PDA

View Full Version : Pre PPL Decision nerves

biz_fish
14th Jul 2006, 23:10
I had a trial lesson a few months back and came back very excited about learning to fly. I then had a delay in learning due to work commitments but have just had another trial lesson this week.

My instructor asked me if I wanted to experience a steep banked turn, which he then did (very well I might add) which was fantastic.

However, (strangely) after we landed and I left, whilst I still felt a strong desire to lean to fly, I had that feeling that this was going to be an enormous challenge and I had second thoughts as to my ability to learn.

Maybe it was being shown a couple of clever manoevres made me realise just how daunting it all seems, I don't know.

Anyone else feel that uncertainty before starting?

Yours, looking for reassurance!
Thanks

B2N2
15th Jul 2006, 01:04
Start flying, it is a fantastic thing to do and just about as expensive as a drug habit..:eek:
It is challenging to learn, you'll be all hands and feet the first couple of hours.
Almost everybody is capable of learning how to fly.
Just some people are quicker at it then others, same thing as all other stuff you have to learn in life.
Everybody can learn how to paint or play an instrument, we'll just not turn out a Picasso or Mozart every time. Flying is the same thing.
I am not a "natural stick" by any means. A buddy of mine was, frustrating at the time.:ugh:
I am good at what I do now simply because of years of practice and hard work.
That is the beauty of aviation, you are never finished, there is always another rating to get or another airplane to fly.
Go for it !

Andy_RR
15th Jul 2006, 03:40
Anyone else feel that uncertainty before starting?

Yes, but ignore it. You will not regret learning to fly. Alternatively, you may eternally wonder what it would have been like.

Bahn-Jeaux
15th Jul 2006, 05:30
Start flying, it is a fantastic thing to do and just about as expensive as a drug habit..

I manage both but then aspirins are'nt that dear.
Go for it mate, you will never regret it.

aw8565
15th Jul 2006, 06:09
I agree with everything everyone else has said. I started AGES ago and have not flown for ages due to work (summer at Gatwick, how ironic) but can't wait to get back in the swing of things.

Whirlybird
15th Jul 2006, 06:19
biz_fish,

Actually, steep turns aren't that difficult. However, flying is indeed an enormous challenge. But I'm quite certain that it's one you can cope with. However, feeling daunted by it is perfectly natural. I deal with that sort of feeling by refusing to look at the whole thing. Just focus on the next step, the next lesson....and maybe just a little way ahead so that you can plan.

When I was struggling to learn to fly, I used to look at students further on in the course who were coming back from solo cross countries with something like awe. I simply couldn't believe I'd ever manage to fly well enough to be able to do that, alone. But of course I did.....and so will you. :ok:

foxmoth
15th Jul 2006, 08:19
Maybe it was being shown a couple of clever manoevres made me realise just how daunting it all seems,

Just remember that learning to fly is a bit like building a house, you start with the foundations then build brick by brick, steep turns are about half way up the (PPL) house and by the time you get to them you have a lot of foundation and "bricks" in place.:)

Cricket23
15th Jul 2006, 08:46
Agree with what's been said. If you don't do it, you'll forever be looking at light aircraft as they buzz over and wonder if that could be you.

As Whirlybird says steep turns are too difficult. Just go at your own pace, after all it's not a race, and enjoy the experience.

I'm sure you're have fun.

C23

biz_fish
15th Jul 2006, 09:53
Wow, what words of encouragement. Thanks to you all for your comments, Souns like my nervousness is normal.
Some said i would always be looking in the sky at aircraft and wondering- well i have been doing that for over 10 years already. Time i did something about it i think.

I am going for it!!

Paris Dakar
15th Jul 2006, 09:55
biz_fish,

GO FOR IT!

The structure of the PPL course allows you to build on your experiences and you may find that many parts of flying just slot into place. It is incredibly rewarding and above all - fun.

Ok it's not cheap but it needn't cost mega bucks either - there are a variety of aircraft to get yourself involved in.

Check out the 'spare seats' thread on PPRuNe and get yourself aloft with other folk whilst you are learning.

The only regret you may have is not doing it :ok:

(Edited to say our posts have crossed)

RudeNot2
15th Jul 2006, 11:19
Biz_Fish

Years ago as a teenager I had hoped to make a living from flying and then got caught in the IT trap... Previously I did a short gliding course which got cut short due to funds.. Now I am in the position to get through the PPL I started in January and have amassed almost 13 hours!! Between work and family life and weather there doesn't seem to be enough time - but after discussions with the other half I am going to take a couple of weeks later on in the year and basically camp out at the airfield.

I have passed three of the ground exams and am apparently almost ready for the first solo (God help everyone else!!).

Just remember that the work in the plane HAS to be accompanied by study at home / work. Keep the bookwork going in between flights and try to get the exams out of the way at a sensible rate.

After a 2 month lay-off from flying due to reasons mentioned above - but continuing study I found (as did my instructor) that things seem to have fallen into place for my understanding of doing what you do in the cockpit. Things came back really quickly and managed turns onto headings specified by my instructor during climbing and descending, slow flying etc.. Just need work on the landings!!!

Final words

GO FOR IT

You will not regret it... Forums such as PPrune etc serve to assist in the learning process - don't understand something - SHOUT!!

Take care and let everyone know how you progress.

Dave

biz_fish
15th Jul 2006, 22:01
Thanks again to everyone for words of encouragement.

I am going for it and will update as I get into it.

Cheers
biz_fish