the adventure thing. The scariest thing I've ever seen are fat cabin crew and cold coffee. I fly freight now which is even more boring. Boring is good in this flying business. Being shot at or attacked by UFO's is best left to others.

training wheels
3rd Oct 2013, 01:09
Back to the VH-DSJ disappearance, other aircraft at the time also reported seeing something strange in the skies at the time. VH-DRB a C421 and VH-CKU a C401.

http://i41.tinypic.com/24b4s5x.jpg

zappalin
3rd Oct 2013, 02:07
At the other end of the country though.

Perhaps there was a meteorite(s) at the time, and overhead an aircraft would serve as adequate distraction to put someone in the drink.
Far-fetched, perhaps. But no more than the X-files explanation. A true mystery.

down3gr33ns
3rd Oct 2013, 03:09
Missing from Fantome's WIKI list is the Fuji that was lost between King Island and Cape Otway one Christmas Eve, bound for Melton. Early 70's.

Approaching last light so a decent search not possible until next morning. The pilot had passed up on an opportunity to stay overnight on King Is. as he wanted to be at home next morning with his kids.

Super Cecil
3rd Oct 2013, 03:35
Around the same time as Fred disappeared the were strange lights in the Tasman off the New Zealand coast. From a distant memory they were sighted from a military Orion, could have been an Oz one. I'm sure it would be documented somewhere. A vague recolection was they said the bright lights doing impossible speeds were a natural coud formation or some such.
Kaikoura UFO sightings never fully investigated | Stuff.co.nz (http://www.stuff.co.nz/marlborough-express/news/kaikoura/4499465/UFOs-were-all-natural)
Found it, was before Fred's loss.

training wheels
3rd Oct 2013, 04:30
Super Cecil, that event in New Zealand happened two months after Fred's disappearance. Here's a report of it with footage caught by the Australian reporter and camera crew.

lk7SmlRlUo8

Fantome
3rd Oct 2013, 08:45
Boring is good in this flying business. Being shot at or attacked by UFO's is best left to others.

so right there, By George.

(The late George Roberts, a lifelong Qantas engineer, wrote a fine little memoir of his life. He called it 'Qantas - By George' .. .. what else?)

OFOs . . . . . Bruce Cathie, a NZ airline pilot, wrote a number of books that documented many strange sighting in and around NZ, some from aircraft, others terrestrial.

From wiki -

Bruce Leonard Cathie (1930 – 2 June 2013) was a New Zealand airline pilot who wrote seven books related to flying saucers and a "World energy grid".
His central thesis was that the laws of mathematics describe a grid-like pattern on the earth that powers flying saucers and controls the dates and places where nuclear bombs can function. He claimed to have successfully predicted the detonation time of an early French nuclear test using his harmonic "mathematics", which is based around trigonometry and geophysical latitude/longitude coordinates.

His discoveries are in the same vein of research as Einstein's "unified field theory", where gravity, time and space and their relation therein can all be expressed in one equation It is claimed that the US military attempted on more than one occasion to silence him, offering bribes in the millions.

Cathie claimed that he first saw a flying saucer over the Manukau Harbour, Auckland in 1952 and in discussions with other airline pilots discovered this wasn't uncommon.

His first book Harmonic 33, was published in New Zealand in 1968 and reprinted in the United Kingdom by Sphere Books in 1980.
New Zealand millennial author Barry Smith claimed to have received his information on restrictions on nuclear weapons from Cathie.

An interview with him was played in the fourth episode of the fourth series of the US television program In Search of....

Cathie died in Takapuna in 2013.

training wheels
4th Oct 2013, 16:04
Apparently the National Archives has an online copy of the Australian Government file on Fred Valentich's disappearance. It has 317 pages in the file and includes reports from a number of government agencies including the Department of Transport, BASI (Bureau of Air Safety Investigation), Royal Australian Navy, RAAF and others.

I've only read the first 20 or so pages of the file so haven't had a chance to look at it in detail. Here's the link to the Government file on Valentich's disappearance, file number V116/783/1047 (http://recordsearch.naa.gov.au/scripts/Imagine.asp?B=10491375).

Below is a screen capture of one of the reports from the file, from the RAN Research Lab, on the wreckage found washed up on the coast of Flinders Island in 1983 which is believed to be a cowl flap from a Cessna C182.

http://i44.tinypic.com/2u9lwnt.jpg