PDA

View Full Version : Any knowledge on PPLs at Denham or Wycombe?

AlmondBeach
4th Jul 2006, 22:46
Hello

Does anyone have experience of completing a PPL at Denham (either 'Cabair' or 'The Pilot Centre') or Wycombe ('British Airways Flying Club' or 'Wycomber Air Centre) - and which is the best option?

I live about 2 miles from Denham and 20 miles from Wycombe

Thanks

AB

OpenCirrus619
5th Jul 2006, 08:46
THE PILOT CENTRE gets my vote.

At the very least pop in there and have a chat - its a friendly place. (In fact my best advice would be to do that at all 4 schools).

OC619

AlmondBeach
5th Jul 2006, 08:55
Hi

Thanks for the response....

I have visisted all four schools - and they are seem quite similar....

Hence the question - and request for help...

Thanks

AB

Aussie Andy
5th Jul 2006, 12:28
I learned at BAFC in 2000 and am still a member, so they get my vote for excellent training, high standards, well looked after aircraft. I have a friend who is learning at Wycombe Air Centre and he is very satisfied there -- the choice betewewn the two is essentially high-wing Cessnas versus low wing Pipers, not that it matters much.

But if I were you I would go for Denham as you live so much closer... this will give you much more flexibility especailly when the wx is sh1te (as it is for much of the year!) and you will be needing to cancel and re-arrange training slots etc.

Cheers!

Andy :ok:

Dan Dare
5th Jul 2006, 12:29
I'd say that you would not get better training and experience than at Wycombe (either BAFC or WAC). You would be in a busy environment with full ATC and top-notch instructors. You should also consider that will not find a more social airfield than White Waltham, which is no further away from you than Wycombe.
Having said that I can certainly see the appeal of being 2 miles from the flying school and in the long run this will probably to be a better option for you both socially and for popping down to the airfield for a quick after-work flight. I have flown with The Pilot Centre and Cabair. TPC seemed a competent run-of-the-mill family run flying school. Not much to say about them really. Cabair probably appear more professional with their glitzy premises and uniforms, but I think that is the illusion with which they entice their new students. They are no certainly no better than the competition and my impression is that some of their poor, young instructors may be more interested in building their hours than in your training [/Generalisation]. I have never really been too impressed with Cabair, and I don't think people stay with them for long post-PPL for hiring, so you would probably end up hiring from TPC anyway.

BroomstickPilot
5th Jul 2006, 12:54
AlmondBeach,

There is another club I suggest you take a look at based at Elstree, namely the Firecrest Club. I haven't flown there, but it was one of the clubs I looked at when I was choosing somewhere to fly. The only reason I didn't fly there was because I decided it was just too far to travel from where I live.

Firecrest Club offers what must be the cheapest flying anywhere within 50 miles of London. It is a small club with only an office to operate out of and the aeroplanes, though seemingly well maintained are, I imagine, probably quite old.

The reason it is so cheap seems to be because it is run wholly by its members on a volunteer basis, rather than by full time, employed staff. 'Seemed to be a nice crowd there too; I liked them.

Go and take a look.

Broomstick.

SQUAWKIDENT
5th Jul 2006, 12:59
I fly with The Pilot Centre at Denham. I live in Fulham so it's the closest airfield to me with easy access from West London.

Denham is an excellent (and challenging) airfield to train at whichever club you choose. 24/06 is the hard runway and quite short (775m), the circuit is a tight left hand (06) or right hand (24) at just 750AAL to keep you under the London CTR. I found the combination of shortish runway and tight circuits to my liking in basic training.

The Pilot Centre use very well maintained 152's for their basic training and I find all their instructors are friendly, approachable and professional.

I flew briefly with CABAIR at Denham but found them to be a bit too biased towards professional flight training - it is also more expensive than The Pilot Centre. I flew with BA at Wycombe many years ago but moved to Denham due to its location nearer my home and am glad I made the move. It's a super little airfield.

Feel free to PM me if you want any more info

Regards

Adam

Aussie Andy
5th Jul 2006, 13:00
run wholly by its members on a volunteer basisThat's interesting, and can work in my experience as long as there is a core of hard-working individuals that make the place tick (I am thinking of RAF Benson Flying Club where I am also a member and it works really well - thanks to the dedication of a few!)...
Andy :ok:

A and C
5th Jul 2006, 18:59
Cabair are very good at parting you with your money by charging for all sorts of things and these add up to quite a tidy sum.

With both the BAFC and WAC you will find that there is none of the "extra charge" business that Cabair are so good at.

Go to Wycombe and you will get a better deal no matter which club you fly with.

Southern Cross
6th Jul 2006, 09:57
I'd recommend The Pilot Centre. Small & friendly. Never under-estimate the importance of flying from somewhere as close as possible. Few people have unlimited reserves of time available for whatever reason. I think you'll find that TPC is probably one of the cheapest places to learn at as well, if that is of any importance.

SC

PilotOnline
6th Jul 2006, 15:00
The Pilot Centre at Denham gets my vote. I did my PPL with Cabair, then all my hour building etc at TPC. TPC is a very professional family run business and has a much more relaxed and friendly feel to it than Cabair, which whilst also professional, feels more like a sausage factory than a flying school. The airfield itself is nice too!

neilcharlton
6th Jul 2006, 15:47
I fly at the Pilot centre also , nice aircraft , nice instructors etc.
125 per hr isnt the cheapest but you have no landing fees and they dont charge for ground school.

I really look forward to my lessons there , the airspace and field is quite busy so you need to be on the ball overall a good place to learn

I live in madia vale and can get to the field in about 1/2 hr depending on traffic.

I never really tried any other schools as i was very happy with the service at the pilot centre.

As others have said theres not much in the way of club atmosphere but the other pilots i've spoke to there have been very friendly.

It would be nice to maybe meet up with other students at the school for a beer perhaps if anyone is up for it . [email protected]

good luck

walkabout
6th Jul 2006, 19:54
I did my PPL with Cabair at Denham, my night and taildragger training with The Pilot Centre and my multi rating at WAC.
As you'll find there will be many unexpected delays, not just weather, in your flying training so, although I thought the training at WAC was very good, in my view its was not better than you'll find at Denham, you will save yourself a lot of time and hassle by flying at your local strip!
Of the 2 options at Denham, I'd recommend The Pilot Centre - I thought the quality of the training was excellent and its better value for money than the local alternative.
But training is very personal and subjective - how you interact with your instructor is very important so regardless of the 'organisation', that relationship and its continuity is key. Although I'm unlikely to go back to Cabair for flight training for the reasons others have alluded to, my instructor there was great and the reason I stayed. So wherever you chose to train, if its not working, discuss it but ultimately move if you feel you need to.
W

betterfromabove
7th Jul 2006, 18:15
Would re-iterate what everyone else has said about The Pilot Centre... I started my PPL there while also having the (mis)fortune of living in Uxbridge. Due to job moves, had to go through two other schools before I finished, but always wished I'd been able to stay with TPC. Have since travelled around & flown at perhaps a dozen other schools & found few as friendly... :{

There's a lot to be said for family-run thing.

bellend
7th Jul 2006, 19:50
Go with the Pilot Center ,Cheap .no landing fees, friendly and lovely aircraft all PA28s have GPS :ok:

really you wont look back

Snakecharmer
8th Jul 2006, 10:08
I've flown from both airfields as a visitor in recent years. The Pilot Centre was the only organization to impress.

mungo_55
12th Jul 2006, 15:34
Yep, I'd recommend The Pilot Centre as well. I did a lot of flying there about a year ago. Very friendly, relaxed atmosphere and well run. It also has a social scene, which many clubs don't offer.