PDA

View Full Version : Aerobatics with a bad back

coarse pitch
15th Jul 2006, 19:19
I'd like to try some aerobatics, but need to be careful with my back following a slipped disc last year. Specifically, I'd rather not experience too high g-forces.
I'm ok with the 2g in 60 degree turns, but don't really want to go much beyond this.
So what are typical loadings (say in a Bulldog) for various aerobatic manoeuvres, and is there fun to be had for less than 2g?

Shaggy Sheep Driver
15th Jul 2006, 19:28
I'd like to try some aerobatics, but need to be careful with my back following a slipped disc last year. Specifically, I'd rather not experience too high g-forces.
I'm ok with the 2g in 60 degree turns, but don't really want to go much beyond this.
So what are typical loadings (say in a Bulldog) for various aerobatic manoeuvres, and is there fun to be had for less than 2g?

Not loops, but aileron rolls should be OK (though not strictly an aeros manouvre, they are really 'cause you turn it upside down;) ). But beware the Barrell roll - almost no excessive G if done correctly, but quite a lot in the recovery if it goes a bit off (and they often do ;) ).

Otherwise, wingovers.

Flying aeros means pulling 'G'.

SSD

Zulu Alpha
15th Jul 2006, 23:35
I would sugest that you make sure you have your back well supported by a parachute and/or cushion. i suspecrt this is more important than the amount of G or specific manouvers.

I used to have back problems and found that getting everything supported was key to being comfortable and not hurting my back. Specifically I found that I had to pull my parachute (backpack) down to the base of my spine, otherwise my back was in agony within 10 mins.

kluge
16th Jul 2006, 08:02
Try negative g - it will 'stretch' your back out !!

You may want to ask the question on the medical thread. I would have thought that a slip disk wouldn;t be a problem - 4g for looping manouvers and not sustained. I find I need a lumbar support but that;s because of bad posture.

K

foxmoth
16th Jul 2006, 10:32
Minimum for loops etc. you are looking at 3-3.5g, otherwise as said, wingovers and rolls.:{