PDA

View Full Version : Aread Q

dv8
9th Jul 2006, 12:12
On some Aread charts precision approaches (NCL 25 & BES 29) a new shaded area below the vertical profile is now depicted
Its not in the explanatory legend or in the Aread supplements
Any thoughts on what this is representing?

Clandestino
9th Jul 2006, 21:00
As a plain Jepp user I'll make a guess... terrain profile perhaps?

OzExpat
10th Jul 2006, 07:59
I don't know about Aerad charts but ICAO has now mandated, in Annex 4 (I think), that terrain profile be shown in the profile view of approach charts where DME, or any other distance measurement (eg GNSS) can be used. Sounds like Aerad is following suit with all the Pans Ops charts that they produce for their customers.

dv8
14th Jul 2006, 09:35
Thanks
The New VOR 28 app at DUB/EIDW has it too
As I said would be nice to have it explained in legend

keithl
24th Jul 2006, 13:03
I saw this just before I went away for 2 weeks, and I was expecting someone to have answered it correctly by now...
The answer, for UK folk, is in AIC 88/2005 (yellow 178). The shaded area is minimum obstacle clearance altitude/ height and only appears on NPA charts. dv8 your original said "precision approaches" - according to the AIC, the shaded area only appears on that plate if it doubles as a LLZ-only plate.
So, those who have guessed it is a terrain profile are half right in that it is related to that. Full details and example charts in the AIC.

OzExpat
25th Jul 2006, 07:36
As always keithl, totally correct. I'd missed the reference to "precision" approach and had been thinking OCA at the time I wrote "terrain profile". And then I never thought about it again. Well done that man!:ok:

keithl
25th Jul 2006, 09:53
Blimey, OzEx, a post agreeing with me and telling me I'm right??!! This is pPrune, isn't it? I must have slipped into a parallel universe or something...

OzExpat
26th Jul 2006, 07:20
No mate, nothing like that. I'm merely embarrassed at the unusually poor - and indeed inaccurate - wording of my original response. Worst part is that I can't even shovel the blame for it onto the "demon drink" coz I was sober at the time. Maybe I shouldn't post at all until suitably inebriated eh?:E