PDA

View Full Version : Flying school in coventry, Midlands?

2gud2btrue
4th Jul 2006, 17:54
I am about start my MBA in coventry in october this year but will also like to to get a ppl and eventually do the whole stuff because i have real intrests in flying. I will like to know if there are any good flying schools in that area that are also reasonably fair in prices.

mcgoo
4th Jul 2006, 18:05
i have used almat flying club, its a small operation but i was impressed by them

2gud2btrue
4th Jul 2006, 18:21
hi.any contact details or website address?thx

BlueRobin
5th Jul 2006, 14:50
www.almat.co.uk

At Baginton, you also have

Atlantic Flight Training www.flyaft.com
AWA Flying Group www.flyawa.co.uk
Coventry Flying School - www.covaero.com
Midland Air Training - www.mats.uki.net

AFT are mainly into the pro side and have pries to reflect but still they are good. AWA are not for profit and voluntarily run. Very cheap but you do get what you pay for (*I'm a member and you can learn for about £90/hr). CFS seem a nicely run private club but don't have the cheapest prices in the world. MATS have three very old Cherokees but they are well-maintained and aslways flying so the club must be doing something right. Almat though having no direct experience is where you may find the right balance.

If you are rich and old enough to do a MBA, then you should have a car. Have you also considered popping over to Wellesbourne where heavy traffic (those pesky 737s) does not interrupt your training?

I would recommend Wellesbourne Aviation www.wellaviate.co.uk

1d2d3d4d
5th Jul 2006, 20:41
I would second blue robin!

I am learning with Wellesbourne Aviation and I have found them friendly, professional and very helpful. I visited about 4 FTO's before starting my training and I have been very happy with my choice.

Just as an aside, if you learn at Coventry you will probably do much of your circuit work at Wellesbourne anyway.The ciruit is always full of Coventry traffic when Coventry airfield is closed for circuits.

Regards Chris

davidatter708
5th Jul 2006, 20:53
Bit further away but very good www.leciestershireaeroclub.com (http://www.leciestershireaeroclub.com)
David

BlueRobin
5th Jul 2006, 21:45
Dear boy... ;)

Now you know where my moniker stems from, by jove

http://www.leicestershireaeroclub.com/ would be a more accurate URL. Slightly more difficult to get to, but not overly so. All depends on where 2gud2btrue is living. Lots of Cov (ahem, Warwick Uni) students live in Leamington so you might not necessarily want to go to LAC. On the other hand, if you are commuting from say Lutterworth, then LAC may be the one to go for.

AerBabe
6th Jul 2006, 07:51
I learned with AWA at Coventry, but this was about 6 years ago, before the place got really busy. I think they still have mostly the same instructors, so I'd definitely recommend you give them a try.

BlueRobin
6th Jul 2006, 09:47
AWA - the problem is that the instructor's rota is such that a duty FI will only attend the same weekend day every fortnight. Consistency could be a problem. There are other instructors who may be able to do every weeek but its difficult to get this information. Their voluntary nature does detract somewhat from being well-run, e.g. compared to WA however I have seen poorly run fully-commercial schools! But as I said, you get what you pay for. If you can forego £20/hr... :p

AerBabe
6th Jul 2006, 11:12
The voluntary nature means the instructors want to teach. I never had any problems with consistency - I just asked them for what I wanted, and they were more than helpful. I still keep in touch with my main instructor and he's still helpful, even though we've not flown together for years.

BlueRobin
6th Jul 2006, 11:23
I was leaning toward a factor within the rota system rather than the instructor himself being inconsistent.

AerBabe
6th Jul 2006, 11:30
I could see that.
I was trying to explain that the instructors themselves were more than helpful in accommodating people so they could fly with the same students.

wet wet wet
6th Jul 2006, 12:21
2gud2btrue

This was dealt with in a previous thread
http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?t=191632&
The advice given then still holds true.

Good luck with your PPL and MBA!