PDA

View Full Version : First SOLO

AWYRCYMRY
12th Jul 2006, 20:29
Hello people this is my first topic i have started so your help means alot..

Im only 15 at the mo and i go solo on my Birthday:uhoh: :uhoh: :uhoh: (aug19) can you give me some reasurance or anything to make me less nervouse. Or some stories on what happened on your solo. Also i am not sure what happens, do they want me to do one TOUCH n GO or a full hours solo flying if anybody knows what they may do your info would be a great reasurance. if it means anything im doing my solo at CARDIFF INTERNATIONAL AIRPORT (EGFF), so i got all the things in the world to panic about like, ST ATHAN AB (Half mile away), the cliff at the end of the 30 approach (gives off loads of wind shear) and not forgeting the lack of stop bars on the ground. the other day a BMI pilot landed and reported that he lost 20KTS on approach, so yea that has worried me alot. Not only the flying worries me do i have to sit any ground exams before i go up like, AIRLAW, Nav&Met, Human fctrs & flight safety, Principles of flightETC ETC, and the radio writen exam.

Cheers :cool: ;) :cool: ;) :cool: :bored: :bored:

mcgoo
12th Jul 2006, 20:43
surely your instructor or school would be better placed to tell you about what they expect of you and what exams to take, usually the first solo is 1 circuit, have a search in the private flying section, i'm sure you will find more threads in there about first solo experiences etc

foxmoth
12th Jul 2006, 21:27
It depends on the school, but many require Air Law out of the way before 1st solo (not a legal requiement though) so I suggest you speak to your instructor about this.As mcgoo says, 1st Solo is normally one circuit, but some people who fly before their 16th birthday have gone well past the stage they would normally have gone first solo and can end up doing more, but this will only happen if your instructor is happy. This also applies to you actually doing your solo - if your instructor is not happy about the conditions and your ability to cope then he will not send you, even if it is your birthday (treat it as a good airmanship lesson if you do not get to do it). If he sends you then you can feel sure you are ready and you do not need to be worried that you are ready - just enjoy it - good luck.

172driver
12th Jul 2006, 21:58
First of all - GOOD ON 'YA, MATE !!! Going solo on your first 'legal' birthday is great, really, wish I had done it. I think the first solo is something every pilot will remember forever. It's a mix of exhilaration and anxiety (and some other feelings as well). All I can tell you is: fly the airplane, you are now PIC. Period. I did a go-around on my very first solo, the approach just wasn't right. Use what you've learned. As you'll be flying from a proper airport, tell the controller (I'm sure he/she knows anyawy, but still) that you're on the first solo if they ask you to do something very complicated. They will help you if needed.

'Nough said, go on and enjoy flying :ok:

Captainkarl
12th Jul 2006, 23:10
You will love it, and it will be your best ever landing! I did my 1st solo on my 16th birthday and I will never ever forget it :-D,good luck.

CK

AWYRCYMRY
12th Jul 2006, 23:12
Didnt expect the replys to be so fast but anyway thanks for the confidence boost and the support:cool: :cool: :cool:. KEEP the info coming>>>>>:)

Whirlybird
13th Jul 2006, 07:06
AWYRCYMRY,

I know how you feel. I had loads of worries before my first solo, like what checks did I have to do after my instructor got out, and would I have to make any special radio calls etc. Fear not! I assure you, your instructor will be at least as concerned that nothing should go wrong as you are. You will be well briefed, and told exactly what to do. I'd be surprised if it was more than one circuit, but you'll be told. If you need more exams than you've already got, I'm sure you'll have been told that too. If you KNOW you're due to go solo on your birthday, then you must be ready for it, but as someone else said, if the weather is unsuitable or anything else goes wrong; well, that's aviation for you. Have a chat with your instructor about all of this; he/she won't mind, honestly! He probably doesn't realise you're so worried.

After that.....enjoy! :ok:

flower
13th Jul 2006, 07:08
You won' be going on your first solo until you are actually ready to do so, your FI will decide.
As for what happens, you will more than likely be out with your FI doing circuit consolidation, you will land and the FI will request from ATC over the RT for the student to be able to do their first solo. The ATCO will in 98% of the cases approve this, there may be times due traffic when a first solo simply isn't appropriate.
The FI will vacate the aircraft leaving you at the hold with you doing your checks before talking to ATC and letting them know you are ready.
ATC will have in the mean time informed the Fire Service that a First solo is due in the circuit.
Upon being ready for departure you will be given your circuit instruction from ATC and at an appropriate time cleared for take off. You will do one circuit and land.
You may have a short delay at the hold as we plan it so that you do not have to orbit once airborne , so it is a quick up and down.

A couple of things concern me about your worries. First things first there are plenty of stop bars at Cardiff, but they are not generally operated during the day, situations which require the operation of stop bars generally preclude the likelihood of a VFR flight for a first circuit.
St Athan is 2 1/2 miles away from Cardiff and if you read the rules you will be aware that it isn't a concern to you provided you remain in the circuit.
Windshear over the threshold at Cardiff, I doubt very much that your FI would put you up for a first solo if the wind conditions were such that turbulence could be expected.

Go back and talk to your FI, get them as necessary to take you on a trip of Cardiff ATC and let them explain what happens. Most importantly do not be disappointed if you do not go solo on your Birthday, it is more important that you are ready rather than aim for a particular date.

AWYRCYMRY
13th Jul 2006, 08:04
Cheers FLOWER the last time i taxied up Bravo, Echo, Delta, Alpha & charlie i couldnt really make out the stop bars but i was probably concentrating more on what ATC clearance i was going to recieve;) . now and again there is a rapid loss of SPEED over the approach (not windshear my mistake:ugh: ) but i guess thats to be expected with wind at 270/10KTS + (its all experience). I know i posted it some where else BUT are you ATC at EGFF, if so make sure your working on my birthday:ok: :ok: :ok: ... thanks for the correction on the distance between EGFF & EGDX.

Cardiff academy of aviation------KICK ASS

CHEERS DUEDS

DeeCee
13th Jul 2006, 14:33
There is some excellent advice here, but one thing's for sure - you will remember your first solo for all your life! I remember that the plane lifted off much quicker than I expected (C152), because of the lack of one person's weight. My advice would be to fly the numbers exactly as you have been taught and it will be fine (and the time will go quicker than you expect). Have fun and let us know how it goes.

DeeCee

airsupremacy
13th Jul 2006, 21:12
Congrats!
it's a great feeling when you are going for your solo...and on your 16th bday! boy understand, all kinds of mixed feelings. Don't rush for it. Get set for it. One thing is certain though, after landing, you will tumble out of your aircraft with stars in your eyes. YOU HAVE BECOME A PILOT!

airbourne
13th Jul 2006, 21:42
No doubt you will sweat a lot but oh my god what a feeling!

davidatter708
14th Jul 2006, 13:30
Can i ask another question as after how many hours do most people solo? cause i soloed today at 6hrs
David

MichaelJP59
14th Jul 2006, 14:50
Can i ask another question as after how many hours do most people solo? cause i soloed today at 6hrs
David

In my experience it varies depending on flying school policy as much as anything. Some FIs think that the student needs enough training to be able to cope with a diversion to another field, some think it's OK as long as the student has the physical skills to safely do one circuit and land.

Also depends on the weather - some are ready for 1st solo and don't get to do it until much later in the course.

There was a massive thread about this, but it tends to degenerate into a bragging match about the least number of hours and whether that makes you a better pilot.

AWYRCYMRY
14th Jul 2006, 21:51
Hey davidatter708 what was it like. The reality of not having a flight instructor on the side of you, Scary,freedom,ETCETCETC:eek: . I tell you what guys you have been great help. i start a new job at the AIRPORT tomorow :O so maybe i can get some info from up there as well. KEEP IT COMING:D... THANKS

flower
14th Jul 2006, 22:10
AWYRCYMRY,

were you in the flying club Wednesday lunchtime ?

acuba 290
14th Jul 2006, 23:55
David

well...for me it was something like 22-23 hours...If you fly solo with 6 hours, i think in 10-12 hours you are ready for skill test;)

davidatter708
15th Jul 2006, 18:58
It was an amazing feeling but there is the what if something goes wrong will i not be allowed to fly again.
Acuba 290 thanks for the vote of confidence really makes me feel that i'm not a dope
David

MarcJF
15th Jul 2006, 20:43
Did Solo at 10 hours, not sure i felt ready, until you've done it i don't think you ever will, it came as a big surprise to me, but went well and i never looked back. When the time and conditions are right, you'll get to do it, enjoy and remember...