PDA

View Full Version : Failure Insurance ....

FullyFlapped
17th Jul 2006, 13:50
Having had an engine problem a few days ago (and thanks to the North West airport involved for their prompt and excellent assistance), I'm now facing some substantial repair costs. Ho hum, life as an aircraft owner. However, it got me thinking about insurance coverage.

Does anyone know if there's any sort of scheme which would cover unexpected eventualities, as opposed to standard service, annual and overhaul/replacement costs ? I'm fairly sure the answer will be no, but it's worth the ask ... also reckon there'd be a fair number of people who'd be willing to pay substantial premiums in order to have peace of mind ... sounds like an opportunity for someone (What are all those Lloyds Names doing these days ? :D)

FF :ok:

Jodelman
17th Jul 2006, 16:57
Some years ago this type of cover was available although aimed at the turbine engine market, cover was available for piston engines.
I remember getting a quote for my 0-320 but didn't take it up as it was very expensive. The insurer concerned was Eagle Star Engineering Ltd who have since been taken over by Zurich Insurance.
Suggest you ask your friendly insurance broker to make a few enquiries for you.

tangovictor
17th Jul 2006, 23:54
i have yet to purchase an aircraft, although weighing up all the options I have decided, when I take the plunge, it will be powered by a rotax, should the very worse happen, ie throw a rod, a new engine, costs less than a service to an American engine,

smarthawke
18th Jul 2006, 07:27
Err, not really so. A Rotax 912 will actually cost about the same an outright purchase overhauled Lycoming. And the Lycoming will be good for many more hours whilst producing more power.