PDA

View Full Version : PPL(IR) Developments?

dublinpilot
12th Jul 2006, 12:47
Does anyone know what the current situation is with regard to streamlining the Instrument Rating?

I had thought I read somewhere last year that EASA had some proposal for something along the line of a European wide IMC rating.....but haven't heard anything about this recently.

I've read a document on the PPL/IR website from last December about some discussions they had on the matter, but there doesn't seem to be anything recent.

And as a second question, is it possible to do a JAA Single Engined IR in the US, to cut down the training costs?

dp

MayorQuimby
13th Jul 2006, 10:44
[Tumbleweed drifts by]

Oh well dublinpilot. It would appear, unfortunately, that the answer to your first question is "no".

MQ.

BlueRobin
13th Jul 2006, 15:17
Trouble here is that EASA do not effectively communicate their actions and progress to either the press or on their rather horrible website, which is why DP has to ask. If our GA publishers and editors are reading, this would be a good avenue for some invetigative journalism.

The only avenue I guess in this instance is to get into contact with the PPLIR executive directly and see if they can speak to whoever on your behalf.

IO540
14th Jul 2006, 20:07
Not sure what most recent info you have heard, dublinpilot, but mine is that the ground syllabus is down about 20% (in other words, no real change, still 1-2 years out of the life of anybody with a "life") and they will accept a part of the instrument training from the IMC Rating towards the 50hrs for the IR (55hrs for ME IR).

So, no change. EASA might do something; in fact some of their statements have been pretty radical.

The flight training has never been an issue with the JAA IR - not for anybody with the budget to actually use it. The FAA IR is just as hard. The reason people go "FAA" is a) the silly JAA ground school and b) airframe/equipment certification issues. A very occassional c) is the FAA Class 3 medical.

I've never heard of a US based JAA IR training establishment. This means nothing of course, but my "opinion" is that the CAA would never allow the income of the UK IR (i.e. ATPL) training business to be thus undermined ;) An ATPL is a very expensive proposition and lots of would-be airline pilots would go out there. Whereas with the basic PPL the comparison is much closer. OTOH I know for a fact that some European airlines (KLM?) used to train pilots in Arizona. Perhaps there is another forum on pprune where people might know. Pprune is a big place, with far more expertise/diversity in some of the airline forums than what is found here.