PDA

View Full Version : Sea King bag on a Lynx AH 7 - what gives?

Navaleye
12th Jul 2006, 12:10
Just a saw a photo of the above in a aircraft mag. Bag Lynx - interesting thought. What's the idea?

wg13_dummy
12th Jul 2006, 12:24
Just a saw a photo of the above in a aircraft mag. Bag Lynx - interesting thought. What's the idea?

You say its an AH7 and not a Navy Lynx?

If so, I suspect its Oxbow or Chancellor - airborne camera as opposed to 'bag' al la seaking.

Navaleye
12th Jul 2006, 13:02
No it had skids and mucky green paint XZ184 to be precise. The bag was on the port side. The caption said it was definately a Searchwater 2000 bag (although it looked small than the SK) and would only have a port side view. Maybe the army is doesn't like asking 849 NAS to cover its land ops and wants its won solution.

Razor61
12th Jul 2006, 15:02
Saw the same article and i can confirm it does say Searchwater 2000 although as Navaleye mentioned, it does look much smaller than that fitted to the ASaC7 (Width wise).
The RN ASaC7's have been used in most of the Army's major exercises for control, the mighty Hunter has also been used recently aswell for ISTAR i presume?, both being used lately in 'Iron Storm' so is the Army opting for their own platform?

wg13_dummy
12th Jul 2006, 15:48
A picture or link would help.

vecvechookattack
12th Jul 2006, 16:41
Is this a wind up? Are you sure it wasn't a wescam or something?
Does the AAC have the expertise to operate Searchwater? Does the Mk 7 have the legs to carry it? Why put Searchwater in a Mk7 when you already have it in an Asac ?

The Helpful Stacker
12th Jul 2006, 18:06
Sounds like Chancellor to me.

Used to pop into R850 and other sites now and then.

dum_my
12th Jul 2006, 18:08
Scroll down until you find the pic in these links:
18th May 2006 (http://www.ukar.co.uk/cgi-bin/ukarboard/ikonboard.cgi?;act=ST;f=9;t=15480) and 5th April 2006 (http://www.ukar.co.uk/cgi-bin/ukarboard/ikonboard.cgi?;act=ST;f=9;t=13558).

The Helpful Stacker
12th Jul 2006, 18:12
This (http://www.castleb.org.uk/storage/forums/1329.jpg) one you mean?

dum_my
12th Jul 2006, 18:16
Yes,
and this (http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y198/Chilts/6446.jpg) too.

rugmuncher
12th Jul 2006, 18:23
It's a trial anti-vibration device,

They are giving it a go ready for the future Lynx snags,,, oooh,, sorry,,, won't have any snags will it, only issues prior to service!!

Coffee, white, one please boss!

Oggin Dodger
12th Jul 2006, 19:47
XZ184 is on 667 D & T Sqn at Wallop. There'll be another one very similar soon on a Sea King at Boscombe Down. I could tell you what it is but then I'd have to kill you.

airborne_artist
12th Jul 2006, 20:58
I can tell you exactly what it's for.

TWA (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/4245723.stm) are trialling a rotary Dominos delivery service to hard-working grunts. The bag is in fact a warm storage container for the squaddies' grub.

NURSE
12th Jul 2006, 21:17
Just wonder when [email protected] will appear to claim army lynx doesn't carry any survelience/recce sensors? seem to have been a few mentioned here.
Mind you given the comments on searchwater radars overland performance the AAC having an Asac capability of its own might be a useful ISTAR asset. Those in the know would it be possible to run the radar from an Flynx and process the returns on the ground by datalink?

It would also release the Seaking or Merlin Asac back to its primary mission of covering the fleet.

ZH875
12th Jul 2006, 22:42
It's an Ego carrying bag for when Pilots of the world's finest polythene puffer jet require a lift. No room in cabin for Pilot and Ego so Ego goes outside.

Either that or the REME have discovered a cracking way of transporting beer to the troops at the front.:ok:

wg13_dummy
12th Jul 2006, 22:46
Well it aint Oxbow, Chancellor or Helitele.

As has been said, it's a D&T cab so it's probably an Oogamaflip Doobery.

Navaleye
12th Jul 2006, 22:50
The AAC is the only flying branch of the military without an ISTAR asset. I think they may have found one.

ZH875
12th Jul 2006, 22:50
Maybe :mad: John Prescott is due to visit troops on the front line, and this is a Prezza Pie Packup to keep his gob otherwise occupied.:)

NURSE
13th Jul 2006, 07:10
The AAC is the only flying branch of the military without an ISTAR asset. I think they may have found one.

Maybe because the Royal Artillery were given that role with Kamakazi Phoenix. But with the optics and tele systems on lynx and to a lesser extent gazelle they are able to contribute to the ISTAR picture. Added to the EW capability and ground assets. But a dedicated maned air capability would be useful. In NI the Islander/Defender has been used and I seem to remember a proposal to fit a radar to the Islander.

ORAC
13th Jul 2006, 07:20
The AAC is the only flying branch of the military without an ISTAR asset
BN2T-4S AL.1 Defender (http://www.armedforces.co.uk/army/listings/l0057.html) This type is the only fixed-wing aircraft that the AAC operates.
The AAC BN 2 Islanders carry the Thorn EMI CASTOR (Corps Airborne Stand Off Radar) that is designed to provide intelligence information in the forward edge of the battlefield (FEBA) and beyond while operating well within friendly territory. The radar, located in the nose cone of the aircraft has a 360 degree scan and offers wide coverage against moving and static targets.
The Islander has been routinely deployed with 1 Flight AAC in Northern Ireland, and also deployed with British Army SFOR contingents in the former Yugoslavia. More recently, the Army acquired three more of the type under an Urgent Operational Requirement (UOR) for service in Iraq.
The first of these was delivered in October 2004. Defensive aids system dispensers are installed in pods under the aircraft wings to improve survivability when flying into high-threat airfields in Iraq, such as Baghdad International, Basra and Al Amara. The new aircraft have the designation BN2T-4S AL.1 Defender
http://www.armedforces.co.uk/army/listings/armyislander7a8b.jpg

althenick
13th Jul 2006, 08:16
As a matter of interest what is happening with ASTOR? - Why would the Army need an ASAC capability if they are getting ASTOR? Or would this be part of the 1BN cut in the defence budget :mad:

Where R We?
13th Jul 2006, 16:37
It looks like something I was involved with last year which is quite interesting stuff and very clever.

Cutting edge technology, and if they can get it to work it will be excellent.

:ok:

14th Jul 2006, 05:27
Ah Nurse - so what use is a big radar/flir/TV whatever stuck on the side of the aircraft going to be as a battlefield recce tool. There are more than enough ISTAR assets to give you a look-down picture of the battlefield but a proper recce helo would have it's sensors mounted so the aircraft can remain concealed behind cover (even the Gazelle had its sight mounted in the roof). The Lynx does not have a mast mounted sensor, only the roof mounted TOW sight - is this the top technology that will be put on Flynx?
Lynx is great fun to fly but f-all use on the battlefield apart from flying generals about and delivering soup (mk9) - I don't believe Flynx will bring anything new to the party.

Navaleye
14th Jul 2006, 15:42
If it is Searchwater, then wouldn't a Merlin aiframe be more suitable? Longer legs. crew etc. Also might help as an SKW replacement.