PDA

View Full Version : Differences training instructor

BroomstickPilot
4th Jul 2006, 11:06
Hi Guys,

I have heard that there may be a qualification (I'm sure it won't be a rating) that allows a PPL to give 'differences' instruction to another PPL on a specific aircraft type (as long as the newcomer's licence is current).

Say, for example, your group operates an AA5 Tiger and someone not current on Tigers comes along and asks to join the group. If you have somone in the group with the qualification, they would be able to check out the new group member on the AA5.

First of all, does it exist? If it does, what's it's correct title and who issues it?

Anyone know anything about this?

Broomstick.

Say again s l o w l y
4th Jul 2006, 11:26
Differences training is specific to Variable Pitch Propellors, Turbo/Supercharging, Retractable Undercarriage, Tail wheel and Pressurisation. Soon it will encompass single power lever controls and glass cockpits. (ie a TAA- Technically Advanced Aeroplane)

So, most PPL's will not require any differences training with an FI if they are simply moving between one SEP (Single Engine Piston) type of aircraft. A club or syndicate may enforce a checkout on a specific TYPE, but the class rating means that this isn't a legal responsibility. (Though a very sensible one.)

You may however be thinking about a CRI (Class Rating Instructor) rather than an FI.

As is usual in questions like these, the answer lies in LASORS which I'll reproduce here.

CRI(SPA) PRIVILEGES
The holder of a CRI(SPA) rating can instruct licence holders for the issue of a type or class rating for single-pilot aeroplanes. The holder may instruct on single pilot single-engine or multi-engine aeroplanes, subject to being appropriately qualified, as per JAR-FCL 1.310(a).

H3.2 CRI(SPA) COURSE FOR SINGLE-ENGINE CLASS RATING
An applicant for the issue of a CRI(SPA) rating for single-engine aeroplanes shall have:
a) A valid SEP (Land), SET (Land), TMG Class Rating or a Single-Pilot Single-Engine Type Rating.
b) Completed at least 300 hours flight time as pilot of aeroplanes.
c) Completed at least 30 hours as PIC on the applicable type or class of aeroplane prior to commencing the course.
d) Completed an approved course at an approved FTO or TRTO of at least three hours flight instruction on the aeroplane or a flight simulator given by an instructor approved for this purpose
(see Appendix 2 to JAR-FCL 1.380)
;and
e) Passed the relevant elements of a FI Skill Test in a single pilot, single engine aeroplane with a suitably qualified FIE(A)

BroomstickPilot
4th Jul 2006, 12:14
Say again s l o w l y,

Yes, I think that's surely what I must have been hearing about.

I've found it in my own copy of LASORS now and can now read it up.

Very many thanks, SAS.

EGBKFLYER
4th Jul 2006, 12:18
Just to add to SAS's excellent reply, LASORS section F states:

'In order to change to a different type or variant of aeroplane, within the same class rating, or another variant within the same type rating, Differences or Familiarisation Training is required. Differences Training must be done with an appropriately qualified Type or Class Rating Instructor or Flight Instructor.'

Mark 1
4th Jul 2006, 12:20
The PFA coaching scheme uses mostly CRI accreditted coaches.

I'd recommend these people if you're thinking about doing the course:
http://www.ontrackaviation.com/cri-se.htm

EGBKFLYER
4th Jul 2006, 12:22
So would I - did my FIC with them and they were excellent.

BroomstickPilot
6th Jul 2006, 08:12
Many thanks, Guys, one and all.

Broomstick.