PDA

View Full Version : Qantas -- SYD JFK

shon7
9th Jul 2006, 04:40
Why does Qantas not fly direct between SYD and JFK? Why does that flight have to be routed via LAX?

Sonny Hammond
9th Jul 2006, 05:07
Because they don't make the 747-400 with big enough fuel tanks yet.
They could probably make to Vegas on a good day then they'd be gliding.

Mike773
9th Jul 2006, 09:46
They'd also need an a/c with a massively increased AGTOW to life all that extra fuel.

The 777-200LR and other long-range twins might make it possible one day.

Ascend Charlie
9th Jul 2006, 22:25
Just did that flight 2 days ago - Sy-LA took 13 hrs 20 and LA-JFK took 5 hrs 15, a big haul if you tried it in one hit.:eek:

Keg
10th Jul 2006, 02:27
Great circle track:
SYD-LAX 7488 nm
SYD-JFK 9950nm

An extra 4:20 @ 500 knots! :eek: I can hear others calculating the O/T already! :E

tinpis
10th Jul 2006, 02:42
Great circle track:
SYD-LAX 7488 nm
SYD-JFK 9950nm

Why not go the other way?:rolleyes:

Bolty McBolt
10th Jul 2006, 05:21
I can NOT believe that "shon7" has got off so easy with this question .

Surely its UN-AUSTRALIAN to let someone off with a question such as this without being lambasted for it ????

Come on people .Fire up :ok:

Eagleman
10th Jul 2006, 05:54
Given poor old shon7 launched this thread below, we might be dealing with a new Jetstar Management pilot

Brake Temperature
Upon arrival at the gate and after coming to a complete stop if you see the brake temperature rising would this indicate that the airplane has been chocked incorrectly?

What would a rise in brake temperature and pressure indicate in such a scenario?

noip
10th Jul 2006, 06:09
OK, after years of lurking, shon7 got me to register ....

First, Keg (with his magnificent contributions to sanity over the years), really means statute miles - SYD-LAX is 6600 nautical miles - or at least that's what the flight plan keeps telling me.

The simple facts are, that a 747ER can do about 16 hours flight time with 182 tonnes Jet A (that's what we squeezed on the other week). Even if SYD-LAX were 13 hrs, that still leaves you 2 hrs short to get to JFK. And why would you want to go to JFK with less than 15 tonnes?

To answer tinpis .... SYD-JFK eastbound IS the shortest way. To go the other way is into headwinds.

Rgs.

Keg
10th Jul 2006, 09:32
Oops. Bugger. :uhoh: :{

noip is obviously far more senior than me. :p I'm only due for my first SYD-LAX later this week which means that I didn't notice the obvious (now) error. I didn't even gross error check the flight time with the distance. Mistake was using the 'default' units of sm rather than changing to nm! :ugh:

Correct figures are:
SYD-LAX 6507
SYD-JFK 8646

I use this web site:

http://gc.kls2.com It's great for all sorts of calculations. Have a look at some of the ETOPS issues on various city pairs. Of course, they use about 380 knots as their ETOPS speed and they provide a link that tells you why they don't allow you to specify your own company ETOPS speeds.

Enjoy.

PS: Noip, thanks for the vote of confidence. Sorry to let you down on this one! :( :D :ok:

Going Boeing
11th Jul 2006, 02:58
Keg, does the great circle track SYD-JFK pass north or south of LAX?

DirectAnywhere
11th Jul 2006, 03:06
I'm not Keg, but it's south. Check the link below.

http://gc.kls2.com/cgi-bin/gc?PATH=SYD-LAX%0D%0ASYD-JFK&RANGE=&PATH-COLOR=&PATH-UNITS=mi&SPEED-GROUND=&SPEED-UNITS=kts&RANGE-STYLE=best&RANGE-COLOR=&MAP-STYLE=

Eagleman
11th Jul 2006, 03:13
Hey Keg, are you sure your ready to operate to JFK?

Keg
11th Jul 2006, 05:29
Hey Keg, are you sure your ready to operate to JFK?

Strange sort of question Eagleman! Whether the answer is yes or no (and I have a personal opinion on that one anyway) it's ultimately all a bit academic really. I'm not going there in the next four weeks and I'll be nothing short of astounded if I go there on any trips in the bid period after that. Give me LHR every day of the week before a crappy AKL-LAX-JFK trip. :eek: :p

Taildragger67
11th Jul 2006, 09:06
Give me LHR every day of the week before a crappy AKL-LAX-JFK trip. :eek: :p

At least you can leave the hotel...

(and recently it's been very nice down at the Blue Anchor for an evening pint! Only three tube stops & a short walk.)

The GC track on the link above - tracking south of LA - was, I think, one reason why Qantas (back in about 2000) was planning to go to DFW direct and ordered the ERs. 11 Sep stuffed those plans a bit.

Actually those speaking with the 'birdies' - would a 777 variant able to do YSSY-EGLL direct both ways (reliably year-round), also be able to reliably do direct JFK without payload uplift restriction year-round?

galaxy flyer
11th Jul 2006, 17:33
Question for QF'ers:

Does Qantas operate east of LAX, i.e. JFK, ORD, and BOS or are they code shares? I have flown to OZ via LAX on AA flights from JFK. What equipment and schedule? Do it non-stop and my wife might even go.

GF

noip
11th Jul 2006, 20:10
GF,

QF operates 5 times / week LAX-JFK with 747-400 aircraft.
QF108 .. JFK-LAX-SYD
QF107 .. SYD-LAX-JFK

If you escape JFK with no major delays, you can even change at LAX and go:
QF94 LAX - MEL (Melbourne)
QF26 LAX - AKL (Auckland)

There was the intention to go LAX - ORD a few years ago, but that was scrubbed just before the services started.

Rgds

Jetsbest
11th Jul 2006, 23:27
There were persistent rumours in the QF corridors a few years ago about SYD-DFW direct if/when a suitable platform could be found (777LR/747ER); the idea being that it would match better with the big American Airlines hub there for onwards networking on codeshare flights while avoiding the LAX bottleneck.

SARS & 9/11 put such talk to bed until recently again, but I've now heard informally from an AA pilot that AA no longer has a DFW base. Can anyone shed light on;
- whether that means the AA hub is also scaled back,
- perhaps it's just the crew base that's closed? and
- what're the alternatives, if any, being talked about in the QF-400 bars around the world?
I'm having trouble raising my previous contact...

regitaekilthgiwt
12th Jul 2006, 00:28
A month or so ago there was talk from the DCP at a meeting of the possibility of another North American destination and a couple of South American destinations. Also 400 will be going back to NRT as of next year. So I guess we will just have to wait and see....

Bolty McBolt
12th Jul 2006, 04:09
To those whom have flown the route LAX-JFK I will bet non of you flew the great circle route to get there.

I have seen QF planes fuelled LAX-JFK with 90 - 100 K of fuel during the Tornado season, with accompanying flight plans flying over gulf of Mexico to Florida before making a left to fly up the coast via walla walla washington to JFk, or flying adjacent the Canadian border as far as SEA-TAC then down the coast for LAX.
Even with a 777-200ER you may not be able to make the distance SYD - JFK

Taildragger67
12th Jul 2006, 08:33
There were persistent rumours in the QF corridors a few years ago about SYD-DFW direct if/when a suitable platform could be found (777LR/747ER); the idea being that it would match better with the big American Airlines hub there for onwards networking on codeshare flights while avoiding the LAX bottleneck.

Rumours? I'm pretty sure it was stated in press releases at the time. I'll have a scratch around for some from the relevant time.

Re looking at 777s again, here's a quote from Gregg (Dow Jones News) from 22 June:
'After deciding in December to purchase Boeing's 787 Dreamliner and shelving plans for hub-busting Airbus A340 or Boeing 777 on economic grounds, Gregg says, "we're still evaluating opportunities there, we haven't made a final decision, but it's looking increasingly difficult at the moment with the current technology."'