PDA

View Full Version : Free NPPL course to 16-21 year olds !!!

MVE
11th Jul 2006, 17:58
- One lucky young pilot (aged 16-21!) to receive a fully funded National Private Pilots Course -(32 hours of instruction including materials, books etc and groundschool)

Old Sarum Flying Club a vibrant, Salisbury-based flying club located on the second oldest operational airfield in the UK, has today announced the launch of a flying bursary for young people aged between 16 and 21. The bursary has been established thanks to a generous anonymous donation. The donor has simply asked that the bursary be known as Paul’s Bursary in memory of their son.

To be considered for the bursary, applicants will need to state what special qualities they possess and why they would like to become a pilot. From a short list of applicants, 3 potential pilots will spend a day at Old Sarum where their flying aptitude will be assessed. At the end of the day one of the applicants will be offered a bursary consisting of a fully funded National Private Pilots Course.

“This is a wonderful opportunity for a young person with a passion for aviation, to become a pilot,” said David Scouller, Chief Flying Instructor at Old Sarum Flying Club. “Learning to fly requires discipline and commitment. The successful applicant will find that the skills they master whilst learning to fly, whether indeed they decide to pursue a career in aviation or not, will prove invaluable in any chosen career.”

Application forms are available on the Old Sarum website at www.oldsarumflyingclub.co.uk. The closing date for applications is 31st July 2006.

Best of luck and please spread the word as we have had no applications as yet!!!

Zulu Alpha
11th Jul 2006, 20:31
Does the training have to be done at Old Sarum?

MVE
11th Jul 2006, 20:38
Yes, training will be done by Old Sarum instructors at Old Sarum near Salisbury.

Plenty of cheap B and B's near by and I may be able to offer accom. at a cheap rate....to the right person!

ZH-127
12th Jul 2006, 08:26
Is the age limit of 21 strict? Im 23. I've been waiting for the NPPL to come along for sometime.

Be ideal. Shame if the age limits 21 like.

Perhaps i should apply anyhow. Ive got experience flown solo before etc.

SparkyBoy
12th Jul 2006, 09:38
I wouldn't get too excited...

11 May 2005 - Paul's Bursary: One lucky young pilot to receive a fully funded National Private Pilots Course

MVE
12th Jul 2006, 10:02
oh dear some people can't read! The Bursary application is open till the end of July, if you read the post again you will see 'Paul's Bursary' is the name of the bursary - not the recipient!!!! The closing date is 31st July 2006

captwannabe
12th Jul 2006, 11:09
What aircraft do you train in? When do you train, if selected?

Regards,
Captwannabe

MVE
12th Jul 2006, 11:20
C152, Time scale to be mutually agreed :ok:

airborne_artist
12th Jul 2006, 17:13
Is this a one-off, or will you be offering a similar bursary again in the future? Daughter #2 will be 16 in May 07.

MVE
13th Jul 2006, 07:29
As far as I am aware this very generous donation was a one-off, after the sad death of the couples son, however they have asked to remain anonymous so I am not fully aware of the details. I would suggest any interested parties apply ASAP, as since Danny kindly allowed me to place this post, we have had numerous enquiries, one from as far away as Sweden! :ok:

captwannabe
13th Jul 2006, 12:43
I would like to apply, but since I start my final year of education at the end of August, I probably wouldn't be able to train until next summer. Still, it's probably worth giving it a go.

Cheers :ok:

airborne_artist
13th Jul 2006, 15:06
My last Q on the subject.

Would an application be accepted from a 15.5 y/o, on the basis that the award was taken up in 2007?

MVE
13th Jul 2006, 17:53
I would direct that question to the website enquiries email addressed to Vicky in the title, but I suspect not. There have been plenty of applications now fitting the correct age group and the local TV are interested so even more interest to follow I'd assume, best of luck..................

MVE
15th Jul 2006, 10:07
back to the top......

MVE
16th Jul 2006, 12:12
and again...

MVE
17th Jul 2006, 17:08
L otsof applications arriving,
any more for any more?

Jenni Morton
17th Jul 2006, 21:26
How about extending the age range.............. a little

say pensioners???????????????????
just asking!
exit stage left;)

MVE
17th Jul 2006, 21:28
We do offer a course for other ages (CPl, Multi, PPL, Aeros, Tailwheel, FI, Examiner etc, but sadly YOU have to pay for those! ;-)

Jenni Morton
17th Jul 2006, 21:32
well if you don't ask -

wonder if a reality or whatever they are called programme
would be interested
loads of free(!) publicity for you
Pensioner learns to fly! (not on a broomstick)

MVE
17th Jul 2006, 21:40
You would have to join the queue behind the 3 other pensioners learning to fly including an 80 yeaar old first solo! All the best.............:ok:

captwannabe
18th Jul 2006, 14:12
Cheers for the PM. Should I include education qualifications on the application?

MVE
18th Jul 2006, 17:08
Feel free to put as much info as you think is relevant....all the best....

MVE
25th Jul 2006, 14:21
Bursary competition closes this Monday! :ok: