PDA

View Full Version : Megeve: QDM's (Very Short) Mountain Flying Experience

QDMQDMQDM
5th Jul 2006, 15:34
So I phoned up last week and talked to one of the instructors. Can I come down this week and start the mountain flying qualification in my own aircraft, Sunday to Friday?

Yes, sure, very start of the tourist season, but shouldn't be too busy. He was going off on holiday, but discussed it with the chief pilot. Aiming for at least one, likely two flights a day. Weather permitting, should be able to make a start on the qualification. Emails exchanged and arrangement to be picked up at Annecy for last Sunday made. On Saturday email received to say pickup on Sunday not possible, but could do Monday morning. OK, confirmed by phone call to chief pilot by me.

Tootle down in the Super Cub to Annecy, 7.5 hrs from Devon, get there Sunday pm. Sure enough, up turns chief pilot in a Robin on Monday morning, hops into the SC and off we go to Megeve. So far, so good.

Get to Megeve and nothing said about any further flying. Talk to the secretary: all full, no space to fly, prob until Wednesday. Tackle the chief pilot: sorry, too busy to fly with me. Might possibly manage an hour at the very end of the day, Monday, but definitely nothing Tuesday. Might manage something Wednesday.

So that was it. I had flown all the way down from England to be told they didn't have time to fly with me. I had an hour with one of the instructors at the end of the day Monday which was OK, but I had spent all day Monday in perfect weather sitting at the airfield like a droopy loose part and wasn't going to keep doing that all through Tuesday, with the hope of a crumb of a flight on Wednesday. Most of all, they didn't really seem to have any interest in teaching me.

So I buggered off on Monday night, back to Annecy and then came back to the UK yesterday, Tuesday. 15 hours round trip for naff all.

I wouldn't say don't go to Megeve because others have had good experiences there and they are clearly highly skilled pilots. What I would say is make double, triple sure they are committed to giving you training. I don't think I had really intruded on their consciousness.

I do feel very badly and rather contemptuously treated. I flew 15 hours for nothing essentially. At any time they could have said, "No, sorry, we're too busy". But they didn't. They just let me come and then said they couldn't fly with me. They hadn't thought it through.

I'd still like to do it, but will try Meribel next time. All very dispiriting.

David

Colonel Panic
5th Jul 2006, 15:45
Very sorry to hear that - I was due to go out in a few weeks time to do the same thing. Maybe I should look elsewhere instead ...
At least I wasn't planning to fly down myself :uhoh:

QDMQDMQDM
5th Jul 2006, 16:37
CP,

If you're going to go to Megeve, get an explicit commitment from them as to the time they will spend flying with you. The big problem at the moment is that they are flying lots of sightseeing flights round Mont Blanc for tourists. This is their bread and butter and clearly earns them more than flight tuition (especially in someone's own aircraft). As the tourist season progresses, and the French go on holiday, the demand for tourist flights will increase.

QDM