PDA

View Full Version : Pros & Cons of BAFC vs WAC

biz_fish
14th Jul 2006, 10:09
Over the last 6 months I have had two 1 hour intro lessons, one at British Airways Flying Club and one at Wycombe Air Centre (both at Booker airfield). I now need to decide which to spend my hard earned cash on!

As a novice, how do I decide?
I have to say that both were very professional on the lesson. BAFC very efficient and BA-like. V Professional. WAC had slightly more leisure club feel to it, but the training itself was again excellent. Pricing seems similar in both clubs

Can anyone gove me some help deciding...

BAFC oir WAC?
PA28 or Cessna152 for training?

Thanks in advance for any help on this

Human Factor
14th Jul 2006, 10:58
There are a number of ex-airline (and current airline) guys at BAFC and no hours builders so you have people who actually want to instruct!! I must admit, I don't know the situation at WAC so well.

It may be worth a look at how WAC charge for their time, ie. whether or not it's on the Hobbs (engine hour) meter. BA charge for the time chock to chock rather than on the engine, which would most likely work out cheaper in the long run.

IMHO, the PA28 is a much better training aircraft than the 152 as well. There is a thread somewhere on here discussing that.

Genghis the Engineer
14th Jul 2006, 11:11
I operate from that airfield, and chat to the various pilots and instructors from time to time but don't fly with either of those organisations - so I hope I can be reasonably impartial.

So far as I can tell, both are thoroughly professional outfits, bound by the same local rules, and using similar quality aeroplanes.

There are many threads here and elsewhere about the relative merits of the Cessna and Piper products for training. Frankly, they're both very good at the job, and have produced many good pilots - the differences are basically personal preference.

So, if there's no significant difference in pricing, pick the aeroplane you like the view out of best, or are most likely to want to fly long-term.

Failing that, toss a coin - I doubt you'll make a bad decision at Booker.

G

biz_fish
14th Jul 2006, 11:32
Thanks, for replies. I think I enjoyed the PA28 experience best, although after only 1 hour in each it's really difficult to know. It somehow just seemed a little more solid and practical.

Thanks for comments regarding hours builders. I hadn't thought of that, but the motivation of the instructor is all important.

AerBabe
14th Jul 2006, 12:15
Which teaching style are you happier with? Do you want to fly commercially? Are you more interested in bumbling around on a Sunday afternoon? Do you thrive on being expected to follow rules and procedures or would you rather have more input in areas where it's flexible?

biz_fish
14th Jul 2006, 12:38
Hi Aerbabe,

Good questions and proved some thought.

I am a 40 yr old who has always had a passion for flying but this is the first point in my career taht I have had the money and the time to do it.

I have no desire to be a commercial pilot. It's about following a 20 year dream and actually doing it - the personal challenge! Part of the fun will be the training itself. After that I see myself as a leisure pilot - weekends and a few mid week jaunts.

I felt that the BA approach was as regimented as you would expect from an airline pilot, whereas as the WAC just seemed a little more leisurely and relaxed. But is it better to be trained the "proper" way and then relax a bit or is it overkill?

Genghis the Engineer
14th Jul 2006, 12:39
Hi Aerbabe,
I felt that the BA approach was as regimented as you would expect from an airline pilot, whereas as the WAC just seemed a little more leisurely and relaxed. But is it better to be trained the "proper" way and then relax a bit or is it overkill?

Airline and private flying are quite different in their approaches at times. If you aren't going for a commercial licence, I'd personally suggest going for what you found to be the more "clubby" approach.

G

AerBabe
14th Jul 2006, 14:46
As with any flying club, do not pay any money up front! If you do a few hours with one club and don't get on with them, you can always move. Do you have any military connection? Since you live around High Wycombe, you may be able to join an RAF club and save some money...

wsmempson
14th Jul 2006, 15:08
I learnt with BAFC and didn't try out WAC by way of comparison, however, I can't reccomend the folks at BAFC highly enough. I'm a similar profile to you and - although the training can seem quite regimented at times - the discipline that it brought to the way I fly has been invaluable.

Whoever you pick, latch on to the instructor you identify with the best and try to stick with him or her - consistancy of teaching was a huge help to me. IMHO Dick Thurbin is a terrific instructor - very 'common-sense' in his approach and has been there longer than god.....

In any event, enjoy the whole experience - I for one adored it.

biz_fish
14th Jul 2006, 15:41
Many thanks. A couple of good nuggets of info there. First, don't pay up front is good advice. It changes the risk for me as I was thinking I am going to make a £6-7k decision. If I pay as I go then changing is always an option.

Second, the discipline that it appears the BA club brings through having seasoned airline pilots among the instructors is probably a good discipling to learn.

Piltdown Man
16th Jul 2006, 00:11
I've flown at both (some time ago though!) and I believe that both places will give excellent instruction in appropriate aircraft. What you have to choose is which club are you happier in? Which is closer? Which has the better bar? Which has the best social events? Where is the best totty? Choose on the non-flying bits!

Best of luck!

PM
:)

Aussie Andy
17th Jul 2006, 16:00
I am also a happy customer at BAFC -- like you I am 40-ish (and the rest!) and have been very satisfied with the, umm, "maturity" of the BA instructors! ;) I have done my PPL and later IMC, and although I also rent elsewhere on occasion I continue to be a regular rental customer and think the aircraft are very well maintained.

Seriously though, I think both clubs are excellent and have high standards - I have a (younger) buddy who has just completed his PPL at WAC and is very satisfied.

I think Ghengis said it best - you can't go wrong with either. You'll only be dissappointed if headline price is your sole criteria as neither are "cheap" but pricing is at least transparent, no hidden costs...

Andy