PDA

View Full Version : Can't decide which headset...

sstaurus
7th Jul 2006, 00:57
Yes, I know, another headset thread, but there hasn't been in a while, and maybe someone can help me make a decision, please! I think this is representative of some good choices for new students.

I am in PPL training, so I don't want a super-duper Bose X headset, but I don't want something of cheap quality either.

Does anyone have experience with the following headsets:
-Flightcom Denali PNR
-Avcomm AC-900 PNR
-Lightspeed 15XLC ANR

The Denali has the unique design I'm intrigued with, is it really better? The Avcomm is here as the value choice but still has lots of features, and the Lightspeed is an entry-level affordable ANR headset. Which would you prefer?

Of course, there's always the usual DC H10-13.4, but I'm looking at other options that might be better here.

Thanks for your opinions!

gcolyer
7th Jul 2006, 09:17
While i was training i got myself a set of ASA's not suer which model, but they where/are great. They only cost $99 I think they sound better than my DC's.

Mariner9
7th Jul 2006, 09:30
I've got the Denali's and think they're the dogs whatsits. Would recommend you get down to a dealer to try on a variety though before committing to a purchase.

acuba 290
7th Jul 2006, 09:36
i bought same one my instructor used, its very good quality and not so expensive: SENNHEISER HME100

dublinpilot
7th Jul 2006, 09:54
Sstaurus,

The thing about such a question, is that everyone will tell you that the headset that they have is the best. Very few people will recommond a headset that a friend has, over their own. Very few people will critise their own. In reality, most people have only used 2 or 3 different headsets, and as a result don't have a lot to compair between.

I'll refrain from recommonding my own headset (which I too think is brilliant). But what I will say is this. Don't buy a cheap one thinking you'll buy a more expensive one when you get your licence. That is a waste of money. Buy the best that you can afford. A good quality headset should last you a very long time (assuming you don't abuse it), and should protect your hearing. Once you've damaged your hearing, that's it....no getting it back.

A good headset will also allow you to hear ATC more clearly making your training easier and quicker (thus saving you money), and make your flying more enjoyable.

Ask to borrow some from any friends you know, or to swap with your instructor for the lesson, to get an idea of different types.

dp

172driver
7th Jul 2006, 09:54
I reckon the biggest problem with deciding on a headset is the fact that you cannot try them out under real-world conditions, at least not to my knowledge. For a purchase that can run into several hundreds of pounds, not a great situation. Haven't really got a solution for this either (other than borrowing a friend's set and trying it while flying), but is there anywhere you can test them in a sort of 'noise chamber' ?

Longbow55
7th Jul 2006, 10:04
I am using the lightspeed QFR XCc and like these allot

Rod1
7th Jul 2006, 10:14
Get on ebay. You will find you can get top kit at very good prices. I have picked up several boxed items “as new” which are giving good service.

Rod1

rustle
7th Jul 2006, 10:36
FLYER magazine did a survey of the cheaper headsets one or two issues ago (May have been the May 2006 issue)

You could do worse than invest (approx) £4 and read that if you haven't already...

Pudnucker
7th Jul 2006, 11:18
I've got the Bose Aviation X headset which is absolutely fantastic. Saved a bundle of money by buying it in the states last year for about £400. If you were thinking of spending that much, may be worthwhile waiting until you get out there (or get a mate to do it)... Armed with cash seemed to help also.

I bought a basic Pooley's set (about £100) while training which has also proved to be really good

Gargleblaster
7th Jul 2006, 11:22
I've always used Peltor 8006. Excellent value for not-too-much money, £160 or so. Good noise attenuation.

tangovictor
7th Jul 2006, 14:42
I tried the " beyerdynamic" headset at Booker airshow, so light, you hardly knew you had them on, no idea of prices though,

172driver
7th Jul 2006, 14:51
I tried the " beyerdynamic" headset at Booker airshow, so light, you hardly knew you had them on, no idea of prices though,

EUR 219 according to their website

UAU242
7th Jul 2006, 22:17
i just bought the £99 avcomm one as cant afford anything expensive right now....feel like i've made a mistake though now! will be trying it out on monday!

Mad Girl
8th Jul 2006, 05:49
I'm having a sit down chat with my instructor today on the very same issue - which headset???
(I've had no end of problems with the club sets over the last 3 weeks and want my own).

Luckily..... my FI is an electonics engineer in his week job so should know what he's talking about.
I know he's a David Clarke fan for his own purposes but he's also EXTREMELY conscious of the cash situation when you're learning to fly so is likely to give good sound advice to find the best deal for the budget (I'm happy to go to £300 - but I want a VERY decent entry level headset for that).

I'll report back later..

Shunter
8th Jul 2006, 07:45
I had a DC and a couple of Peltors hanging around, but kept seeing these things called Skylite SL900's on eBay. Never heard of them, some far eastern manufacturer, but I took a gamble, bought a pair and they're actually really really good. Light, comfy, crystal clear.

£65 for a set which easily betters those at twice its price. I use them in preference to the DC's now. Oh, and most importantly I got a free bag ;)