PDA

View Full Version : Light aircraft engine health monitoring

Fokkerwokker
16th Jul 2006, 04:43
Anyone able to point me to any reasonably priced systems (JAA/EASA approved) that are capable of monitoring simple parameters such as RPM, CHT,Oil Pressure, Oil Temp etc on club trainers fitted with Lycoming/Continental engines?

It would be necessary to have a 'controlled/authorised' reset system to prevent any tampering.

Any ideas out there?

Ta.

dirkdj
16th Jul 2006, 05:27
Get the JPI EDM700 or similar. It has data recording capability for all these parameters.All flights are recorded and can be viewed by date. Standard recording interval is 6 seconds but that can be changed if required.

I don't know if the fuelflow function will work properly on a carbureted engine. On injected engines it works really well.

IO540
16th Jul 2006, 06:45
The EDM700 will log engine temps (EGT,CHT), oil temp, RPM, bus voltage.

The EDM800 adds a flowmeter option.

I have the EDM700 and a Shadin flowmeter; really good instruments.

But these are not tamper proof. I used to rent it out (dry) for IR training and had two instructors fiddle the FOB figure, to make it look like it used less fuel. The timings cannot be fiddled however (short of a complete reset, or the old trick of flying with the master switch off) and you can always tell the flight duration from the temperature/time profile.

The fuel flow function should work on any engine; it uses a turbine flow transducer.

Fokkerwokker
17th Jul 2006, 15:10
Thanks for the 'heads up'.

Will follow up.

Many thanks:ok:

FW